Kamiq, when will it be available

jimmer72

I am glad I did not wait for the Kamiq. Bought a T-Cross SEL 115PS 3 months ago and it comes very well equipped - only needed to add folding mirrors and spare wheel. I configured a similar Kamiq and it was a scary price!

My SEL T-Cross was £21655 + £585 metallic, £300 for winter pack, £160 for folding mirrors and £150 for spare wheel. That comes to £22850. 
The Kamiq SEL when spec’ed up as close as I could get it came to £24455. 

The Kamiq does have basic Kessy as standard and folding mirrors but there are glaring omissions like adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, full led lights, parking sensors that the T-Cross has as standard on the SEL. I also like having the choice of opting for Kessy or not. It also has 17” alloys so you would avoid the lottery of possible choppy ride with the 18s. I must say I am surprised and disappointed with the spec decisions of Skoda UK re the Kamiq. Very surprised that a VW comes out better equipped than the equivalent Skoda!

• Thanks 1

If Skoda can have all the stuff that they do have working well after 5 or even 7 years that might be enough for those buying a keeper.

They should by now be able to use reliable parts and know not to use ones that VW Group still use yet have snagging issues.

On 13/10/2019 at 17:55, Roottootemoot said:

They should by now be able to use reliable parts and know not to use ones that VW Group still use yet have snagging issues.

What an odd comment.  If a VW Group product didn't use VW Group parts then?

If only Jaguar used Toyota parts and not use ones that Range Rover use, they'd be more reliable.  If only Fiat used Honda parts and not ones that Chrysler use, they'd be more reliable.

Exactly what parts do you want Skoda to use, the parts from the days when Skoda was a joke?

What are you talking about man, VW Group input was the best thing ever to happen to Skoda.

A VW vehicle is built using parts sourced from all sorts of manufacturers and VW Group blame those contractors too often.  VW are struggling over the past 2 years over contractors  that had enough of them.   VW say they end contracts, yet the companies were the ones that walked.

Hence delays, long waiting times on vehicles due to part shortages.

Then the likes of Bosch are doing what VW want from them for some brands and it is not across them all. 

This has been since 2015 as it happens. 

There are recall actions on some of the latest SKODA models on interior items that have not been part of recall actions on vw,s audis and seats.   

Maybe you need to think on man and use your bonce on occasions    brake parts used are bought in and 2 new models are getting manual parking brakes not e-brakes.

Consumables used are not manufactured by VW in many cases just sourced. Many parts that skoda are using are not as are going on the latest VW or Audi.  That could be a good thing for those buying a keeper. 

Edited by Roottootemoot

7 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Maybe you need to think on man and use your bonce on occasions  

Jeez..  No matter where parts are made they will be to VW specifications and used THROUGHOUT the VW group. You however singled out Skoda to use different parts ( see your post above ).

Some time ago I read a comment where someone labelled you anti-Skoda - something I defended you of and thought ridiculous. However reading the above on a thread which has nothing whatsoever to do with reliability, I'm beinging to think your carrying a chip on your shoulder re: Skoda.  Don't you think such comment should be kept for topics on reliability / problems etc ?  The Kamiq isn't even in the showrooms and already you're complaining about the parts used.  :thumbdown:    Having read your previous postings, I think your better than that.

On 13/10/2019 at 17:43, rkenny said:

The Kamiq does have basic Kessy as standard and folding mirrors but there are glaring omissions like adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, full led lights, parking sensors that the T-Cross has as standard on the SEL.

back on topic...

I must say I'm a tad confused regarding the LED option on the Kamiq SE-L and wonder if the brochure is correct.  My theory goes like this:   Every other SE-L in Skoda range has front LEDs. Many of those LED's can be upgraded via the options list to super-dooper versions with fancy indicators and what have you. The brochure however says LEDs are an option on Kamiq but that option is for those fancy LED's at over £1000 which is a hefty price to pay - std LED's aren't even an option.

I might be wrong ( I usually am ) but I'm wondering if the SE-L Kamiq is like the SE-L Scala where basic LED's are std and the fancy £1000 LED's are an option. It would seem really strange not to offer LED's on top-of-the-range model when every other top-of-the-range compeditor and every other top-of-the-range Skoda have LED's as std.  I guess we'll only know for sure when the cars arrive in showrooms.

Edited by Guest

@Scot5

I have drive the new Kamiq in the trim i am getting.

I am not anti Skoda, just anti head in the sand and Skoda denial over issues.

I have ordered a Kamiq because i know what parts are being used.

Funnily i know quite a bit about Skoda's and components,

especially the DQ200's.

Did you not read what you replied to, where i said

'If Skoda can have all the stuff that they do have working well after 5 or 7 years that might be enough for those buying a keeper.

They should by now be able to use the reliable parts and know not to use ones the VW Group still use but have snagging issues.'

That is about buying and owning cars and keeping them not just leasing and handing back in 3 years.

Edited by Roottootemoot

20 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

I too am considering the KISS 1.0 SE DSG as a replacement for my Yeti when the time comes.

I also remember that you have a very positive impression of the Peugeot Rifter. 

