Air horns

I am considering fitting air horns to my new Superb. Having looked under the bonnet there doesn't appear to be much room. Has any other member fitted air horns and, if so, what type?

At present I'm looking at either Hella 003399801 or the Stebel Nautilus NG. I'm not taking delivery for a few months, so there is no rush.  

Hi

Just out of curiosity, is the horn not loud enough?

Mine makes people (the kids) near jump out of their skin when it's pressed.

If it were my Renault work van however, then I'd definitely agree it needed an upgrade as that is crap...

My main concern is that cyclists often weave in and out of car lanes, often with headphones on. If I can give them some form of warning, then so much the better. As I haven't taken delivery of my car I don't know what the horn will be like. 

I was researching fitting a Rolls Royce Avon to mine before I took delivery because I was concerned the performance maybe lacking. Luckily it was fine as I think you will find your horn to be 😊

I think fitting an Avon engine would be a little more complicated than my horns. My main concern is that cyclists tend to weave in and out of traffic, often with head-phones on, so my concern is that they won't hear my normal horn.

• Like 1

Honestly Ian it's a great horn on the Superb ( ooohhh !! ) One thing I hate is a weedy sounding horn. The Mrs has an i10 and it's.... well embarrassing. Superbs is certainly up there with the best horns on any of the cars I've owned. I'm worrying myself by the number of times i'm typing horn .... 😲

• Like 1

Normal horn will be fine to warn cyclists. I'd avoid air horns as all you are likely to do is surprise the cyclist and cause them to fall off in front of you. I speak from experience here, a lorry tooted the van next to me once when I was in the bike lane and I nearly **** myself :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, edwards said:

Normal horn will be fine to warn cyclists. I'd avoid air horns as all you are likely to do is surprise the cyclist and cause them to fall off in front of you. I speak from experience here, a lorry tooted the van next to me once when I was in the bike lane and I nearly **** myself :)

I was once holding a very expensive Cream Donut purchased from an exclusive shop in Londons Theatre Land. An extremely large Amercian lorry ( think Peterbilt ) was attempting to navigate a narrow road and loads of Pedestrians just kept walking in front of him. I said to the Mrs hold onto your Eccles Cake ( or whatever it was ) because that lorry is going to blow its 'Horns'. A second later the lorry blew its 'Horns' and I jumped and dropped my ####### Cream Donut !

Let this be a lesson if you are eating any kind of expensive bun with air 'Horns' in the vicinity ....

The wife didnt drop hers and just laughed which was properly out of order imo ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1