Rear discs and pads issue

Anyone knows why this is the case with this model. I have a theory that ACC is using same circuit as the handbrake to control speed. Its a bad design since there are no warnings rear. On any other brand I've had I have used the front warning as an indicator to change brakes all around. However this is no longer the case. I mostly drive long-distance hence the ACC is actively in use.

received_1292703504228470.jpeg

That looks terribly corroded. I have no behaviour like that. My rear pads are getting used as fast as front ones. Basically 16mm vs 20mm pad thickness is perfect choice to replace both pads at same time. 

No the ACC does not use the handbrake. Unfortunately the rear discs are rubbish and rust/wear the pads quickly. When you get them replaced, avoid original discs and get after-market ones, they will be much better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

No the ACC does not use the handbrake. Unfortunately the rear discs are rubbish and rust/wear the pads quickly. When you get them replaced, avoid original discs and get after-market ones, they will be much better.

I truly don't have any issues with either rear pads or rear disks. They look as fine as fronts. 

On 09/06/2019 at 16:26, roarhag said:

Anyone knows why this is the case with this model. I have a theory that ACC is using same circuit as the handbrake to control speed. Its a bad design since there are no warnings rear. On any other brand I've had I have used the front warning as an indicator to change brakes all around. However this is no longer the case. I mostly drive long-distance hence the ACC is actively in use.

received_1292703504228470.jpeg

I'm suprised a car manufacturer allows such poor quality safety critical parts. 

7 hours ago, JackySi said:

I truly don't have any issues with either rear pads or rear disks. They look as fine as fronts. 

Mine is MY2016 so perhaps they have improved the quality of the part. And/or they may not always use the same supplier at the factory for such things as brake discs. Anyway, mine were trashed by 30,000 miles. Which is not a lot for rear discs and pads!

22 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

What's the problem here in this picture you are trying to explain? 

I have changed discs to coated discs to avoid some of the horrible looking rust. I'll post a picture of the front discs and pads so you can see the difference. Front discs and pads are good for another 10.000km, where as rear was totally gone.

IMG_20190610_220020.jpg

2 hours ago, roarhag said:

New rear

received_326687771564426.jpeg

Looks good when brand new. I wonder how long will they be rust free! 

2 hours ago, roarhag said:

I have changed discs to coated discs to avoid some of the horrible looking rust. I'll post a picture of the front discs and pads so you can see the difference. Front discs and pads are good for another 10.000km, where as rear was totally gone.

IMG_20190610_220020.jpg

These look really good if they're old!!! Which brand did you get?

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Mine is MY2016 so perhaps they have improved the quality of the part. And/or they may not always use the same supplier at the factory for such things as brake discs. Anyway, mine were trashed by 30,000 miles. Which is not a lot for rear discs and pads!

That's really low mileage for disks... They usually last up to 200K km... I'm replacing mine because right rear one is bent, I think from a the accident I had few months ago. I'm getting coated ATE ones with Ceramic pads.

The conclusion is the OEM rear disc from 2016 models are crap quality. I also had to have the turbo replaced after only 30K km, due to manufacture failure. You should have your turbo checked if you feel the car is getting rough changing especially from 1. to 2. gear. My turbo could be moved 3-4mm off senter while seated. No issues after replacing it. 

• Like 1

Skoda UK and Mitchells Skoda in Ellsmere port are now admitting these 2016 pads and disks are shoddy. I've had a total of £349 in refunds for parts from them however the ACC does break on the rear so they will wear alot quicker than normal non ACC cars. Also I believe they have the VAG dry breaking system which might need switching off.

2 hours ago, SpeedyB79 said:

Also I believe they have the VAG dry breaking system which might need switching off.

I don’t think that’s on by default as it’s something I’ve enabled with VCDS, in the past. 

Also, the electronic parking brake uses just the rears. I would assume ACC would use the cars whole braking system, e,g; as if you, the driver, applied the brakes(?) So brake wear would (should) be even from ACC braking  

Edited by penguin17

Do you live by the coast?

