Key battery issue

Morning all!

My wife has a 2015 Octavia SEL which appears to have an issue.

A few months ago a warning came up on the dash saying "change key battery". We did this and all was fine but a month later the same happened. We have swapped to use a different key and changed the battery in that key too but after a month the same has happened. We took the battery right down to flat once and had to use the key in the door lock just to check that it wasn't a wrong error message.

Could something in the engine be draining the key battery? An imobiliser issue? Any help gratefully received.

What are you replacing the battery with?  Although a CR2016 will fit in an emergency, it'll only last a few weeks - if you use a CR2032 they last much longer.

If you have two keys, it's also recommended you replace both batteries at the same time.

Edited by Jock

Is it a standard remote key or a Kessy key (keyless entry & start)?

Are you sure the new battery you used was a good one? 

Is it likely that the button has been pressed repeatedly because it was it a bag full of other things or in a back pocket etc?

I would try another battery from a different source first.

There are a few people on the forum who have had problems with faulty keys in the past, if i remember correctly.

If a new battery doesnt help, you may need a replacement key.

You need to change the battery in the spare key as well. I learned this myself. Ensure the batteries have a long sell by date and are of a known brand.

Thanks all. It's the standard VAG key with the flick out metal bit you have to stick in the cylinder in the steering column. No fancy stop start button here.

I'll try changing the batteries in all the keys one last time and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'll try a new key.

3 hours ago, Timbot2 said:

Thanks all. It's the standard VAG key with the flick out metal bit you have to stick in the cylinder in the steering column. No fancy stop start button here.

I'll try changing the batteries in all the keys one last time and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'll try a new key.

A new key is expensive unless covered by warranty.

I have just had the same problem but used some cheap batteries from a 'Poundland' equivalent here, which have worked before but this time, they only lasted a month before I got the same message.

I'll get some (over-priced) Eveready and put them in for another ~18 months service.

Just make sure you clean the contacts and don't leave fingerprints on the battery when you put it in.