Apart from your knowledge of Skoda parts, was there anything else about the Kamiq that particularly influenced your decision to buy one?

Cheers.

Edited by Robjon
  • Like 1

@Robjon

It is just like a bigger Fabia for easy in and easy out. seats down gives all the room i need in the rear.

Seat height, support, bolsters etc  & Foot space / pedals. sills, all just as i need.

I drove a 1.0 TSI DSG and a 1.6TDI DSG at the launch and they were high spec and that was not what i wanted, there was not a 1.5 TSI and i didnt want one anyway,

so there was a SE near and i got to go drive it the next day, and it was just just as the Scala i had tried was.

Having the 5 year warranty, & simple paint touch up and sensible wheels.

Last week i almost ordered a Vauxhall Combi Life 1.2 130 ps 8 speed auto 5 seater as i was going to take from Motability with a low Advance payment.

None available to drive and just a manual to sit in but yesterday i got one to look in that was already for delivery and as soon as i got in i knew the seat would be over longer journeys as uncomfortable as my Alhambra was. 

Advance payment on the Peugeot and Citroen sister cars are too high and i would not want to own one out of warranty.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2019 at 10:28, Roottootemoot said:

@Scot5

I am not anti Skoda, just anti head in the sand and Skoda denial over issues.

Funnily i know quite a bit about Skoda's and components,

especially the DQ200's.

Did you not read what you replied to, where i said

'If Skoda can have all the stuff that they do have working well after 5 or 7 years that might be enough for those buying a keeper.

They should by now be able to use the reliable parts and know not to use ones the VW Group still use but have snagging issues.'

That is about buying and owning cars and keeping them not just leasing and handing back in 3 years.

You know what parts are being used? Can you share with us what parts you refer to?

Are you saying there will be fewer customer complaints and this Kamiq will prove more reliable than other Skodas?

Are these better parts going to be used in the new Octavia too? What other models in the VAG range will use these parts or are the exclusive to the Kamiq?

The other thing I'm confused with - if you know what parts are being used ( I'm presuming they are more reliable ), why the need for a 5yr warranty?

Edited by Guest

@Scot5

There is a known unknown and that is how 1.0 TSI's with GPF's will be after 3 years, but that is the same with 1.5 & 2.0 TSI's.

Strange that the new Golf Mk8 is getting the lower powered 1.0TSI's.

Then a DQ200 DSG is always a lottery and 5 years manufacturers warranty will see my quite happy if it goes t!ts up.

Otherwise the brakes and steering and suspension is nothing fancy and up to the job.

So thats about it, drives OK, nothing much to be a PITA other than the head lights.

Edited by Roottootemoot

On 13/10/2019 at 17:43, rkenny said:

My SEL T-Cross was £21655 + £585 metallic, £300 for winter pack, £160 for folding mirrors and £150 for spare wheel. That comes to £22850. 
The Kamiq SEL when spec’ed up as close as I could get it came to £24455. 

The Kamiq does have basic Kessy as standard and folding mirrors but there are glaring omissions like adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, full led lights, parking sensors that the T-Cross has as standard on the SEL. I also like having the choice of opting for Kessy or not. It also has 17” alloys so you would avoid the lottery of possible choppy ride with the 18s. I must say I am surprised and disappointed with the spec decisions of Skoda UK re the Kamiq. Very surprised that a VW comes out better equipped than the equivalent Skoda!

Agree totally although with somewhat bigger discounts and offers on the Skoda I think they would be close on a PCP.

The Kamiq is certainly not a budget VW T-Cross! At latest prices I think a standard 115 PS SEL is just under £22,000 for a Kamiq and just over for the T-Cross. It seems to me that both specs would satisfy most customers, and the differences between them more or less balance out so choice is largely about personal preference. As pointed out T-Cross has more driving aids eg adaptive cruise, front parking sensors. It also has useful adjustable rear seats and looks to my eyes a bit more SUVish and an attractive car. Both have blind spot monitoring and lane assist I think. On the other hand the Kamiq is a bit roomier and apparently slightly plusher. It also has a 9.2” satnav screen to the VW’s 8”, and the digital dash (I believe only on the VW’s R-line spec). I agree 18” alloys are not necessarily an advantage! I’m looking forward to seeing the Kamiq in the metal to see how it appeals. 

Looking like a SUV means little to many when they just want an easy to get in and out of higher FWD Hatchbacks.

That is what they are and you do not see the outside when inside them.

There really is nothing SUV about them. No more than Ford Ecosport, Capture, Juke etc etc.

Even Vauxhall offer as an option on a Combo Life automatic 5 or 7 seater 'winter pack' 'all weather tyres' and optional 'traction assistance.

Ugly FWD car that is more SUV than a Kamiq or T-Cross.

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 17.13.03.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Agreed - of course neither, like most small ‘crossovers’, are really SUVs. And probably confer little practical advantage over traditional hatchbacks, except for the slightly higher driving position and perhaps ease of access, as several motoring reviews have pointed out about the small crossover phenomenon. However while the style is popular, a greater height and perceived chunkiness is likely to appeal to some along with other considerations. My basic point is the T-Cross and Kamiq both seem to be good cars and similar value within their category, so take your pick.