The Great Culling of July 2019

xman

Having been prompted by a thread about the Skoda configurator and all Fabia engines disappeared except 1.0tsi 95ps I've just checked the configurator for Superbs.

Superb SE and Superb Sportline is no more.

1.5 tsi engine is gone (also on Kodiaq)

Edited by xman

1 hour ago, xman said:

Having been prompted by a thread about the Skoda configurator and all Fabia engines disappeared except 1.0tsi 95ps I've just checked the configurator for Superbs.

Is that just a configurator mishap/waiting update or officially dropped? 

Sportline Plus is still available though. 

29 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Is that just a configurator mishap/waiting update or officially dropped? 

Maybe, but 1.5tsi has also disappeared on SEAT Taracoo and Leon (possibly more VAG models) indicating a major change with this engine.

Possibly the Skoda SE 1.6 diesel was not a good seller so canned. No petrol alternative available for now. Always wondered about why have Sportline and Sportline plus, specs very close.

Fabia Estate has gone, lots of engine variants too, could be a major shake up in VAG marketing strategy

Edited by xman

1 hour ago, driventodevon said:

Good thing the 1.5 TSi has gone. A pity they haven’t reintroduced the 1.4!

Oh Dear!

I'm taking delivery of my new `factory fresh` 1.5 TSI next week.

Edited by mandp

18 minutes ago, mandp said:

Oh Dear!

I'm taking delivery of my new `factory fresh` 1.5 TSI next week.

Well, I hope for your sake that it is all you hope it will be.  It’s a lovely car.

It does seem that the serious “second gear flat spot” fault has been eliminated now, so it is really a question of whether you have a model/configuration/driving style in which kangarooing is still a problem.

As you will know from the forums, the important thing is that, if you do experience any problems, you put full details in writing to your dealer and Skoda UK at the earliest opportunity.

Another factor could be a massive fall in European new car sales in June 2019 of 7.9%. All manufacturers are probably rationalizing their ranges and dropping slow selling models. When the next Audi A3 is launched next year they have decided to drop the 3 door hatch (the 5 door out sold it 20 to 1) and the convertible will also go.:thinking:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, driventodevon said:

Well, I hope for your sake that it is all you hope it will be.  It’s a lovely car.

It does seem that the serious “second gear flat spot” fault has been eliminated now, so it is really a question of whether you have a model/configuration/driving style in which kangarooing is still a problem.

As you will know from the forums, the important thing is that, if you do experience any problems, you put full details in writing to your dealer and Skoda UK at the earliest opportunity.

Good morning, `driventodevon` (my hometown is Plymouth)

Thank you for your reply.

Being as you seem to suggest that the problem has something to do with gears, perhaps I should have said that mine will be a DSG.

I'm going to believe that the DSG will be okay.

Thanks again.

Have a lovely summer.

2 hours ago, mandp said:

Good morning, `driventodevon` (my hometown is Plymouth)

Thank you for your reply.

Being as you seem to suggest that the problem has something to do with gears, perhaps I should have said that mine will be a DSG.

I'm going to believe that the DSG will be okay.

Thanks again.

Have a lovely summer.

I'm afraid you get the kangarooing to an extent with the dsg, most notably after start up. The 1.5 engine doesn't feel as eager as the 1.4 imo.

On 19/07/2019 at 10:18, xman said:

1.5 TSI is still present in czech configurator. My guess its either just not on UK configurator yet, or Skoda UK has once again decided to limit the options you get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Says who?

Any announcement material about facelift. 

There will be few diesels and petrols to choose from including 1.5

and also hybrid in 2020 if I recall

• Like 1

Considering the 1.5tsi has disappeared on the UK configurators for Superb, Scala, Kodiaq, Audi A3, Seat Leon, Taracco, VW Passat, maybe others.

This suggests a big rethink is underway. Maybe a new engine or revision not yet available is replacing them. Maybe production issues or supply issues. Maybe marketing reducing variants. Maybe WLTP/RDE failures in UK retests.

Fabia has lost all engine options except 1.0 TSI 95ps version. Suggests the onerous WLTP/RDE revision due Sept 2019 may be the reason.

Also note Superb has lost S, SE, and Sportline (not plus) trims including all their engines. 

Might be temporary. Like 2018?

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Superb cull could be a prelude to the hybrid launch, the hybrid powertrain will be available in all trims, even S if they bring that back.

And of course that uses the good old 1.4tsi. 👍

The other reasons for all these disappearances could be RDE

RDE step 1 (with a NOx conformity factor of 2.1) has applied since 1 September 2017 for new car types. It will apply to all types as from September 2019.

RDE step 2 (with a NOx conformity factor of 1.0 plus an error margin of 0.5) applies from January 2020 for new types and then from January 2021 for all types.

• Like 1

Bit miffed as to the loss of the smaller petrol engines, my Superb is being replaced next year, as I only do less then 10k pa I was wishing to go to a petrol engine.

Only choices are 190 bhp (my car can't cope with 150 bhp through the front wheels so no hope of that) or 272 bhp 4x4🙄

15 minutes ago, Q102 said:

Bit miffed as to the loss of the smaller petrol engines, my Superb is being replaced next year, as I only do less then 10k pa I was wishing to go to a petrol engine.

Only choices are 190 bhp (my car can't cope with 150 bhp through the front wheels so no hope of that) or 272 bhp 4x4🙄

Seems like an easy decision to me 😁

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

Yeah buy a VRS245.:biggrin:

Yeah if you want a slower, less comfortable motor 😉

Oh sorry not slower of course if you have it remapped to 335.99999999999bhp :D

You still hanging out on the proper car forum then Shy ? 😉

4 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Yeah if you want a slower, less comfortable motor 😉

Oh sorry not slower of course if you have it remapped to 335.99999999999bhp :D

You still hanging out on the proper car forum then Shy ? 😉

I was actually trying to save him some money as a new 245 is a lot cheaper than a basic 272 or 268 whatever power they have these days. Yeah still loitering with the barge boys.:D

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I was actually trying to save him some money as a new 245 is a lot cheaper than a basic 272 or 268 whatever power they have these days. Yeah still loitering with the barge boys.:D

Well you know what they say ? Barge Boys have the biggest poles !

• Like 1