Bonnet Protector

My son turned up in his Renault Koleos and I noticed what I considered to be a "bow wave spoiler"

I have just found out it is known as a Bonnet Bra!

Do Skoda do a similar item for its cars? it would certainly stop a lot of stone chips1866299363_RenaultKoleosBonnetprotector.jpg.55a30df1bff4367b7e51ee2808e95aca.jpg

Edited by gumdrop

I have heard from some people bonnet bras do more bad than good. If you get muck in between the bra and bonnet it will create lots of scratches.  I also IMHO think they are fugly.  Clear protective film are the way to go. It's clear so you can't see it and it's sticky (like a wrap) so it won't move.

In saying that, the above looks like it's made from hard plastic and is mounted proud of the bonnet so may do a better job than normal flexible ones.

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 2

I've considered these, but anything like that mounted on the bonnet will be a paint abrasion risk.

I did think about protective wrapping/film on mine, but all the stone chips I've taken so far have come at the car from oncoming traffic, on a 2 o'clock vector. They landed in regions no current protective product covers (like high on the door; one even klonked the door handle).

Edited by ettlz

They do work well, depending on the car. They usually sit off the bonnet with fittings that are underneath the bonnet so they don’t mark the paintwork. On some cars they can make a big difference to the airflow and they do protect the bonnet from bugs and stones on country roads. On some cars they can change the airflow so that instead of bugs and small stone being directed into the windscreen, they get pushed higher and over the windscreen. 

I do agree that they look ugly and they are a pain when washing the car. It’s just about impossible to clean under them. Or dry properly without constant drips running out of them after washing.

The pic in the OP to me isn’t a bonnet bra; they are ‘leather’ covers or sleeves that fit over the bonnet and as mentioned above are know to cause as much harm as good. 

What the OP has asked about seems to be a hard plastic bonnet guard (which Google seems to verify). 

Not sure I really see the point. There is still a substantial area of the front of the car exposed.  Each to their own I guess.