Normal behavior from the DSG?

I just got a 2012 2.0 103kw octy II fl with the DSG tranny, just had the oil flushed with sea foam with fresh oil, and the trans flushed twice. 

im wondering if should react like any other automatic pressure plate based transmissions in terms of power delivery. Im used to the automatics back stateside always having that crawl in drive that happens when you let off the brake as well as a fairly smooth power delivery from one plate to another and when shifting to reverse also having that low crawl that will always start when you lift off the brake. 

The DSG in my car has no noise right now, just sounds like a diesel. "tuka tuka tuka tuka tuka" no knock but you get the idea. no "midget trying to break out of the engine compartment with a sledgehammer"

im wondering if the DSG will have this same power delivery that im used to, as right now when i throw it in reverse i get nothing until i give her some gas and it lurches hard into the power. the same happens when starting in drive, she has this lurch that has got me a little worried.

Im trying to plan a full DMF and clutch swap but thats a few months away.... really just wondering if it is me just getting used to the new (for me) gearbox or should it be smooth like butter in terms of power delivery through the gears. 

is there any upgraded DMF out there or any clutch plates that are highly recommended.

thanks yall. 

Edited by Ronnstoppable

well skoda did the work, and it did this lurching before the oil change as well.....

let me restate the lurch, its not like you just drop the clutch in a manual from dead stop, just like you are using a stage 1-2 ish clutch plate in a manual, and that lurch from normal, controlled engagement being a little bit more intense than it usually is with the upgraded clutch.

More of a jerk than usual.

but not like a engine mount shattering experience. 

but once she is up to speed, shifts smooth as day, runs through all the gears very easily with no hesitation. it is just that 0-8 kmph that is just rough. 

I take it you mean a Main Dealership that has Skoda signs did it and not Skoda.

If you paid them to do the work best go back and ask them to get their Factory Trained Master Technician to find out what is wrong because something is wrong.

• Like 1

ok ill ask them and see whats up, Seems a little ridiculous that they would give it back to me and the thing be ready to explode without them saying something. 

what would be a good quoted price for such a job if done professionally?

Mine moves of its own accord in 1st/reverse if you take the foot off the brake in most instances. Exceptions being if it's cold weather (winter) and not warmed up, but this goes after a couple of minutes of driving. Also if you're trying to manoeuvre like a 3 point turn, if you're at full lock a bit of gas is required to get it shifting.

So 3 point turns in the dead of winter can be a bit interesting :D

there is for sure a pause from when I let off the brake and I step on the gas, there have been times when the car feels like it almost rolls backwards before engaging. ah, ****e. I feel like this all leads to the same ruddy conclusion that I need a new DMF and clutch.

Dsg is not the same as a torque converter slush box so it will not drive or behave exactly the same.

The key to avoid lurching and also allow crawling without gas, is to release the brake pedal and the dsg should allow the clutch to take up drive. It takes a second or so though.

When stopped at an incline foot on brake, if you take your foot of brake and give it a bootfull of gas, it will lurch and probably wheel spin.

In these circumstances, it is best to engage the handbrake, keeping your foot on the brake, as you move from brake to accelerator the car then doesn't roll back and you release the handbrake as you feel the dsg take up drive.

I seem to recall there is a section on the owners manual that covers the same points.

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1