Vrs estate

jimmy88

Started looking for a new car to replace my insignia and dont need a car as big but like the idea of the fabia vrs estate I know about the oil consumption on the early ones so I am looking for a 62/13 plate is there anything else to look out for and wouldn't mind seeing pics of peoples estates 

Cheers 

Welcome.

Positives. 

Lots of smiles per miles.  More good ones than bad, and ones that were bad can have been fixed.

Problem / warning, buyer beware,

Some of the bad ones keep going around the motor trade and it is the same cars we keep hearing about giving the latest owner the problems 

someone got shot of the car because of.

Negatives. 

Oil use is with bad engines and many early ones might have been dealt with, rebuilt, replaced, replaced again, had oil spray jets upgraded etc.

Some 62/13 Plates still had issues even after CTHE engines were fitted, oil issues, some engines were still needing replaced.

They then have the possibility of the Timing Chain Issue.

DSG Service Camaign on early ones, '34F7',  then on 2013-2014/15 ones. '34h5'  a software update.

Missed on late 2012 ones though, no Software update, and these can have issues.

Some nice estates with mods in the Fabia Project section.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jimmy88 said:

Started looking for a new car to replace my insignia and dont need a car as big but like the idea of the fabia vrs estate I know about the oil consumption on the early ones so I am looking for a 62/13 plate is there anything else to look out for and wouldn't mind seeing pics of peoples estates 

Cheers 

As @Roottootemoot said, a lot of the cars that have problems keep popping up, so as you may have seen on the forum, a good idea may be to search for the number plate, as there is a chance that another member owned it and got shot of it, and getting a bit of background on the car would be useful. 

As said above, Mot history checks etc......The price of the MK2 FABIA VRS is almost laughable, I've seen 2012 models got for under 3.5k privately. The estate/combi suits me as its the best of both worlds, Only downside in my opinion  is the handling although that can be somewhat sorted but a new anti roll bar and lowering springs.

Don't expect a comfy ride as even standard they're pretty harsh, here's mine albeit a bit modded and mid life crisis.......

AC894902-B9B1-4B40-B570-77B4F82F93C2.thumb.jpeg.af5bfd39e24c8e0e05df9a4ed5bf451c.jpeg

ACCB2690-38A6-43D7-B2F8-92BC7A12C0A9.thumb.jpeg.2a04ef0cbb2a0cd6a072078f3964ada0.jpeg

FE05E9E6-142A-46C1-A359-BF398FC110D2.thumb.jpeg.2269896806bb420bc27bb4ba6efc88fd.jpeg

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 3

Mickmartin that is lovely looking I wanted a Octavia vrs but to be honest dont fancy the hike in insurance and tax and fuel so the fabia seems to give the best of both worlds 

Can a towbar be fitted to the vrs aswell 

22 minutes ago, jimmy88 said:

Oh bugger that could be an issue as I need a towbar 🤦‍♂️

What is the main appeal of the vRS for you? For example, would you be willing to sacrifice some performance for a 1.2TSI 105 manual? You can have this in the estate in the Monte Carlo trim which has some of the design flourishes and interior changes of the VRS, it still  has surprisingly good performance, and I believe it has a towing capacity of 1200kg (you may need to check this though). Either way, as it has published figures, it can tow legally. 

Edited by CS45
Mistake

3 minutes ago, jimmy88 said:

The performance is what made me want the vrs 

The mrs will just have to get used to my having a cheap diesel daily or may keep my insignia till it dies just to cart the kids round in 

How about a 1.8tsi DSG Octavia? As it’s not the VRS, it will be cheaper to insure, and the performance is good with 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, (only 1/2 a second more than a Fabia VRS)

• Sponsor
2 hours ago, jimmy88 said:

Mickmartin that is lovely looking I wanted a Octavia vrs but to be honest dont fancy the hike in insurance and tax and fuel so the fabia seems to give the best of both worlds 

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimmy88 said:

Unfortunately as said above the answer is no to the tow bar, I seen the hatchback version just outside Hexham the other day with a small trailer on tow bar fitted and had to look twice. In theory it would work without issues however I wouldn't risk putting any unnecessary on the DSG box than needed.

17 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

What's your take on this, Would you void the insurance?

• Like 1

VW, SEAT, AUDI submitted weights for the sister cars with 1.4 TSI 180 ps & DSG's, 

they can have a towbar.

The Mk1 Fabia vRS could not legally get a tow bar,

and then Skoda put Ballast weights on the MK2 hatch to make the 9 3/4" shorter car weigh in heavier than the longer Estate and heavier Polo & Ibiza Twinchargers.

Higher VED as well than it should have had.  The Ibiza had its VED brough down the same as the Polo & A1 195ps when Seat fitted the CTHE.

Edited by Roottootemoot

So the ibiza estate could have a towbar but the 1.4tsi in that is 150bhp and do they do it in dsg I still prefer the look of the vrs and it would only ever tow a small camping trailer now and again 🤔🤔 lots to think about lol

Do you mean the Ibiza FR ST (estate) 1.4TSI DSG 150ps ?  No idea about towbars with them.

I like them as a hatch, never seen an estate, 

An engine without issues and i tried one in 2012 when SEAT had stopped doing the Cupra and before the CTHE 180ps got fitted.

I swear they were trying out parts / software because it was as quick as a 180ps CAVE engine car.

Leon 1.8TSI 180ps FR's are crackers as an estate, 

or a Golf Estate 1.4TSI.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jimmy88 said:

Stupid question can a dump valve be added to them 

See my build thread there’s a video of mine on there, I’ll try not to be bias as I like mine.

As for useless and pointless....Technically it is like many other mods are and I’m sure he meant he doesn't like them,Its purely aesthetic and you either like the sound or you don’t as It doesn’t hinder or improve performance as I’ve found.

When I eventually go stage 2 that’ll be the determining factor to whether the it has to go or not as I’ve had to upgrade the spring in mine already.

I get people don’t like them they are so 2000’s, Chavvy etc etc  however I’ve not went down that route of a quiet subtle car lol. 

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Haha 1

Still enjoy this daft thing, but expecting it to throw its toys out the pram, 900 miles on replacement turbo all good, was going to put some sticky tyres on to stop the scrabble but thought I'd prob break gearbox so left well alone

DSC_3014.JPG

57 minutes ago, Pirate76 said:

Still enjoy this daft thing, but expecting it to throw its toys out the pram, 900 miles on replacement turbo all good, was going to put some sticky tyres on to stop the scrabble but thought I'd prob break gearbox so left well alone

DSC_3014.JPG

Hold your breath for me, I’m booked in for  stage 2 soon....