Changing front brake pads

Quick question, as I'm planning to do the front brake pads on my Skoda this bank holiday weekend.

• Is there any VW special tools needed? Or a standard socket is all that's needed to release the calliper?
  • What is the specified wheel nut torque and calliper nut torque?

Many thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Quick question, as I'm planning to do the front brake pads on my Skoda this bank holiday weekend.

• Is there any VW special tools needed? Or a standard socket is all that's needed to release the calliper?
  • What is the specified wheel nut torque and calliper nut torque?

Many thanks in advance

It's super easy, no special tools needed apart from a g-clamp to push the piston back in or even better a tool for it which you should be able to get at any auto parts shop. If you're doing the rotors as well (you should) then you'll want a breaker bar for the caliper carrier bolts. Wheel nuts - 130nm; caliper slider bolts - 35nm; caliper carrier bolts 200nm.

When you eventually do the rears you'll need a triple square socket set and a caliper winder tool as the pistons wind in rather than push in.

• Thanks 1

Is this the same for changing the disks too? No special tools required? I need to change my disks and pads in the next few weeks and I've had the parts sitting under my desk for a while now!

Thank you both, for the very speedy reply.

Only the front pads this time. The disc looks to be in good shape.

My Dad is coming over to help (and bring his tools). I've witnessed front pad+disc being done on my Nissan Leaf by a good colleague of mine a few months ago. So although this is my first time doing work on cars, I feel I've researched this thoroughly and there won't be any surprises.

• 2 years later...

Is there an idiots guide to changing brake pads on the mk 3 somebody could link up please, never done it and as a taxi driver they need doing more than most, thanks in advance ?