Cupra Ateca

Orville

I am seriously considering replacing my Karoq SE Tech 1.5 DSG with a Cupra Ateca. My wife loves the size of the Karoq, and I want something a little more-sporty. Without a Karoq RS derivative, the £30K-to-£40K sporty-SUV bracket seems to lack any real competition for the Cupra. The Tiguan 230 TSI seems to be the closest-alternative, but this is 70bhp down on power, and costs £3K more for similar spec.

Any thoughts on the Cupra Ateca or possible alternatives?

*Kodiaq is too big (for the wife) plus she hates estate cars. Car has to be a comfortable 4/5-seater with room for a dog in the boot.

**Mileage is just 6-8K pa, so diesel is not a worthwhile option.

Edited by Orville

6 hours ago, Orville said:

I am seriously considering replacing my Karoq SE Tech 1.5 DSG with a Cupra Ateca. My wife loves the size of the Karoq, and I want something a little more-sporty. Without a Karoq RS derivative, the £30K-to-£40K sporty-SUV bracket seems to lack any real competition for the Cupra. The Tiguan 230 TSI seems to be the closest-alternative, but this is 70bhp down on power, and costs £3K more for similar spec.

Any thoughts on the Cupra Ateca or possible alternatives?

*Kodiaq is too big (for the wife) plus she hates estate cars. Car has to be a comfortable 4/5-seater with room for a dog in the boot.

Just to add a bit more.

The Cupra is DSG only and it also has DCC and a Virtual cockpit as standard. I would guess the boot is a similar size to the Karoq so that should keep Fido as happy as he is now. There may be slight differences depending upon having a spare wheel or not though.

My tyres are the P Zero self sealing type as standard. As for power, it's now starting to loosen up so whilst it may be v.fast in a straight line, it'll always be an SUV with the inherent characteristics of a car which is raised higher than normal - AWD will however help with harnessing the cornering grip.

28 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Just to add a bit more.

The Cupra is DSG only and it also has DCC and a Virtual cockpit as standard. I would guess the boot is a similar size to the Karoq so that should keep Fido as happy as he is now. There may be slight differences depending upon having a spare wheel or not though.

My tyres are the P Zero self sealing type as standard. As for power, it's now starting to loosen up so whilst it may be v.fast in a straight line, it'll always be an SUV with the inherent characteristics of a car which is raised higher than normal - AWD will however help with harnessing the cornering grip.

Thanks for the comments.

The main thing I dislike about my Karoq is it's traction. Being the FWD-model, even he 1.5 TSI squeels like a pig every time I push hard with my right-foot in 1st-gear. Puling onto a busy roundabout or finding a gap in traffic can be a little embarrassing. 4WD will solve the problem, and a little extra performance is always welcome. I like the "mildly-agreesive" look of the Ateca, and I think my mind is now set. Now it's just the colour to decide.

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

Thanks for the comments.

The main thing I dislike about my Karoq is it's traction. Being the FWD-model, even he 1.5 TSI squeels like a pig every time I push hard with my right-foot in 1st-gear. Puling onto a busy roundabout or finding a gap in traffic can be a little embarrassing. 4WD will solve the problem, and a little extra performance is always welcome. I like the "mildly-agreesive" look of the Ateca, and I think my mind is now set. Now it's just the colour to decide.

Might be worth buying this weeks Auto Express magazine for the triple test between Cupra Ateca (0-60mph in 4.7 seconds), Audi SQ2 (SAME 296BHP and 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds matching a Golf R) and the new BMW X2 with 302bhp and 0-60mph in 5.0 seconds.:thumbup:

Just ordered a red one😀.

It was a toss-up between Rodium Grey  and Velvet Red metallic. Red won, solely-because I have not owned a red car for more 20-years, but have owned multiple shades of grey during same period.

I asked about any spec changes between 2019 & 2020 MY's, and only real-difference is that 2020 cars get the 9.2" glass-fronted infotainment system as-standard. Went for a factory-order to ensure 2020 MY, plus December'ish delivery fits with my Karoq's lease-expiry.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 4

On 20/09/2019 at 13:24, TonyTonic said:

Cupra Ateca 👍 cracking car if you can afford!

It will be on personal lease @ 6+35 x £300pm. It's £100pm more than the Karoq SE Tech 1.5 DSG I will be returning.

I would have opted for an eco-friendly Tesla Model 3 if the Governments VED policy didn't tax >£40K (incl electric) cars unfairly. Full-EV's should be exempted from the >£40k surcharge, plus VAT-rate should be reduced to encourage EV sales, I guess the Government doesn't want to lose carbon fuel duty revenues too-quickly.

