Favorit European Adventure

Very interesting and quite informative journal. I loved the Monaco part because there are so many insanely expensive cars in there that your car must have been a head-turner 😎

Once again the classic Skodas showed they're tough little cars. If well maintained they will repay the owners with joy. You did a good job on your car so the little green frog leaped happily up into the mountains.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Very interesting and quite informative journal. I loved the Monaco part because there are so many insanely expensive cars in there that your car must have been a head-turner 😎

Once again the classic Skodas showed they're tough little cars. If well maintained they will repay the owners with joy. You did a good job on your car so the little green frog leaped happily up into the mountains.

I think we were definitely the most rare and exclusive car in Monaco ;)

• Like 2

Glad you made it and without any fuss on the part of the Favorit, Wes. Great write up too. Makes me want to get my Felicia going again and reminds me of the number of times I drove down and back up the country with it similarly without issue.

Nice glasses too! :D

• Like 1

Nice trip and journal is enjoyable to read :)

Did you know, that Turin was one of many birthplaces of Favorit? It was designed and first prototypes were build by Carrozzeria Bertone. One of Favorit prototypes, from Bertone's collection, can be found in Volandia museum. Have you wanted idea for another adventure? :D

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Papez said:

Nice trip and journal is enjoyable to read :)

Did you know, that Turin was one of many birthplaces of Favorit? It was designed and first prototypes were build by Carrozzeria Bertone. One of Favorit prototypes, from Bertone's collection, can be found in Volandia museum. Have you wanted idea for another adventure? :D

I knew about Bertone but I didn't know there was the prototype in the museum 🤔

Favorit was part of Bertone's collection, which was for sale a few years ago, after company bankrupted.

Recently, I found that collection was sold to Italian autoclub, which exhibits whole collection in Volandia. More info is in this article, photo of Favorit can be found halfway through article:

https://www.roadster-life.com/post/the-bertone-collection

I don't know what was purpose of this  prototype, it looks like minor facelift from 90's and I know I've seen photo of its presentation in the past. But I cannot find it now...

Edit: found it on Czech forum

https://skoda-virt.cz/cz/forum/skodovky/75617-bertoneho-showcar/?gotopost=1278040

However, no more info on topic, only that photo comes somewhere from 1990-1991.

Edited by Papez

Day 4- "You're only supposed to blow the b100dy doors off!"

And you don't quote dates, but on 26th and 27th July, the Tour de France cycle race shortened its stages due to severe weather (hail storm, and rain heavy enough to cause mud slides over the route).

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Day 4- "You're only supposed to blow the b100dy doors off!"

And you don't quote dates, but on 26th and 27th July, the Tour de France cycle race shortened its stages due to severe weather (hail storm, and rain heavy enough to cause mud slides over the route).

:)

We were about a week before the TDF hit the bad weather. There had been a huge snow covering up the St Bernard pass 3 days before we were there but all was fine luckily for us and the pass was open as normal with not too much evidence of any snow at the level we were 

This is fantastic. Glad (but not surprised) you made it. Out of my three cars, Favorit, Felicia and a Triumph 1300TC the Favorit is the one I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and do something like this tomorrow.  I give it a service at MOT time in February and never have to top up the oil for the whole year (which is more than can be said of the VW engined Felicia). Further more, the oil hasn't even turned black yet six months after the oil change. 

A friend I'd not seen in a while came down last week. He has a mk2 Golf GTD the same year as my Fav and mk1 Focus as an everyday car. He took the Favorit for a spin and couldn't believe how well it drives. He was grinning like a Cheshire cat and even laughing out loud (in a good way) at times particularly at the super slick gear change. He said it drove better than both his cars. 

Love the pics in Monaco, I want to take mine there now. But here's a more down to earth one. 20170727_130457.thumb.jpg.404dfb19a6a8ef57156d16387ca7b708.jpg

This is where it used to live, about a mile from where I'm sitting now in Southampton. It was there for years. As you say, it was a bit patchy. Looks great now. Well done. 

Edited by Yoss

33 minutes ago, Yoss said:

This is fantastic. Glad (but not surprised) you made it. Out of my three cars, Favorit, Felicia and a Triumph 1300TC the Favorit is the one I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and do something like this tomorrow.  I give it a service at MOT time in February and never have to top up the oil for the whole year (which is more than can be said of the VW engined Felicia). Further more, the oil hasn't even turned black yet six months after the oil change. 

A friend I'd not seen in a while came down last week. He has a mk2 Golf GTD the same year as my Fav and mk1 Focus as an everyday car. He took the Favorit for a spin and couldn't believe how well it drives. He was grinning like a Cheshire cat and even laughing out loud (in a good way) at times particularly at the super slick gear change. He said it drove better than both his cars. 

Love the pics in Monaco, I want to take mine there now. But here's a more down to earth one. 20170727_130457.thumb.jpg.404dfb19a6a8ef57156d16387ca7b708.jpg

This is where it used to live, about a mile from where I'm sitting now in Southampton. It was there for years. As you say, it was a bit patchy. Looks great now. Well done. 

Thanks, was very good fun lapping the GP track in Monaco past some very confused looking supercar drivers and spotters !!

Still needs the arches sorting, and some damage to the back door which was blown over, and combination of the T-cutting and the sun has made a lot worse..  Will see what Mr MOT man says in October before committing to any more bodywork !!

Oh and those wine glasses are epic. If you do sell the car on and decide you don't want the glasses any more let me know. 

51 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Oh and those wine glasses are epic. If you do sell the car on and decide you don't want the glasses any more let me know. 

yeah they are super cool. Someone posted the link on the Favorit FB page and I couldn't resist!!

Screenshot_20190806-150257_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190806-150253_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190806-150246_eBay.jpg

Edited by wesacosa

12 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Could you estimate (in hours) the longest non-stop climb leg?

The leg from Lake Geneva to the alpine pass was gradually climbing, whole route was about 1.5 hours at leisurely pace but the main climb through the Gt St Bernard pass was around 40 minutes starting gently but last 5km were extremely steep, narrow and twisty (and slow!!)