Anyone retro fitted heated steering wheel

A couple of questions firstly as per the title has anyone retro fitted the heated steering wheel wheel to a MY16, if so do they have a guide and a list of part numbers that are required? I had this on my previous car and on cold mornings it’s something that I miss.
Obviously it will require a heated wheel, which ones are compatible, and would it require a different slip ring? Plus are there any other parts required? 
I know that it will require coding, and works when the heated seats are switched on, I’ve seen pics of heated seats appearing on the display when they are activated, but this doesn’t happen on mine. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this doesn’t show? 

thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

I'm doing this currently, the heated wheel version I got is the leather flat bottom sport type also has DSG paddles and the view button, which I need for my virtual cockpit retrofit.

I used steering wheel part 3v0 419 091 AF BGW (bgw means white stitching)

The original airbag fitted this wheel fine.

I have bought a clock spring 5q0 953569B (version c now supercedes b, so c should be fine also) which has the connector for heated wheel (see connector 'd' in diagram below)

The primary connector on the new heated version clockspring uses a 14pin connector (5q0 972 726) where the non-heated used a 16 pin connector.

I've managed to review all the pinouts from wiring diagrams, see my translation table below - however I have a problem in that my original 16 pin connector seems to have 2x wires that I don't see described in the wiring diagrams. black/white in pin 5 and blue in pin 11. I'll need to figure out what they're for before I can complete the fitting.

If anyone has a pre-nov 2016 version of the multifunction steering wheel document, please share!

heatedwheeltranslation.JPG

heatedwheelpinouts.JPG

IMG_20210601_125314.jpg

IMG_20210601_125306.jpg

multifunction steering wheel nov 2016 onward.pdf Heated Steering Wheel Current Flow Diagram.pdf multifunction steering wheel may-nov 2016.pdf

just to confirm I've identified and correctly placed the final 2x missing wires, the black/white currently in t16a pin 5 goes to pin 7 on the new 14pin connector, and the blue/purple which is originally on t16a pin 11 goes to pin 14 on the new 14pin connector (for automatic/dsg to sense if the lever is in 'Park')

all that's left to complete the heated wheel retrofit now is to run 1mm red/black cable for live  from t14 pin 1 to 10a fuse number 4 on holder c, and follow the brown white earth from pin 4 on t14g to find where it turns from 0.5mm into brown and black 1.0mm cable - this is where I should join my new 1.0mm brown and white earth from t14 pin 8

Then I test whether the existing climatronic module activates the heated wheel by turning on drivers' heated seat, or whether you actually need the version of climatronic control that has a picture of a steering wheel next to the drivers seat on drivers heated seat button

Edited by AlVal
  • Like 1

All non-heating functions work OK but the car complains that I haven't put it into park, so that blue/purple wire isn't quite right, or maybe the steering control module needs to be flashed with skoda superb software or something. The gear indicator on dash knows its gone to p, but this part of the system doesn't

I can confirm the park issue was just long coding For the module, my wiring was correct, Coding sorted it. Now just the heated wiring to run

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Is this sorted? I just finished installing the heated steering wheel and I got the same issue as you with the ACC:

- the ACC stalk inputs are read when tested but whichever way I push them the dash reads ACC error and does nothing. Amber acc light is on also.

Since the ACC module only seems to throw a databus error and no real useful info, I can only suspect an incompatibility between the clock spring and the stalks... Did you solve this via wiring?