overheating kodiaq

hi,

anyone else had a overheating problem with their kodiaq.mine came up overheating check fluid...looked at the gauge and it was in the red.fluid coming out of expansion tank.topped it up,let it stand for 20 mins.started it up and gauge stood at 90.set off and within 200 yds it did it again.called out green flag,waited 2hrs,after several tests and dignostics he said it was a fan fault(he tried to get it to run but couldnt)i had already suspected the fan.,fan not coming in on mormal running mode,but fan working on ac mode.said i could drive it with ac on full and it would be ok.drove 165 mls like that and it was fine.

took it back next day to skoda,after a bit of persuasion the said they would priorotise it and left it with them.4 hours later they said it looked like an air lock problem(skodas are having these problems ive since been told??).i said what about the fan....ok they said..no i said,i was there...it did not work...well its working fine nowpick it tomorrow,,,we'll see.

• Confused 1

hi.

had the caravan on the back,skoda assist will not carry the van.skoda garage were no great help,no car available and were going to leave it 3days before they even looked at it,as you can imagine the **** hit the fan...and they looked at it immediately

Edited by klarky
  • Thanks 1

When a Dealership has no car, or will not give up the little perks that Skoda UK actually own you call Skoda Assist or Skoda Customer Services and they can get a Hire Car.

All the best with it.

PS.

?

Did your car have ' Factory Towing Prep'?

Skoda Assist will recover both the car and caravan only IF the breakdown is as a result of the car, not the caravan, which in this example is the case.

Anyhow, it's at Skoda now.

Is the towbar factory fitted, or aftermarket? On Kodiaq's with factory fitted towbars there are upgrades to the grill and fan to improve engine and gearbox cooling.

Air locks are common across VAG, which usually results in a dash warning about low coolant, well before the engine actually overheats.

My 190 Tsi has never overheated, however after switching off I presume the electric cooling pump runs on for a while and is quite noisy in the cabin with an obvious gurgling noise. I don’t know if this is trapped air or perfectly normal. 

PS I’m pretty sure this isn’t the aircon as it still does it with aircon off.

Klarky I hope you get it sorted soon, I believe there is a routine they use to bleed the system after a coolant replacement as has been done. Air locks appear to be too easy in these engines with multiple cooling loops.

16 hours ago, Greenliner1 said:

My 190 Tsi has never overheated, however after switching off I presume the electric cooling pump runs on for a while and is quite noisy in the cabin with an obvious gurgling noise. I don’t know if this is trapped air or perfectly normal. 

PS I’m pretty sure this isn’t the aircon as it still does it with aircon off.

Klarky I hope you get it sorted soon, I believe there is a routine they use to bleed the system after a coolant replacement as has been done. Air locks appear to be too easy in these engines with multiple cooling loops.

Mine don't do that mate, yes the fan overruns when engine turned off, and I only here that when I'm outside the car, but no gurgling noises. Could well be trapped air in system. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy, thought it was unusual, looks like a trip to the dealers where they’ll say;

1. I can’t hear it

2. They all do that.

PS the car runs quieter on 95 RON than Momentum 99. V power also quieter?

hi,

thanks for all the replies.they did the car the same day(must have rattled them lol),according to the mechanic on the car it was an 'airlock'.had the car few days now and all seems ok.hopefully it will nor re-occur,i wont hold my breath.towing a caravan ,its not the best thing to happen,and its always going to play on my mind.at least i know how to deal with it now its happened.

On 30/07/2019 at 20:18, Roottootemoot said:

Did you not have Skoda Assist to call, have car recovered get a courtesy car or hire car arranged by Skoda?

yes i had skoda assist,the car is only 19 months old with 13000 mls on.didnt think they would accomadate the caravan so i phoned green flag.thing is with green flag, they get you their and bring you back,so i still keep membership up.

Edited by klarky