Door Ding PDR

Just had a door ding removed from my 2 month old Kodiaq a kind BMW driver left for me along with some of his red paint.

I know other people have said it, but I park well away from everyone else and I come back quite often to find the car surrounded? Perhaps this is human nature or something?

I previously had a race blue vRS Octy for 2 years and not a scratch.

Anyhow I had the dent sorted by Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) by Dave at Dent Craft now in Garretts Green, Birmingham - highly recommended if you are in the West Midlands. He took the dent out in a few minutes while I watched, absolute magic - you cannot tell where it was.

He also sorted out a few dings on SWMBO Yeti, and again it was faultless.

He charges around £50 per panel but I suppose it depends how much work is involved.

Anyhow I don’t think I’ll be as upset next time it happens (and it will) as it’s just an annoyance and a bit of cash to sort it (first world problem eh?)

PS it’s nice that the Kodiaq has the door protectors fitted to reduce the chance of me or my family from accidentally doing the same, it would make me feel so bad as it’s such a pet hate of my own.

Edited by Greenliner1
Added PDR definition

1 hour ago, Greenliner1 said:

Just had a door ding removed from my 2 month old Kodiaq a kind BMW driver left for me along with some of his red paint.

I know other people have said it, but I park well away from everyone else and I come back quite often to find the car surrounded? Perhaps this is human nature or something?

It's a uniquely British thing, a very needy mindset.

For some reason, the British need to be close to others, don't ask me why.

At my gym, there are 200 lockers in the male dressing room, I am first in and yet 99 times out of 100 when I have finished my workout after two hours there will be some effeminate looking shemale occupying the locker next to mine.

Never mind the fact that there are 196 free lockers, they want the one next to me.

Go figure? Me? I'd shoot every last one of them but I guess that would get me labelled as something or other.

Doesn't change the fact that they are needy.

@SkodaVRS1963 perhaps they just want to be friendly .....? I think Clarkson said something similar and it didn’t do him any good.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the British psychology and the need to queue (the barbers shop being the perfect example of course). I’ve got to say through as British it really pees me off when abroad and some locals appear to have little courtesy - mostly resembling a free for all whenever waiting for something (other British in the queue can easily be identified by the disbelieving stares and loud tutting), though I’m generalising and I’m sure this doesn’t apply everywhere and to everyone. Anyhow I digress- the car will get polished and sealed now the ding is sorted but when the rain eventually gives up.

‘63:  Presumably you had a reason to pick a locker in a particular zone of the room. Perhaps the other people have the same reason.  After all, if you were away busy gymming, or whatever you call it, they wouldn’t know who had which locker?

Why do you prefer he-males close to you?  Perhaps it worries them!

I think all this talk about locker rooms and shemales is very concerning and highly inappropriate.

This is a car site. I want to talk about the most appropriate  lube to get my tight nuts off, my alarming levels of exhaust gas and the suspicious crack I can see in my big end. 

This thread has taken a weird turn, it was supposed to be about PDR and inconsiderate parking.

So here goes - ‘63 I think you are getting confused by Metrosexual Millenials, just wait, they’ll get confused by generation Z in turn and so on. It’s the generation gap thing. I’m not sure they are too concerned with door dings and PDR, or maybe they are or will be when they get a bit older?

TheRobinK, you’ll need a rebore and your bottom end rebuilding, sorry can’t help you with your emission problems.

Edited by Greenliner1

You're probably right. I'd have hoped a rebore of my bottom end would solve my emissions issue... but I think I'll go for a full diagnostic first. Gotta be safer than asking the shemales in SkodaVRS1963's locker room to help me out.

He's probably OK the VRS though, as his rear has a diffuser and a sound generator. He can probably change his emission noises by playing with his knob in the cabin. 

I just have a Superb Estate. I'm all length but no knob, I'm sad to say.  Still, maybe thats why people park close to me in Ireland too - they're hoping it will rub off on them?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DaveMiller said:

Why do you prefer he-males close to you?  Perhaps it worries them!

