Octavia VRS MK3 Headunit - ELI5

Following on from my post last week, I ended up buying a VRS Estate yesterday and get to collect it in just under two weeks. Excited is an understatement an I've already spent an unreasonable amount of time on this site looking at options for my car. 

However, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I feel completely out of my depth when it comes to the different head units and screens that are available across the range so was hoping that somebody could possibly clear the following up for me:

• The box in the glovebox and the screen go by which names, respectively? 

• I have what I believe is an Amundsen MIB 1 - I would like to gain a bigger screen and the potential to add a reversing camera and possibly Android Auto features in the future - what could I buy, compatible with my current car, that will give me those features and is it a straight swap of the screen of the unit in the glovebox too?

• Having done some Googling of Amundsen/Columbus etc head units, I'm really struggling to get results. Where should I be looking? eBay? Any Skoda specific aftermarket websites? I'm used to shopping for my MK1 MX5 which has thousands of different aftermarket sites and parts. Are these names (Amundsen/Columbus) VAG specific part names or are they parts developed by other companies?

• From what I've read, once I get the right head unit, I'll have to have Component Protection removed (what does this mean?) and have to send something off to somebody to have it coded (is this a company? An explanation to what this is all about would be appreciated too)

• Lastly, I need a USB? Where does this go and what is it for?

I hope it's OK to post these questions - like many car forums, this one is full of some incredibly knowledgeable people and information but sometimes you just need this sort of thing spelt out in black and white!

Many Thanks.

SashaGrace appears to be the headunit guru on this forum having done some amazing things to her own 2014 vRS. 

She recently spent the time on another post giving loads of information on the units, take a look:

• Like 1

In order 

The headunits are called Bolero (no navigation), Amundsen (SD based navigation) and Columbus (HDD navigation and bigger screen).

You will be able to integrate the reverse camera with the MIB1 Amundsen. If you want a bigger screen or Android Auto you will need a MIB2. Many units are retrofitable depending on your budget, desired screen and size and features requirements.

eBay is a great place to look for used parts, search a variety of terms and part numbers once you know what you want.

Component Protection is the way VAG lock down a variety of the cars systems. They can remove the CP on used parts that aren’t on the stolen list. Some radios can be hacked to remove CP. I always recommend Pawel (Pab567) to redo the coding to get the radio to work correctly in the car. He has done the coding on both of my retrofitted radios along with countless others. He is based in Poland but his English is excellent and his charges very reasonable. He can also activate pretty much anything.

The USB is under the climate panel and you will need to change this for a 5Q0035726E green tipped USB for SmartLink. 

There are 3 screen sizes for MIB2/2.5 radios, 6.5 inch, 8 inch and 9.2 inch. If you want the 9.2 you will need a MIB2.5 Columbus. Any MIB2 Columbus can be upgraded to 2.5 spec. If you can post up the features you want and your ideal budget I can advise further on which radio would be best for you. I have a MIB2.5 Columbus in my 2014 Octavia  and I love it!

5CAA5176-EEB8-4F81-A1A2-611A73C3930B.thumb.jpeg.1a36e7cdb3de2e5b78fb0d44b7c94b20.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, OK! 

Cheers @SashaGrace, that's fantastic. I'm going to sit with a cuppa and go through all of that and see what my next steps are. 

Initial question, just trying to ID my specific system, I was under the impression that I had an MIB1 Amundsen based off some photos in a previous post but the fact you've said it can have SD Nav makes me think maybe I don't - there was no NAV button on the unit so could it be a Bolero instead? 

What exactly does MIB1/2/2.5 stand for?

Cheers!

• Like 1

If you have no nav it’s a Bolero. When you collect the car, check the system settings and post up the part number. How old is the car? MIB is an initialism for a German term I don’t understand haha. 1, 2 and 2.5 are just generations of the unit. 

Ah ok, must be Bolero then! Where does that leave me with regards to expansion? Does it mean more work/cost due to extra parts? Haha OK fair enough, that's really helpful thank you - it's a 64 plate. 

No. It’s just an £8.99 GPS antenna if you want nav. My car came with a Bolero MIB1, then I went Amundsen MIB2 and now Columbus MIB2.5 to support the virtual cockpit. 64 plate will be 100% a MIB1. The MIB2 was installed post build week 22 2015. 

Superb. Thanks so much for all the advice, will post up my exact specs once I have the car. Realistically, to get to Columbus MIB2.5 (as per your photo), how much should I be expecting to spend? I've found some Columbus 2.5 units on eBay, the glovebox units appear to be sold separately, is that likely to be the case or can I get the Columbus 2.5 working with the Bolero glove box unit?

