Help - Considering new L&K

Looking at getting a new L&K, however the yr20 model price rises leave me in a dilemma.

The L&K 190 tdi is now £40,095 on the road with a P11D price £39,510. The P11D price is the price they use for the over £40k additional car tax for year 2 to 6,

If I'm going new I wanted a couple extras, these are now limited to the kids pack and acc. these are £180 and £310. This means the P11D price with these extras would be £40,000.

Does anyone know if this will trip the scales, ie is the limit £39,999.99 or £40,000.01.

Thanks,

Scott

I read it as "more than" £40,000. So bang-on £40,000 you'll be OK.

At £40,001 you'll incur the higher rates...

image.png.07ad991812f8160da999a2528221e482.png

Surely though, if you're spending £40,000+ on a brand new car, an extra £320 per year shouldn't be a deal breaker?

An extra £1,600 over 5 years is pretty insignificant in relation to the overall purchase and running costs of a large SUV.

If it is a PCH the tax is included in the price, if it's a PCP and you're planning to hand the car back then on a 3 year deal it'll cost you an extra £620 over the full term. Amortise that into the monthly payments and you'll barely notice it.

Just spec the car as you really want it and pay the extra tax.

Is it worth buying an L&K model. The extras offered may not be worth the extra money. My mate has an L&K Octavia (although an '08 model) but the extra features fitted, in my eyes, are unremarkable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I read it as "more than" £40,000. So bang-on £40,000 you'll be OK.

At £40,001 you'll incur the higher rates...

image.png.07ad991812f8160da999a2528221e482.png

Surely though, if you're spending £40,000+ on a brand new car, an extra £320 per year shouldn't be a deal breaker?

An extra £1,600 over 5 years is pretty insignificant in relation to the overall purchase and running costs of a large SUV.

If it is a PCH the tax is included in the price, if it's a PCP and you're planning to hand the car back then on a 3 year deal it'll cost you an extra £620 over the full term. Amortise that into the monthly payments and you'll barely notice it.

Just spec the car as you really want it and pay the extra tax.

true, but if you were offered the chance to save 1600 on your new car by making a certain compromise, that's appealing to me.

It's the arbitrary nature of the cut-off and where it sits on the cusp of bigger / premium cars that many people aspire to that I find annoying. An extra £320 per year is probably not noticable to those who can afford to splash out on cars costing North of 60 or 70k, but it's a real consideration to those who want to get the best car they can afford within a budget.

Likewise, paying an extra £1,600 to get the exact car, colour, specification etc, when already spending £40,000 seems reasonable to me.

The OP already mentions he's already sacrificed some desirable options. I've done that previously on several cars and regretted it.

How the OP is financing the car will make a difference too.

Life's too short.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, linni said:

You declare list price but pay separately for extras - is it possible in UK? Like buying extra set of tyres?

In UK it is list price plus the cost of options fitted  (list price, before discounts) on the purchase invoice

Any assessories that you buy separately do not count,  so in some cases if they can be dealer fitted it is worth having these on a separate invoice

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Likewise, paying an extra £1,600 to get the exact car, colour, specification etc, when already spending £40,000 seems reasonable to me.

The OP already mentions he's already sacrificed some desirable options. I've done that previously on several cars and regretted it.

How the OP is financing the car will make a difference too.

Life's too short.

You can look at it so many different ways. For some, paying £300 for ACC may be a price worth paying. But if it tips it over £40k, would you pay £1900 for ACC? I’m not sure I would.

L&K

Vignale

DS

Lexus

Infinity

Over badged.

Over priced.

Sales gimmicks.

Oh, did I say that out loud 😀

But then I’m biased 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

You can look at it so many different ways. For some, paying £300 for ACC may be a price worth paying. But if it tips it over £40k, would you pay £1900 for ACC? I’m not sure I would.

For the L&K they should be including this as part of the spec! 

Its a not position I’d like to be in to be honest  - we’re all looking at saving some money and the road tax for me would be a concern if it were at 40k prices - your forgetting it’s the book price or bik value. But in reality you aren’t paying the full 40k as they’ll have some offers/discounts etc taking it way below. Though this doesn’t help you either! 

If buying for such a size of car it would be a shame/regret not to have the acc. Better still go for the assistance pack which is a few quid more and includes the acc. 

On on another note has anyone seen the lease prices?  - they also seem to have increased in price! 

The l&k is a great option for me as front park pan roof camera and canton are std and an edition with these would be almost as much and wouldn't have such a good resale.

The dealer has advised me that 40,000 tips the balance.....

9 minutes ago, thewez said:

The other thing is I wasnt looking new and my budget isn't 40k however coast2coast and drivethedeal are offering a great deals, carwow and auto ebid not such good deals. 

It applies to used vehicles also so your stuffed there too. As the l&k spec is pretty new I doubt you’ll find many examples on the market and if your looking for an option add on list - it just might be what came with it as standard. 

Shame really, I agree with the comment above re the cut off. 40k which is a lot of money but not mind boggling as with some of the higher rrp cars out there. 

Good of luck whatever you decide. 

The new hyundai santa fe similar spec to l&k is £44k....😮

I think that drivethedeal might be cheaper as coast2coast have gone up in line with increase, but it seems that dtd now include the additional dealer £500 off from skoda which will make them a bit cheaper.... But the coast2coast dealer is local(ish) is dtd still simpson?