Service History Mystery

Not sure I'm liking the modern soft-copy only world of service history. I am not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling that my car has been looked after properly, hence reaching out for the opinion of fellow owners.

My car is a Octavia VRS TDI DSG. It was first registered in May 18 and I bought it in May 19, pretty much bang on one year old with 7400 miles.

I've checked online and it says there was a service done in December 2018 (no further details). A bit bizarre as I am used to annual servicing and that seems really early. I was a little bit re-assured when I looked at the history for my wife's VRS which didn't provide any more details than mine did but we do know hers has had proper services during our ownership.

My decision was to trust the December 18 date and wait until the 12 months was up and have another service done in December 19. It's niggling at me though as I've no idea if I am doing the right thing at the right time and even if I need a major or minor service. 

I'm sure the answer is out there amongst the wealth of information people have kindly uploaded to help out their fellow Octavia owners, but I though I'd give it a shot asking the question first. Many thanks.

Incidentally, owning 2 cars exactly the same on a 64 plate and an 18 plate has offered some insights. My wifes car has 55k on it but it somehow seems a lot perkier and nippier than mine. The stop/start also seems a lot less fussy than the new car. We're both loving our motoring right now though.

If you go into the cars menu you can check when the car thinks it needs its next service. That might help you decide if the December date is correct, and what type of servicing the car is on, as it can be annual or variable.

It is possible the first owner decided to have an early oil change, what with it being a new car

If you are in doubt, for peace of mind, just have an oil & filter change done, by yourself or any VAG garage with a deal on. I can often find a franchise dealer willing to do oil & filter for £99. Better over serviced than under..... 

Apologies in advance... I no longer own a Skoda, so not 100% current.

However, most of the VAG marques have access to this information via an smartphone app or erWin.

My’enter marque’ app, should allow you to see the service history online.

Try downloading the ‘myskoda’ app and see what information is there. 

Audi also allows owners to view service history for free via erWin, and independent garages can update the service history to the erWin system via the portal - again, not sure if Skoda have followed this yet, but probably not far away.

Edited by Black_Sheep

I was given a print out of service history at 4 yrs, having owned the car from new, without asking. Dealership said ask anytime and they'll print me one. Have you tried just asking Luptonian? Sure the print out gives a bit of detail as to what's been done, guess it might depend how thorough the servicing dealer is as well.

Personally I think the idea of it all being digital is good, but having different systems for different manufacturers sucks as you usually end up with limited info and no obvious way to access it.

Mot history is great, it's all on DVLA whoever you take it to, however servicing isn't.  

Mine has only had one service, at a dealer, no idea what was done.

Future services will not be done at dealers so it'll all be paper based from now on for me.  

I like technology but sometimes it actually makes life more difficult.

Here is the link for independent garages/fleet users with own garages for access to erWin digital service records:

https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/downloadStaticFile/dsp/audi/EN_DigitalServiceSchedule.pdf

Obviously, you could create you own login to view.

Skoda’s access is here:

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showDSP.do

Edited by Black_Sheep
  • Like 1

I've been on myskoda and can see that the car had some kind of service in Dec 18 but it does not elaborate on what was done. If it was a year after first registration or the mileage was high then I could make the leap of faith that an oil change was involved but as it was only 7 months then it leaves me a bit confused.

The car itself is saying a inspection is due in 80 odd days (would make sense, that would be December again) but it's saying an oil change is due in over 400 days. Bizarre. I think I read somewhere that the oil is changed in the first year or at 12500 miles and then every 2 years!? That would follow.

I think what I'll do is have a look at those links that were kindly posted to get some more information and try and nail down what's needed and possibly what and why some kind of inspection/service was done at 7 months old. If I cant nail it down then I'll just get a precautionary oil as was suggested. Unfortunately I cannot ask what happened to the car as there is no paperwork regarding dealerships or previous owners.

Call the dealer you bought it from & ask them to post/email/whatapps you the fulll service information.

From what you've said it seems like your car is configured for variable servicing so the inspection is due each year but the oil change every 2 years or 30k km.

As the others have said, if in doubt, servicing early is always better than being too late but as long as you follow the service information shown by the car its should be fine.