It isn't just the discs that have badly corroded, but the disc shield behind it too.

I've never seen a disc shield / guard as rusty as that before. There is something else at play here...

On 14/06/2019 at 04:38, SpeedyB79 said:

Skoda UK and Mitchells Skoda in Ellsmere port are now admitting these 2016 pads and disks are shoddy. I've had a total of £349 in refunds for parts from them however the ACC does break on the rear so they will wear alot quicker than normal non ACC cars. Also I believe they have the VAG dry breaking system which might need switching off.

The ACC absolutely does not use electronic hand brake. It does of course brake on the rear - but also and mostly on the front, just exactly the same as pressing the brake pedal. So any suggestion by any dealer that rear disc wear is anything to do with ACC is smokescreen.

On 14/06/2019 at 21:50, silver1011 said:

Do you live by the coast?

It isn't just the discs that have badly corroded, but the disc shield behind it too.

I've never seen a disc shield / guard as rusty as that before. There is something else at play here...

Stavanger is by the coast!

• Like 1

Then there is a big part of the issue...

image.png.69ae5c0b3b85671cef276aafbf1b38a6.png

Premature corrosion of the brake discs can be due to a number of issues, but the corrosion to the brake guard is a sure sign of excessive external environmental conditions.

The rear discs on our late 2015, 30k miles Superb III are in a horrendous state - really badly corroded and pads are almost worn out, worst we've seen on any car we've owned.

And nowhere near the coast either...

On 14/06/2019 at 04:38, SpeedyB79 said:

Interesting....have they admitted as such in any writing/emails anywhere ?

Ours need doing very soon due to the state they're in; if there's any way of getting a contribution from Skoda then I'm all ears :)

Let's get something straight first: Electronic parking brake basically simply puts pads together when engaged... So instead of hydraulics having pressure all the time, two motors screw in a "bolt" (threaded metal) and leave it there till you release the brake. Hill hold for example does not engage parking brake, but keeps hydraulic pressure on the brakes till you start driving. Same for auto "stop" thing which holds car in "P". So EPB is never used for other than parking... It would probably cause extra wear on pads because it doesn't disengage immediately.

I'm getting my new disks soon so I will make some pictures of my disks. I truly don't know why some people have so much issues with rear. I don't. I did however activate XDS (which does brake rears softly) and I have ON function for water/rain thing.

I would strongly recomend calling skoda UK first. My original set went at 19k with the disk. Complained and got "you didn't give us chance to resolve" spool, but at nearly £400 I wasn't taking it to dealer. Second time was just before last service at 40k and in the service they advised verbally they were aware. First time I got £200 and second time i got £149. I probably won't get it again but i will try. I swapped the disks for brembo and the pads were brembo too but they were down on the mot in January this year. Now on mintex but after speaking to a couple of people I believe padgid will be my next step.

Edited by SpeedyB79
Added wear

1 minute ago, SpeedyB79 said:

JackySi, mines a 2016 65 plate and I believe that's the issue. What's yours?

What means 65 plate? Mine is MY18 built on August 2017. It is possible I also have issues, but I simply don't know about it. 
But metal is metal... Uncoated disks will corrode, pads just clear corrosion if not too much is built up... At least that's how I always thought... In UK weather conditions do probably affect disks much more than air here. Salt and humidity kill untreated metal. 

7 minutes ago, JackySi said:

What means 65 plate? Mine is MY18 built on August 2017. It is possible I also have issues, but I simply don't know about it. 
But metal is metal... Uncoated disks will corrode, pads just clear corrosion if not too much is built up... At least that's how I always thought... In UK weather conditions do probably affect disks much more than air here. Salt and humidity kill untreated metal. 

Skoda UK tried that on me. So I replied with "I don't park the front axle in a different country and they are fine". They agreed after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1