dreaded wet footwells!

hi all,

i opened my car today (octavia mk1 estate 2001) and the passenger and rear passenger footwell had sitting water in them!! water has got in for a little while but wasn't so bad, so i've been putting it off but being parked on the flat really seems to have excerbated it! (and spread it into the back) 

in the past i've had the same problem, and, following advice on this forum and others, cleared out the drain holes under the scuttle and the dirt behind the wheel arches, then used silicone caulk to bridge the gap where the scuttle doesn't seal into its channel along a few inches

i'll be doing all this again tomorrow (and sloshing it out with a bucket), if anyone has any handy suggestions to stop this happening again / clean it up and dry it, please let me at em!

• Like 1

Hard to say really, the carpets on the vertical sills just below the door aren't wet though, and I've never had that side's card off (someone else might have before me though, who knows) 

Driver's side I've had off, and that seeps a little bit of water onto the door sill, but not enough that it wets the carpet anywhere. Easy enough to wipe up 

Hi all, long time since I posted here - but having I believe the same problem as "hebden will".

Mine is a 2003 Octavia Elegance 1.8T Auto on 72000 miles, which I have now had for the past ten years and totally love the car! 

Never had a problem with water ingress though until the rains started in earnest around 3 Weeks ago. Driving the car to work and applied the brakes

then a rush of water from under the front passenger seat over the lip and into the passenger footwell - then back again when I pulled away.

On arrival at work I checked the passenger side when parked and found one and a half to two inches of water on the floor under the passenger seat.

I have been placing and replacing thick Beach Towels under that area since, each one ten times heavier with water when taking it out. There is no obvious sign of entry anywhere,

but I dread taking it to my local dealer to fix because I know it will cost me an arm and leg to even identify the source - let alone fix it. 

Any advice and suggestions would be most welcome because if  I were unable to solve the problem and had to part with it I would be devastated.

It would I think be almost impossible to find a replacement - even if I could afford one now. The car has everything you could need with the auto box, climate control, cruise control

and with the 150bhp available ample power speed and acceleration if required. HELP please!! 

Thank you  

If you take the plasic scuttle trim off and look to the right hand side of the pollen filter housing, right up the back is a small grommet. These tend to go hard and leak especially if the water is backing up a bit due to leaves obstructing the drainage channels. I took mine out cleaned it up and the metal around it and put it back with a nice coating of mastik round it and it seems to have done the trick (Fingers crossed)

I think the issue with mine might be that the scuttle doesn't seal into its groove properly so there's about a 2inch gap at the bottom of the windscreen where water can flow (to where, who knows, probably eventually into passenger's footwell). this seems to be because of what looks like a bit of rubber seal trapped in the scuttle's groove

i'll try and post some pictures tomorrow!

when the weekend comes i'll try getting the pass. side carpet up to sponge some of the water out and see if i can find any damaged connections / the CCM and sort out a few electrical niggles at the same time..probably wishful thinking

Edited by hebdenwill
used the wrong word

Thanks Peter, I will check that out this weekend (weather permitting) and see what I can find.

My apologies for not acknowledging your reply sooner, took my wife out for our anniversary last evening and we got in somewhat the worse for wear around midnight. Then up and out first thing today  for a trip to the south coast for a funeral, only just got back!

Feeble I know - but true!   :nod: