Comparsion between Octy VRS TDI and Karoq

whizzo

Hi all,

After some advice from anyone who has made the switch from an Octy 3 VRS TDI to a Karoq 150hp diesel.

I am coming to the end of my lease on my Octavia and quite fancy a Karoq Sportline 2.0 tdi 150hp, however I cannot find a demo to drive to see what the performance drop really feels like. I don tend to drive my Octy that hard, but I do like to put my foot down from time to time and don't want to get a 3 yr lease on the Karoq to find I have made the wrong choice.

What is the Karoq like day to day, does it feel as quick with the same push that the Octavia has with the assistance of the 4wd or would it need to be worked harder to get the same go?

Appreciate all comments from people who have made the switch, currently trying to track down a demo within reasonable distance to Newcastle to have a go myself.

Thanks

Dave

I went from a MK2 Octavia 2.0 TDI 140 bhp to a TDI  150 bhp 4x4 Karoq. (Both DSG)

It's a great engine, but on smaller A&B roads when stuck behind cars doing 50+ mph it doesn't seem to have quite the urgency to nip round them.

At slightly lower speeds it does feel like it's got more "go" when you floor it. 

A number of factors - the main ones being power and weight. The mk3 Octavia VRS TDI is more powerful and will almost certainly be lighter. You could look up the specs of both and work out the bhp/ton - that will give you a rough idea of the performance drop. Then there are other factors - gearbox/gear ratios, engine power/torque curve, rotating weight, wind/rolling resistance.

70 or 80 MPH will be the same speed in either car and the Karoq will not struggle to 80mph, the engine will not be working hard, it is a diesel

& since that is not needing the accelerator to the floor you can just use more of it to go faster than things you need to overtake.

If you need to drop a gear or 2 that is what gears are for!

Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 17.28.05.png

Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 17.34.28.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

I came from an Octy Scout DSG 184hp to a Karoq 2ltr tdi 4x4 DSG, and while it don't have the kick in the pants the Octy had it is no slouch! a nudge of the stick into sports and I find it plenty good enough.

Hi,

i did exactly what you are asking. 

I had a diesel vrs salon manual and went to a Karoq diesel Edition 4x4 dsg. 

Performance wise it’s never going to pull like a vrs does in 3rd gear. But it has a reasonably go at it, if you use flappy paddles in manual mode you can nip past stuff, but need to plan it well.  

On the motorway it cruises with ease at higher speeds. Being a 7 speed dsg it revs much lesss the the vrs 6 speed.

The suspension is a lot softer than vrs 

The 4x4 is good for nipping out on damp roads and does feel sure footed when pushed hard. Works well in the snow. 

Mine does 45mpg most of the time. Can get up to 47mpg if miss daisy comes out to play but I do like to crack on where roads allow. 

It hates short journeys down to low 40’s mpg.

cold weather + winter diesel lucky to get 40 mpg. 

I don’t like the dsg gearbox, never seems to be in the right gear coupled with the latest stop / start  technology which likes to stop the engine whilst still rolling at low speed, ( below 5mph) , big delay whilst engine restarts and gearbox oil pressure gets up ready to go. ( always turn start / stop off ) 

It’s a good car just a bit on the boring side, I have had mine for 2 years and hoping to go  back to a vrs. 

Mine has done 21000 Miles now. 

• 3 months later...
On 29/07/2019 at 15:53, whizzo said:

Hi all,

After some advice from anyone who has made the switch from an Octy 3 VRS TDI to a Karoq 150hp diesel.

I am coming to the end of my lease on my Octavia and quite fancy a Karoq Sportline 2.0 tdi 150hp, however I cannot find a demo to drive to see what the performance drop really feels like. I don tend to drive my Octy that hard, but I do like to put my foot down from time to time and don't want to get a 3 yr lease on the Karoq to find I have made the wrong choice.

What is the Karoq like day to day, does it feel as quick with the same push that the Octavia has with the assistance of the 4wd or would it need to be worked harder to get the same go?

Appreciate all comments from people who have made the switch, currently trying to track down a demo within reasonable distance to Newcastle to have a go myself.

Thanks

Dave

Did you make the change?