Boost issue/whooshing on boost

Hi guys, recently brought a fabia and I'm having a issue. The issue is when the turbo comes in, you get this loud whooshing/hissing noise. 

The car doesnt seem to be bad on mpg, but it does give off black smoke.

The car has had a darkside egr delete and a pd150 turbo, apparently its mapped to 180bhp. 

I have taken off the bottom boost hose (90degree from intercooler to turbo) and done the tap and dye method, still make the noise. I also checked all nuts and bolt to make sure everything is tight, but I'm not really to sure where to start, I did read somewhere that could be a split intercooler? 

Anyways if anyone has some pointer I would sure appreciate it, as I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be that loud.

Cheers 

3 minutes ago, The JudGe said:

Hi guys, recently brought a fabia and I'm having a issue. The issue is when the turbo comes in, you get this loud whooshing/hissing noise. 

The car doesnt seem to be bad on mpg, but it does give off black smoke.

The car has had a darkside egr delete and a pd150 turbo, apparently its mapped to 180bhp. 

I have taken off the bottom boost hose (90degree from intercooler to turbo) and done the tap and dye method, still make the noise. I also checked all nuts and bolt to make sure everything is tight, but I'm not really to sure where to start, I did read somewhere that could be a split intercooler? 

Anyways if anyone has some pointer I would sure appreciate it, as I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be that loud.

Cheers 

I had a standard Mk1 Fabia Vrs almost from new in 2004 and it chucked out loads of black smoke when boosting under hard acceleration. Seems all normal to me.:biggrin:

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

I had a standard Mk1 Fabia Vrs almost from new in 2004 and it chucked out loads of black smoke when boosting under hard acceleration. Seems all normal to me.:biggrin:

Hi dude, yeah tbh its not actually loads like you cant see the back of the car, but the smoke is there. Again doesnt seem slow and seems ok-ish on mpg, but is the whoosing sound like you would hear from a boost leak. 

@The JudGe - You don't say who did the map, but it's not unknown for remaps to just add fuelling, which is a good way of causing smoke. If you're old enough to remember PSA's XUDT engines, they would smoke any time you used full throttle off boost because they were going to 100% injector duty and there wasn't sufficient air to burn the fuel injected.

9 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@The JudGe - You don't say who did the map, but it's not unknown for remaps to just add fuelling, which is a good way of causing smoke. If you're old enough to remember PSA's XUDT engines, they would smoke any time you used full throttle off boost because they were going to 100% injector duty and there wasn't sufficient air to burn the fuel injected.

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately I dont know who done the map, I believe also it wasnt mapped on a dyno just via a laptop. Tbh the smoke isnt excessive, like I had seen on other fabias. I'm just wondering if the noise is meant to be there ( but I doubt it ) or if I have a boost leak. MPG seems ok but only had the couple a couple days.

Edited by The JudGe

16 minutes ago, The JudGe said:

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately I dont know who done the map, I believe also it wasnt mapped on a dyno just via a laptop. Tbh the smoke isnt excessive, like I had seen on other fabias. I'm just wondering if the noise is meant to be there ( but I doubt it ) or if I have a boost leak. MPG seems ok but only had the couple a couple days.

OK, I was explaining why (subject to test) smoke is even likely.

As to turbo whoosh, if I have my window open, and accelerate with buildings to my right, I can sometimes hear a quiet whoosh. I know I don't have a boost leak.

7 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

If the turbo is excessively noisy you should take off the TIP and check the impeller for any signs of damage or wear before it undergoes an unsafe release. 

It has just had a new pd150 turbo and came with 20 months guarantee, that's why I haven't suspected that

7 minutes ago, The JudGe said:

It has just had a new pd150 turbo and came with 20 months guarantee, that's why I haven't suspected that

We've seen plenty of brand new turbos fail on here so you should definitely check it.

1 hour ago, The JudGe said:

Ok, well I have another issue.... I've lost boost, so the car is not boosting 

Pop, then no power and lots of black smoke? If so, then it's most likely a boost side hose joint.

8 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Pop, then no power and lots of black smoke? If so, then it's most likely a boost side hose joint.

Hi dude, turn the car off and back on after 5 mins and it's all fine and dandy now

UPDATE 

Garage has said the the boost hose from the turbo, it has split. I looked on ebay for a replacement but it looks different in the pictures to what I have, I have the pd150 turbo so what do I get the hose from for that please guys