Hatchback and large dog

Hi All

I have spotted a lovely red Superb TSI Sportline 4X4 in hatchback guise which would be of interest. However I have a Rottweiler bitch and am concerned that whilst the boot of the hatchback is large enough it possibly wouldn't be tall enough for her to stand up. Does anyone have a hatchback and a large dog and if so how does it fair? I know I would be better off with the estate but this particular vehicle just about creeps into my budget as it has 50k miles and think it will find it hard to find a TSI estate that does.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mark

Yeah i think i might have to pop along and see if i can try it out. The hatchback boot looks massive but the limitation is obvious when the dog wants to stand, although it does look really deep. 

Yes the alternative would be to have the dog on the rear seats with a harness I guess, just less ideal.

Thanks.

I would think it is not practical not only for space but also that large expanse of glass that is the rear window. Hot weather etc. As to space the rake of the window means there is no full height space behind the rear seats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd avoid it I think. I worry about the lack of shade in my Combi  due to the sloping glass, and its much worse in a hatchback. I suspect a dog crate wouldn't fit in a hatchback either, if you use one.

• Thanks 1

I’d avoid the hatch. Our Vizsla is ~25kgs and we put him in a (large) crate right against the back seats, on the rare occasions he gets in the Superb.  He hates my car though. 

We use another car for dog duties and he has plenty of room to stand, turn etc. Much more comfortable and less stressful  for him. 

When buying my Superb I would have 100% have got the estate if it would be regularly used for transporting the dog. The hatch has the volume but doesn’t have the same level of practicality.  

• Thanks 1

To give you an idea. We use a collapsible crate which you’d think was tailor made for the Superb hatch as it ‘just’ fits in behind the seats and before the glass slopes into the hatch lid

I certainly wouldn’t use it regularly and/or for extended periods for any size dog. (We’ve used it twice in 16 months for short drives)  

CB7823F1-E4E9-4F38-BF72-A17E0BCAA735.jpeg

06E8A386-579A-491D-BFCD-D4DC4621BAB7.jpeg

• Like 1

Penguin, what crate is that? It looks like it would be ideal for my parents when they dog sit for us, our crate won't go in their car.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, edwards said:

Penguin, what crate is that? It looks like it would be ideal for my parents when they dog sit for us, our crate won't go in their car.

It’s this one from Decathlon; I think it’s great value. I got the large:  

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fold-down-dog-transport-box-id_8308701.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_61980150214_c_316432703506_w_aud-308557096933:pla-295628810540_n_g_d_m_v__l__t__r_1o1x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_107968_z_GB_i_en_j_295628810540_s__e__h_9046817_ii__vi__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-L5hYXd4wIVB7LtCh12wgs9EAQYASABEgJSn_D_BwE

I also got this which fits perfectly inside, also a large: 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-dog-mat-brown-id_8308697.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a 10yr old cockapoo around 24kgs and a 2 year old French Bulldog around 20kgs.

They are absolutely fine together in my hatch boot, they can stand up near the rear seats and can lie down on their big bed with plenty of space each.

I use Travall gear in mine - fitted dog guard and rubber boot liner, with a massive soft dog bed that fits perfectly across the boot, but when pushed up against the rear seats it leaves a load of room for other bits (walking shoes/coats etc for us in the past). I use the boot net "programme" to secure things away.

When leaving the dogs in the car, there's plenty of room to leave bowls of water/food on the flat floor. On slightly warmer days I leave the windows/sunroof cracked open, and I use a boot latch extender (only 4 inches as the Frenchie is little!) so that the car can be locked secure but the dogs have PROPER airflow, not like just leaving the window open a bit. Frenchies are short nosed with inherent breathing issues, and they can't manage body temp very well so I'm over cautious!

The hatchback's boot certainly gets more sun than the estate, but then the estate has 3 rear windows, not sure about temperatures etc but it should be irrelevant because dogs shouldn't be left in cars on hot sunny days.

Security wise you would walk past my car and not know about my dogs in the boot (unless I was using the latch extender) - because they are hidden from view, and if the sun comes out they can lie under the metal boot lid section in the shade to keep cool. I have a Pandora system fitted to my car too so I feel confident in knowing they're safe.

I certainly wouldn't leave my dogs on show in the back of an estate - too noticeable.

If you love the car, GO FOR IT - I originally wanted a Superb estate L&K 2.0tdi 4x4.

I ended up falling in love with my hatch L&K 2.0TSI 220, over 2 years ago now and still love it completely.

P.S. Literally the only down side for me is our cocka is getting on now and the hatch opening is higher than the estate so harder for him to jump in. Frenchie's like a bloody spring he could jump into a Ranger 😆 

Edited by drewellis
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone that replied and sorry for the delay checking back in. I don't think my budget will stretch to a 280 estate but I have seen a few 190 diesels with low mileage that I might just be able to afford. I don't really do the mileage for a diesel but I've never had an issue with CR diesel engines in VAG motors.

Check for 2.0tsi 220 engines, they'll be cheaper. FWD only though.

There's also a 1.4 or 1.5 I believe? Only 150bhp though