I prefer *nobody* close to me, in Tesco car park or in my gym.  I've parked 400yds from the store entrance for a reason.

If there are 1,000 free spaces in the said Tesco car park, go and use one of those FFS.  Don't park your 2011 Golf so close to my pride and joy that I struggle to get into it.

My psychotherapist told me, and she insisted it was off the record, that closure on the matter would be to damage those cars extensively using a sharp metal object.

Guess who just bought a very heavy-duty flatblade steel screwdriver for £5 from Wickes? 😛

‘63 don’t forget 

HANLON’S RAZOR:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

In other words they’re not doing it deliberately to upset you, they’re doing it because they’re idiots!

• Like 1

On a related note I recently had the option to park at an airport and leave my car at the hotel. When I dug a bit I found that they moved the cars off site and dropped it back on your return.

The thought of this horrified me, especially after reading some of the customer reviews and the issues / damage they had happen. If I was driving a ‘banger’ no problem smash and thrash away, but not my pride and joy. (Good reason to get an old tatty car as well?)

I parked in the long stay at the end of a row and the car was exactly as I left it and where I left it on return thanks. I just want to avoid I’d it getting damaged in the first place and I don’t think these parking companies / drivers give two hoots about your car.

42 minutes ago, Greenliner1 said:

‘63 don’t forget 

HANLON’S RAZOR:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

In other words they’re not doing it deliberately to upset you, they’re doing it because they’re idiots!

A genuine, genuine thank you for that, I'll bear it in mind.

You know when they talk about "The Kennedy Moment"....i.e, everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news that JFK had been assassinated?

I have two of them; my first "Kennedy Moment" (and I can't explain why) was 19th January 2008......we had a fully loaded BA jet bellyflopping short of the runway at Heathrow, a stolen MOD laptop containing the personal details of 600,000 civilians, a British tourist murdered in New Zealand.............and the most read story on the BBC News website?  Vera dies in dramatic Corrie exit.

My second was 5th April 2001; Liverpool were playing Barcelona at the Nou Camp in the first leg of their UEFA Cup semi-final, all kick-offs in these group matches were tightly co-ordinated so that no side could gain an advantage by knowing what was going on in the other matches..........the FA insisted that the kick-off was changed because EastEnders would be revealing the identity of the person who shot ‘bad boy’ Phil Mitchell.

To enable viewers to watch the programme until its 8pm end time, the game started 15 minutes later than usual and the rest of Europe laughed at us.

Probably one of our darkest hours.

It was at that point that I realised almost every Brit could safely be categorised as "dumb".

Nothing in the last eighteen years has changed that.

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

My psychotherapist told me, and she insisted it was off the record, that closure on the matter would be to damage those cars extensively using a sharp metal object.

Guess who just bought a very heavy-duty flatblade steel screwdriver for £5 from Wickes? 😛

I’d suggest getting a different psychotherapist as that one isn’t doing you any favours. 👩‍⚕️

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 09/06/2019 at 18:06, john999boy said:

I’d suggest getting a different psychotherapist as that one isn’t doing you any favours. 👩‍⚕️

Oh, trust me, her advice is *very* cathartic.  Only today at my gym I managed to release my emotions (via the medium of the aforesaid screwdriver) on the she-male who'd parked right next to me even though 75% of the car park was empty.

That scraping sound of metal on metal is *truly* fantastic.

17 plate Audi as well.  Shame.

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Oh, trust me, her advice is *very* cathartic.  Only today at my gym I managed to release my emotions (via the medium of the aforesaid screwdriver) on the she-male who'd parked right next to me even though 75% of the car park was empty.

That scraping sound of metal on metal is *truly* fantastic.

17 plate Audi as well.  Shame.

Sounds like an admission of criminal damage to me 🤔