Rear door locking/opening mech

Hi,

I know this has been gone through before but can't quite find what I need.

2004 Octavia Estate, rear passenger door has been playing up. Not unlocking/opening at all. Bashing the unlock button on the key fob and a few hits was working, then one day it stopped all together. It's now been like this for about two months. I had resigned to having to rip the door card off and cutting into the mech etc.

But then today! It unlocked. As if by magic. That car is not getting locked again until its sorted. I'm thinking oiling the mech up to buggery or replacing? Question is, how to I grease it all up? Or is it just worth replacing the whole thing?

Cheers 

13 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

It’s pretty much a sealed unit and when they go wrong it’s usually a micro switch so lubrication will do squat. 

Ok, thanks for your reply. I'll get a new unit then. Can you confirm this is what I'm after?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Lock-Actuator-Rear-Left-Fits-VW-Golf-Beetle-Passat-Seat-Leon-Skoda-Octavia/162582121784?fits=Car Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AOctavia I|Cars Year%3A2004|Variant%3A1U5 [1996-2010] Estate|Plat_Gen%3A1U5|Cars Type%3A1.9 TDI|BodyStyle%3AEstate|Engine%3A1896ccm 130HP 96KW (Diesel)

Cheers for your help mate 

This happened to me recently, with the drivers rear door.  I unlocked it the other day for the 1st time in about 3 months.  I sat in the drivers seat and pulled off the rubber gater that goes to the rear door, wiggled the wires and pressed the button, then "sch-tck", the door unlocked.  Wont lock again now,  Clearly I have a broken wire in the gater.

• 1 month later...

I went to the same people for a driver's door lock mechanism; usual problem, microswitch only worked when it felt like it. Straight swap, fitted perfectly (I'm getting used to taking the door apart) and no problems since. Thanks for the link.

One of the most important steps in this is making sure the door membrane (plastic sheet) is FULLY sealed all round everything, esp the lower half, or you will end up with water in your footwells...

Also, for diagnosing it.. listen really carefully to the lock area while pressing the button. If theres no motor sound its not getting power - it the wiring loom, either the multiplug or wires in the door gator.

Motor whirring but not working - microswitch or (in my case) bead bolt slider has come off the end of its screw and is stuck..

Edited by mac11irl
Extra help