"Engine Fault Visit workshop" 1.6 TDI

Well, this just happened

Was driving down a bit of a hill when the dashboard warning ding went off, and there on the MFD display were the words "Engine Fault - Visit workshop" then as just as soon it appeared it cleared, we were still underway and even cycling through the menus on the dash showed no faults, except for the glowplug idiot lamp, it was blinking, we pulled over, had a quick look and a little rev and nothing appeared to be wrong

we did the rest of the journey (which thankfully was return trip) just fine

Any idea of what caused this? weird that it seemed fine after the alarm went off, the only i found that could of caused it was a plastic bag lodged in the air con, which was making an annoying turbine-like noise anyway

Also it was about 30c outside, had the car for little over a year and this is the first time a warning like this has occurred

Helpful advice will be appreciated

If there is no light on now, and no reduced engine performance, unless you have a diagnostic tool to scan the car and check what the error actually was, I would not worry about it..

Modern vehicles have lots of sensors, inputs, sinclair 48K computers and system monitoring, only takes a glitch in one, at anytime to throw a code, but often it will not be an issue if the fault is not there permanently.

This is the same scenario as I have that started almost 12 months ago, higher air temperature and down hill i.e. lift off throttle - see my post from last year.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453159-the-dreaded-flashing-orange-coil-light-again-air-maf-sensor-16tdi-cr/?do=findComment&comment=5092182

To update the warning came up for the 4th time 6 or so weeks ago on a relatively warm day. I now have a cheapo bluetooth ELM327 fault code reader and that shows P0101 which is ' MAF sensor implausible reading '.

While not due hence not replaced at the service in February I did swap the air filter element fitting a Bosch part from ECP. The one fitted that I removed was UFI filters and had moulded VAG logos so I presume genuine.

Removing the air filter box required disconnecting the MAF so I sprayed electrical contact cleaner ( NOT WD40 or similar ) into the connector again. I also located the MAP sensor, that I understand to be a combined pressure and temperature sensor, low down front right to remove and clean the connector to that.

After the car felt to be running better and so far no further occurrences including a 250 mile trip ..... but that was a cool wet day .... and overall the weather has been relatively cool.

I can't quickly find the post but someone with a P0101 fault code had the MAF replaced but still the fault occurred then another sensor which from the details I suspect is the MAP sensor which solved the issue. There are various posts across VAG forums about P0101 where the fault still occurs after replacing the MAF. Some have been posted as being traced to wiring faults.

Edited by delta925

It could be your egr valve if the glow plug light is flashing?

I had the same warning twice last week, the glow plug light would start flashing with the car going into limp home mode but upon switching the engine off for a wee while and restarting the fault would clear and then come on again after  wee while. Did a scan and i came up with fault code P046C ERG sensor A circuit range/performance, its going to cost me between £600 to £700 to sort with genuine parts, gaskets and labour.

Update: In the last week the fault has been getting more persistent and frequent, sometimes the car would be fine and then it would show the "Engine Fault - Workshop!" message and start flashing the glowplug light, but as i said before, no loss in performance, the car drives the same, more recently however, is that the MIL has been coming on and staying on, sometimes with the coil light, sometimes on its own, or vice versa.

I also got my OBD II Scan tool today so here's the code it pulled

P2455	$07E8 Generic

Diesel Particulate Filter
Differential Pressure Sensor
Circuit High

Is this a bad fault? does anyone here know what this means or have info on the fault? i googled it and it said its urgent and i should go to the garage? the scan tool also said its a serious fault, but there's no DPF light on the dash?

I will appreciate any helpful discussion on the fault

20190711_182116.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

New pressure sensor required and calibrate I’d expect. 

Thank you! How much do you think this would cost? definitely going to my local garage tomorrow

Update 2:

Was taking a bit of a risk driving the car a few days ago, it was all fine, no faults, was on the motorway when i heard the ding and saw the "Diesel Particulate Filter - Owners Manual" message on the screen, the DPF light turned on, no adverse effects appeared to have happened, the light cleared about an hour later during idling, the scan tool now says its all fine? i will appreciate any helpful discussion on this, was this possibly a "DPF Regeneration"?

Quite possible........if it starts and does not finish, ie you stop driving, then it will continue next time and often takes longer.

My company Astra says "Don't stop keep driving " well thats great when I have just picked up fish and chips!!....hence went home and it finished the next day.

If something is wrong or a regen fails you get the DPF light. Drive the car to get the regen to complete. Regen will try 5 times, it it fails it will then illuminate the coil light too. If you continue to drive then the EML will also illuminate. Once you have a hat trick the system has to have a forced regen / diagnostics, it will not clear itself.