Activate DRL on FL

In the manual for my FL Elegance it says you can enable and disable the daytime running lights by doing some funky movement with the indicator stalk.

To enable:

within 3 seconds of turning on ignition, pull the high beam on and hold the stalk up (right indicator) for 3 seconds

To disable:

same as above except hold stalk down (left indicator) instead

I did the enable earlier and it gives the confirmation chime after doing it successfully but the DRL bulbs in the fog lights do not come on. In fact nothing comes on. If I try to do the enable trick again, it doesn't give the chime, but if I do the disable trick it gives me the chime, then I do the enable again and get the chime so something's definitely working somewhere.

I looked through the settings in the maxidot with it enabled and disabled and there's nothing in there about daytime running lights. It is worth mentioning that my car does not have auto lights as standard but I have fitted the auto switch, although it hasn't been coded yet so the lights just stay on all the time when the switch is in the auto position, although I don't think this should affect the DRLs (yes I did test with the light switch in off position...)

Would be great if anyone can shed any light on this

The procedure you mentioned is for turning the drl on and off once they have been activated by software. You only need to this once.

I used the Carista app coupled to the diagnostic port to get mine working. Like you, I tried the procedure in the handbook before realising that Skoda had not chosen to activate them in the factory.

Other software such as VCDS can be used or dealers can do it for £+++.

Use the search function on here to find the posts on this subject.

One advantage of the Carista app for activating the drl function is that you can also activate many other functions such as cornering lights using fogs, tear drop wipe on front and rear wipers and loads more.

1 minute ago, pikpilot said:

The procedure you mentioned is for turning the drl on and off once they have been activated by software. You only need to this once.

I used the Carista app coupled to the diagnostic port to get mine working. Like you, I tried the procedure in the handbook before realising that Skoda had not chosen to activate them in the factory.

Other software such as VCDS can be used or dealers can do it for £+++.

Use the search function on here to find the posts on this subject.

One advantage of the Carista app for activating the drl function is that you can also activate many other functions such as cornering lights using fogs, tear drop wipe on front and rear wipers and loads more.

Thanks for the reply, I did have a feeling this may be the case. Were the DRLs routinely not activated on UK cars? I saw an 11 plate Elegance earlier with the DRLs on!

Please tell me more about Carista. Once the DRLs are activated in the coding, will it show up in the maxidot settings? I need to get the auto lights activated so the lights don't just stay on all the time and I have coming home / leaving home. I do want the cornering fog lights too. What is tear drop wipe?

I am learning so much!

Carista is an app for Apple and Google products that is more than just a fault code reader as it can access hidden car features and add/change them. For example, I changed the "lane change" indicator from three flashes to five. Some of the changes can be made using the Maxidot display but other can't. I don't have a Maxidot display so I don't know if it will show up but I expect it will and would also allow you turn the DRLs on and off.

When you use the screen washers, after a while you get a trickle of water that runs down the screen and in the past I used to flip the wiper on for just one wipe. Tear drop wipe does this for you automatically.

The DRLs were not activated on facelift models as standard as they were not compulsory and many people hated them. Now all cars have them, people wish to add them to bring their cars up to date! The 2011 car you saw must have had the software activation.

You can fit auto lights to your car very easily. It takes less than a minute to pull out the old light switch and fit a similar one with auto lights. You may have to add one extra wire to the loom but it is easy to do. Some cars already had the extra wire in place. Search for auto lights and you will find many "how to do it" posts, some with pictures.

Your DRLs will switch off when headlights are in use as required by law.

Coming back to Carista, you will also need a device that plugs into the diagnostics port (low down in the panel on the driver's side that goes down from the end of the dash to the pedal area. It is partly recessed so use a torch the first time.)

I chose one with built in WiFi so I can use it with my iPad mini but Bluetooth versions are more common. Carista offer their own version but expensive.

Finally here is all you need to know about Carista. The prices have gone up but you can buy access just when you need it. I am fortunate as I have lifetime free use with updates as an early adopter, but I am not an ambassador for them as I know the limitations as well.

https://caristaapp.com

All great info, much appreciated.

> Carista sounds good. I might have a look. I do have a friend with the full VCDS, but it would be handy to do it myself.

> Teardrop wipe. I had that feature on a Seat Leon a long time ago, so glad to hear the Octavia can do it too after coding. I definitely want that turned on.

> DRLs. Yes ok. I saw a youtube video demonstrating the different types of day running lights the car can do. I just want to have the DRL bulbs in the fog lights lit up and NOTHING else, no rear lights etc, and of course they should go out when the dipped beam is on.

> Auto lights. I have already fitted the switch and wire. But have not had the coding done yet. I assume as the BCM doesn't know what the 'auto' position on the switch means yet, it just detects a fault and keeps the lights on all the time.

Carista is perfectly fine as a cheaper alternative for fault codes etc but for coding, I believe VCDS is a better option.

DRL with no other lights is the 'stock' behaviour as is them turning off when sidelights or dipped beams are turned on. The on/off option should appear in the maxidot too.

Auto light switch won't work until it's coded in. At the moment, the BCM will report the auto position as an implausible signal and enter 'safe mode' turning the headlights on :)

• 4 years later...
On 16/09/2019 at 01:06, slow_nick said:

Thanks, have ordered a Carista dongle!

Hi i have enable and disable  the DRL from Maxdot all is ok

The problem is when i enable the DRL the symbol from DRL warning light not open 

How to coding with vcds and fix it;;;;

Thanks

Sounds like you have not activated the DRL in the ECU. The maxidot DRL ON/OFF is like the procedure shown in the handbook for those without Maxidot. The warning message is to tell you to activate in the ecu using a program such as VCDS, Carista or one of the many alternatives. Unfortunately the term "activate" is used for both procedures.

See my posts on this thread dated 11 and 12 Sept 2019.

• 3 weeks later...

It could be that the DRLs only come on when the handbrake has been released - I have configured it to do this on my 60 plate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are configured so they only come on when the light switch is in the "Auto" position.

And can confirm that there is no indicator light on the dash.