• Like 2

I seen my first and only Cupra Ateca a few weeks back and it did look rather nice.  Obviously not your standard Ateca, a bit more meaner looking but still a bit stealthy.  The bronze badges and accents do look very nice indeed, the pics don't do it justice IMHO.  

• 2 months later...
On 19/09/2019 at 15:44, Orville said:

Just ordered a red one😀.

It was a toss-up between Rodium Grey  and Velvet Red metallic. Red won, solely-because I have not owned a red car for more 20-years, but have owned multiple shades of grey during same period.

I asked about any spec changes between 2019 & 2020 MY's, and only real-difference is that 2020 cars get the 9.2" glass-fronted infotainment system as-standard. Went for a factory-order to ensure 2020 MY, plus December'ish delivery fits with my Karoq's lease-expiry.

Nice, post some pics when it arrives :)

Are you getting standard, comfort and sound or C+S +Style pack ?

I fancied the blue with pan roof, but the only new one available in the system didn't have a pan roof or a good price/trade in and I wasn't wanting to wait 4 months for a build and lose 2-2.5k on my trade in.

So MY20 rhodium grey C+S without pan roof it was, still looks nice imo, and does help make it more of a sleeper which I like.

Only had mine for a week, but loving it so far 😁

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@shyVRS245

Let us know how you do when you line up next to one. 

Be sure the driver is thinking the same as you and up for the traffic light Grand Pric-ks, and not just driving somewhere...

Must be at least 200kg heavier than my 1,370kg Octy and has 10PS more oh and 77NM less torque. Will it hit 177mph or is it limited to 155mph. Yes it will beat me to 60mph but then it's ADIOS AMIGO ATECA.:blush

2 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Nice, post some pics when it arrives :)

Are you getting standard, comfort and sound or C+S +Style pack ?

I fancied the blue with pan roof, but the only new one available in the system didn't have a pan roof or a good price/trade in and I wasn't wanting to wait 4 months for a build and lose 2-2.5k on my trade in.

So MY20 rhodium grey C+S without pan roof it was, still looks nice imo, and does help make it more of a sleeper which I like.

Only had mine for a week, but loving it so far 😁

Mine will be bog-standard apart from the spare-wheel option. I am leasing it and wanted to keep costs as close to £300pm as possible on a 6+35 month deal.

Build-week is 48 (this-week), and it should be with me shortly before or after Christmas. I am yet to drive one, and haven't seen one on the roads either, but I know how Golf R's and S3's feel so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Dealer is investigating whether the ABT-tune can be officially added to a lease-car. 350bhp with full-warranty would be very nice.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

[EDIT] I answered under TLDR rules and didn't see you've bought one.

30-40k would put you in the bracket for a Mini Clubman JCW with 4x4 and 300ps.

We've been through the hoops looking for an SUV type car to replace two small minis (one a two seater). We've looked at the majority of cars out there and the Clubman was the most interesting. My SO is very into design and hates the current trend of frankly dull interiors (the exception  being Citroen's DS brand but I'm not having a French car again ever).

If you want something a bit more posh the BMW X2 is quite nice and they have their own JCW version in the X3 M35. But the X2 would definitely be over 40k putting you in the extra VED group, you can sneak JCW in under if its not too loaded with extras.

Edited by Aspman

48 minutes ago, Aspman said:

[EDIT] I answered under TLDR rules and didn't see you've bought one.

30-40k would put you in the bracket for a Mini Clubman JCW with 4x4 and 300ps.

We've been through the hoops looking for an SUV type car to replace two small minis (one a two seater). We've looked at the majority of cars out there and the Clubman was the most interesting. My SO is very into design and hates the current trend of frankly dull interiors (the exception  being Citroen's DS brand but I'm not having a French car again ever).

If you want something a bit more posh the BMW X2 is quite nice and they have their own JCW version in the X3 M35. But the X2 would definitely be over 40k putting you in the extra VED group, you can sneak JCW in under if its not too loaded with extras.

Does the Mini have a small tank size hence small range? Cupra Ateca either has 50 or 55 litre tank size but probably averages 30mpg hence maximum 360 mile range.:whew:

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Does the Mini have a small tank size hence small range? Cupra Ateca either has 50 or 55 litre tank size but probably averages 30mpg hence maximum 360 mile range.:whew:

There is an option for a larger tank. TBH we're used to the small tank range on them anyway even the Clubman I have which get 42mpg needs filled up often.

The JCW we've bought was loaded with extras and it has the extra capacity tank although I've no idea what that increase is.

[Edit] I've found a post that says the normal tank is 51l making the extended one 61l.

• Thanks 1

The Clubman's interior-space wouldn't work for me. I'm 6ft5 with two teenagers (each over 6ft), and a dog who likes to lay down whilst being chauffeured around in the boot. The Ateca/Karoq only just-about provides enough space.