Emissions Warning Light - glow plug

3 hours ago, Wino said:

You can assure me, but I'd be much more likely to believe it if you could show me somehow with some VCDS data or similar. 

Look just above this post, and I’ve posted a link. 

I don’t have a diesel anymore so can’t check anything on my own car. 
but a master tech of 7 years, I promise you they are used a lot more than cold starting 

• 7 months later...

Less than a week after the warranty expired and with less than 11,000 miles on the clock, my 2019 Superb displayed the Emissions Control System  warning light. It didn't go into limp mode and 200 miles later (because I was away) still hasn't. I had already committed to take out Skoda's All-in extended warranty plan but, bizarrely, for bureaucratic reasons it's not possible to trigger it until one week has elapsed from expiry date. I have now enacted the plan and the car went to the dealer yesterday where a faulty glowplug module was diagnosed. However, the dealer can't just order up the part and book it in as usual, it has to get the agreement of the warranty company (Skoda Financial Services) as to whether they will cover the claim. It remains to be seen if I have to cancel my caravanning holiday booked for next week and whether the warranty company deems the fault to have fallen down the crack between warranty expiry and enacting the All-in plan. To be continued...

2 hours ago, PaulsSuperb said:

Less than a week after the warranty expired and with less than 11,000 miles on the clock, my 2019 Superb displayed the Emissions Control System  warning light. It didn't go into limp mode and 200 miles later (because I was away) still hasn't. I had already committed to take out Skoda's All-in extended warranty plan but, bizarrely, for bureaucratic reasons it's not possible to trigger it until one week has elapsed from expiry date. I have now enacted the plan and the car went to the dealer yesterday where a faulty glowplug module was diagnosed. However, the dealer can't just order up the part and book it in as usual, it has to get the agreement of the warranty company (Skoda Financial Services) as to whether they will cover the claim. It remains to be seen if I have to cancel my caravanning holiday booked for next week and whether the warranty company deems the fault to have fallen down the crack between warranty expiry and enacting the All-in plan. To be continued...

One failed glow plug won't give you a problem.

My daughter went around with what she thought was one failed glow plug for 3 months as she was assured by a VAG expert that it would not cause any problems and she could leave it until the next service.

As it turned out it was 2 failed glow plugs but there were no problems apart from the warning light. (Same car as yours).

23 minutes ago, Hozz said:

One failed glow plug won't give you a problem.

My daughter went around with what she thought was one failed glow plug for 3 months as she was assured by a VAG expert that it would not cause any problems and she could leave it until the next service.

As it turned out it was 2 failed glow plugs but there were no problems apart from the warning light. (Same car as yours).

Many thanks for your interesting response and I suspect you're correct. I'm not even sure if the glow plug has actually failed, as opposed to the monitoring system (undoubtedly showing my ignorance here) especially as there is no drop off in performance. However, I have a problem, don't I, where the dealer is advising me not to use the car extensively, let alone tow a caravan as I plan to do next week? I can imagine the warranty company taking a certain view if, however unlikely, further damage was to occur. 

Edited by PaulsSuperb

3 hours ago, PaulsSuperb said:

I'm not even sure if the glow plug has actually failed, as opposed to the monitoring system (undoubtedly showing my ignorance here) especially as there is no drop off in performance.

There wouldn't be, unless the weather was cold enough for a failed glow plug to cause starting issues.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

There wouldn't be, unless the weather was cold enough for a failed glow plug to cause starting issues.

Okay thanks, I now know a bit more about what a glow plug is and does than before this issue arose. Anyway, the warranty work is approved and it's booked in for next week. Has the All-in plan started paying for itself, I wonder?