Stuck fuel cap

I have a 2013 MKIII 1.4 and today from one day to the other my fuel cap is completely stuck, I have tried pressing it a hundred times, tried carefully to pry it open, lock and unlock the doors etc

Is there any tricks to opening it and maybe fixing it myself or do I need to go to repairshop

Also is there a way to emergency open it?

Do you have the owners manual/handbook?

I have seen some cars whereby they have an emergency fuel cap release inside the boot/cargo area. You may need to pull back some carpet or remove some covering to do this. I am unsure if yours operates from a cable or electrical motor, etc to release the flap, which I think you mean, rather then cap. Again, I may be wrong as not familiar with your car.

Had a scout on forum and it seems the actuator can fail. Usually needs replacing for around £30 or so (Few years ago) But fairly easy to change. Many owners just snapped/removed the lug that the actuator locks on to, preventing the flap from locking again. This is a permanent fix but leaves the fuel cap exposed so a replacement locking cap may be an investment. 

Gentle force seems to be the way to open it if you can't lube and persevere with the lock/unlock function, whilst pressing/wiggling the flap.

Another person mentioned using a kettle of hot water, pouring it all over the area. Not boiling though, as you may warp something or burn yourself!

Edited by mrgf

Mine used to do this from time to time.

There is no emergency release on the Mk3. If it's totally failed then it has to be forced open and try not to damage the bodywork.

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

There is no emergency release on the Mk3. If it's totally failed then it has to be forced open and try not to damage the bodywork.

So I use some plastic and should I give it some WD40 oil or something afterwards? can I be sure its unlocked and not stucked in locked position, wont I damage it if it is?

21 minutes ago, Mech0z said:

So I use some plastic and should I give it some WD40 oil or something afterwards? can I be sure its unlocked and not stucked in locked position, wont I damage it if it is?

If you get it open you can lubricate it but if you lock and unlock the car with the flap open you should hear a solenoid operating. If you can't it will probably need replacing.

Its certainly possible on the MK2, a lot of faff and reluctant trim pieces removal and then a bit of gynaecology but you can get to the actuator, its fitted from behind so its removal and replacement is from behind, you definitely dont need to break anything.

There was some good advice earlier about pushing and releasing the flap while someone operates the remote control, try that first after checking the fuse(s).

I needed to get to mine because I wanted to remove the locking function so the the cover just opened and closed on the latch, I leave my keys there while i am running, I used to leave them on the lower spring platform of the front strut but people could see me crouching and fiddling, it drew attention, I disconnected the wiring plug and manually pulled back the operating rod, you should be able to do the same on the MK3.

4 hours ago, logiclee said:

I dont think that is true Lee unless the MK3 is drastically diferent to the MK2, the solenoid should be inside the rear luggage compartment behind the side trims and to the rear of the filler cap, with one or two trims only removed you can grab hold of the operating rod and pull it to release the fuel filler.

I went to a VW mechanic and he got it open doing a random lock/unlock and pressing the cap, then he used some sandpaper on the plastic as it said it could get stuck and some oil on the actuator, but at least now I know I just need to be persistant and that if it happens again I will have to get the actuator changed or disable the locking

To be fair nows the time to think about replacing it, not when it sticks closed again in the near future! 

There have been some threads about replacing these, unless Ive imagined it. Try a search you might get lucky with a part number and a procedure.

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

I dont think that is true Lee unless the MK3 is drastically diferent to the MK2, the solenoid should be inside the rear luggage compartment behind the side trims and to the rear of the filler cap, with one or two trims only removed you can grab hold of the operating rod and pull it to release the fuel filler.

This makes me wonder if you could rig up something similar to a bonnet release, with a piece of stiff wire coming from the solenoid, through the side trim panel and into the boot.  Maybe with a ring on the end to pull/push with?

27 minutes ago, Stewart7 said:

This makes me wonder if you could rig up something similar to a bonnet release, with a piece of stiff wire coming from the solenoid, through the side trim panel and into the boot.  Maybe with a ring on the end to pull/push with?

Why would you want to?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Why would you want to?

To get round the problem of a failed solenoid?

To save the cost of a new solenoid?

Sorry, I'm an old fart always worrying about something that may never happen, but having a solution in mind just in case it does.

• Like 2

If it fails the important thing is to be able to open the fuel filler flap without forcing it and breaking the locking tang, even if you did it would still latch and unlatch as mine does.

I doubt that you would  go to the trouble that you describe without replacing the solenoid and that you would choose to open the boot every time to release the filler flap lock.

Mine is now disabled, I am at no more risk of having my fuel siphoned than before, there is an anti-siphon device anyway and the filler flap being locked is no obstruction to a thief who will lever it open in a heartbeat, the locking tang is a tiny piece of plastic.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If it fails the important thing is to be able to open the fuel filler flap without forcing it and breaking the locking tang, even if you did it would still latch and unlatch as mine does.

I doubt that you would  go to the trouble that you describe without replacing the solenoid and that you would choose to open the boot every time to release the filler flap lock.

Mine is now disabled, I am at no more risk of having my fuel siphoned than before, there is an anti-siphon device anyway and the filler flap being locked is no obstruction to a thief who will lever it open in a heartbeat, the locking tang is a tiny piece of plastic.

Thanks J.R.

On 15/07/2019 at 17:52, Mech0z said:

I have a 2013 MKIII 1.4 and today from one day to the other my fuel cap is completely stuck, I have tried pressing it a hundred times, tried carefully to pry it open, lock and unlock the doors etc

Is there any tricks to opening it and maybe fixing it myself or do I need to go to repairshop

Also is there a way to emergency open it?

• 1 year later...

This happened to me this week. Fortunately there is a detailed guide in the Yeti forum here which also applies to Mk3 Octavias. The part is about £35 and it takes 10 minutes to replace.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/383230-fuel-filler-flap/page/3/?tab=comments#elControls_4644299_menu

On 16/07/2019 at 18:51, ExSEAT said:

To be fair nows the time to think about replacing it, not when it sticks closed again in the near future! 

There have been some threads about replacing these, unless Ive imagined it. Try a search you might get lucky with a part number and a procedure.

• Like 2