cambelt

I got  text from skoda saying my cambelt is due to be replaced. I have a 2014 octavia 1.6tdi estate and has done 86k. Im under impression cambelt was needed done after 5 years or 100k.

Should u replace it now or wait til i reach 100k?

Isn't it 5 years or 100k, whichever comes sooner?

2019 - 2014 = 5

I'd say get it done.  Not worth the risk of waiting IMHO.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

As above, definitely get it done now (along with the water pump).

Before I bought my pre-owned Octavia I called 2 dealers who advised the timing belt interval was 5 years or 120K miles, whichever is reached first.

My water pump failed in November (83500 miles, 2 weeks shy of 4 years old) so I had the timing belt changed too.  Apparently it was still in good condition but always better to be safe than sorry :)

Local independent VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda garage charged £516.  Nearest Skoda dealership was 30 miles away at the time, ironically one opened 6 miles from me 2 weeks later.....  Skoda charge £499 for timing belt & water pump

1 hour ago, Russ77 said:

My water pump failed in November (83500 miles, 2 weeks shy of 4 years old) so I had the timing belt changed too.  Apparently it was still in good condition but always better to be safe than sorry :)

Mine failed at a similar age but only around 40k.  Modern belts don't wear out in the same way as older ones and I suspect they will fail once life has been reached rather than change condition as suggested by your garage.  That being said, they do last a LOT longer due to more precise manufacturing and better materials.  Some are even lifed for the engine, whatever that means.

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 1

yup think ill get water pump done at same time! car costing quite a bit this month with garage visits! maybe persuade skoda to code the amundsen unit i got at same time! my skoda dealer is £539 water pump and cambelt

Ask them what the extra £10 is for, the Christmas party?

image.png.5167d84c701547fdd7c8b69fae017234.png

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price

In all seriousness though, now you're well out of manufacturers warranty you should shop around.

I got a cambelt and waterpump, using genuine Skoda parts fitted at a local trusted independent garage for a good chunk less cash (£340, albeit a couple of years ago)...