Intake Valves Clean

has anyone attempted to remove the inlet manifold and clean the intake valves on a 1.6 tdi ? any info on how to do this would be much appreciated.

P.S. i don't believe in any cleaners that go through the fuel tank or sprayed in the air inlet manifold #snakeoil

Edited by Bertie90

Why do this?

What do you feel it will achieve?

Accept that this is not sarcasm, just a friendly enquiry.

In reality the result will be hardly noticeable (if at all) - and the risk of not clearing displaced carbon fully, is a risk not worth taking.

I would agree however that the use of chemical cleaners is a no no.

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 2ndskoda said:

Why do this?

What do you feel it will achieve?

Accept that this is not sarcasm, just a friendly enquiry.

In reality the result will be hardly noticeable (if at all) - and the risk of not clearing displaced carbon fully, is a risk not worth taking.

I would agree however that the use of chemical cleaners is a no no.

reduces engine knock, better air intake, better fuel consumption, restored power. at 85k miles I consider it as a maintenance procedure rather than an issue.

On 16/06/2019 at 08:25, Bertie90 said:

has anyone attempted to remove the inlet manifold and clean the intake valves on a 1.6 tdi ? any info on how to do this would be much appreciated.

P.S. i don't believe in any cleaners that go through the fuel tank or sprayed in the air inlet manifold #snakeoil

I don't see any real point; fuel is injected directly to the cylinders as the engine approaches TDC on the compression stroke rather than into the intake manifold (or ports) like on an octane engine. So unless you have an oil drinker, there's nothing to form coke in the inlet ports.

6 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

I don't see any real point; fuel is injected directly to the cylinders as the engine approaches TDC on the compression stroke rather than into the intake manifold (or ports) like on an octane engine. So unless you have an oil drinker, there's nothing to form coke in the inlet ports.

gunk sent over from the EGR valve maybe?

19 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Ironically the fuel being injected into the intake manifold(s) or ports actually keeps things cleaner. And with direct injection on most petrol engines now you ought to see the state of the inlets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tech1e said:

Usually more related to the crankcase breather circuit.

i thought the EGR valve sends exhaust gas back into the intake system via the intake valves?

1038-121017-15323860133-PTIMG.jpg

Which is why many/most newer direct injection petrol engines now come with a bit of port injection to help stop coking in the inlet ports, so it must be more of an issue with petrol DI engines worst under certain operating conditions.

• Like 1

Looking at the shape of the head casting on a CAY- code engine, access to the intake valves with 'just' the inlet manifold removed looks very limited and indirect. Have a look at some photos on ebay or google. It's not obvious to me that you'd be able to achieve much at all without a full head removal/stripdown, or you happen to own a very eager-to-please baby ferret with a taste for hydrocarbons.

• Like 3

Hopefully now you will see the point I was making (this is not a 'I told you so') comment. The expected result that you listed was a little ambitious perhaps.

Having reached 85K, you have done well - if running well, leave it until you meet trouble.

• Like 1