No, the glovebox unit is the radio and the screen is just a screen. Be careful as some of the Columbus units that are listed for sale are non DAB models.

Pawel complied this list of radios, all of which are retrofittable.

1. Amundsen MY16 unit 5Q0035864A (without DAB) or 5Q0035874A (with DAB)

2. Amundsen MY17 unit 5Q0035864B (without DAB) or 5Q0035874B (with DAB) 

3. Amundsen MY18 unit 5Q0035864C (without DAB) or 5Q0035874C (with DAB)

4. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035020x (with DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

5. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035021x (with DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

6. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

7. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035044x (without DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

8. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035020x (with DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

9. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035021x (with DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

10. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

11. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035044x (without DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

Mine is number 5 upgraded to MIB2.5 spec and is fully CP free. The screen to match the MIB2.5 Columbus is 5E0919606D, I paid £300 for mine as it has a tiny chip that you can’t see on the bezel. My setup was about £1100 but that was 7 months ago. You can do it a bit cheaper if you can get a very cheap radio unit but it’s always going to be expensive as it’s the top spec radio. The Amundsen can be done for about half that with an 8 inch screen.

On 09/07/2019 at 01:56, SashaGrace said:

In order 

The headunits are called Bolero (no navigation), Amundsen (SD based navigation) and Columbus (HDD navigation and bigger screen).

You will be able to integrate the reverse camera with the MIB1 Amundsen. If you want a bigger screen or Android Auto you will need a MIB2. Many units are retrofitable depending on your budget, desired screen and size and features requirements.

eBay is a great place to look for used parts, search a variety of terms and part numbers once you know what you want.

Component Protection is the way VAG lock down a variety of the cars systems. They can remove the CP on used parts that aren’t on the stolen list. Some radios can be hacked to remove CP. I always recommend Pawel (Pab567) to redo the coding to get the radio to work correctly in the car. He has done the coding on both of my retrofitted radios along with countless others. He is based in Poland but his English is excellent and his charges very reasonable. He can also activate pretty much anything.

The USB is under the climate panel and you will need to change this for a 5Q0035726E green tipped USB for SmartLink. 

There are 3 screen sizes for MIB2/2.5 radios, 6.5 inch, 8 inch and 9.2 inch. If you want the 9.2 you will need a MIB2.5 Columbus. Any MIB2 Columbus can be upgraded to 2.5 spec. If you can post up the features you want and your ideal budget I can advise further on which radio would be best for you. I have a MIB2.5 Columbus in my 2014 Octavia  and I love it!

5CAA5176-EEB8-4F81-A1A2-611A73C3930B.thumb.jpeg.1a36e7cdb3de2e5b78fb0d44b7c94b20.jpeg

Hi sashagrace, thanks for the read interesting indeed I have a similar situation to yours. I am in a 2016 Octavia rs and the screen looks very very dated! I don’t mind the interface as I primarily use CarPlay and don’t want to mess around with it too much. Is it possible to just update the screen to the one in your car without touching the rest of it? Assuming it is just a screen that plugs into the rest of the unit? 

If you have a MIB2 then you can plug in the 8 inch FL display but not this 9.2 inch one. If you have a Bolero the part number you need is 5E0919605N, if it’s an Amundsen you need 5E0919605M :) The app button won’t work but it is backlit.

That’s a MIB2 Columbus. If you want the 9.2 inch screen then no, you will need to have the unit upgraded but Pawel can upgrade your radio to MIB2.5 spec. My radio is also a MIB2 upgraded to 2.5 spec. If you want another 8 inch screen but all glass then yes the 5E0919605M FL Amundsen screen is plug and play :) 

• 3 weeks later...

As above really there is a link with part numbers too. If you want to do it fairly cheaply it’ll be a MIB2 Amundsen you want, either with the 6.5 inch screen or the 8 inch screen. CP removal and coding will still need doing and you will need a scan of the car to send to the installer, also you’ll need a GPS antenna and activation of the nav menu in the cluster.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 20/07/2019 at 22:02, SashaGrace said:

MIB1 Bolero, same as my car came with. Once you have decided how much you want to spend and what features you want, come back and I can advise on costs and which unit to go for.

Super impressed with your knowledge on this subject! Also love your octavia in grey!

im about to pick up a white octavia with the mib1 bolero and wondered what I’d need to have a slightly bigger screen and apple car play? Thanks in advance!