Tail gate adjustment

nez1971

Hi, has anyone had experience of adusting the position of their tailgate. I noticed a small rust spot along the corner of my tailgate, and although it sits ok, at the point of impact when its shut it grazes the bummer. So it needs a tiny adjustment and i see there is adjusment on the hinge if the nuts are loosened. Looks straightfoward enough, but maybe i'm wrong. If anyone has had to do this would be good to know how you got on, thanks

Not adjusted tailgates but have bonnet. Bit hit and miss so take care. its all about alignment so take time, move slightly and start of with a pecil/felt pen mark around the original placement so you can see any difference and re-set if needed. Be careful shutting it afterward so as not to clump something. Common sense, really!

Do you have a Haynes manual? I am unsure as to if they offer up removal/refitting instructions but if they do, its worth the £20 investment. 

Oh, also, you might find rubber bump-stop type, threaded plugs along the inner edge of the tailgate opening. You might be able to dial out a little adjustment on these. They may just need raising a little, to prevent the tailgate closing too much etc. Worth a look.

Edited by mrgf

i don't know what the techinical name is for them but only just realised there are two of those rubber butt type things just above the rear lights attached to  the inside of the tail gate. One side  is extended out quite far, however the one on the side of the tailgate with the  issue is considerable less extended, so less cushion on that side when its shut, so first job is to extend that so its the same as the other side....trouble is can't figure out how its done

31 minutes ago, nez1971 said:

i don't know what the techinical name is for them but only just realised there are two of those rubber butt type things just above the rear lights attached to  the inside of the tail gate. One side  is extended out quite far, however the one on the side of the tailgate with the  issue is considerable less extended, so less cushion on that side when its shut, so first job is to extend that so its the same as the other side....trouble is can't figure out how its done

You just have to twist it like a screw

Sorry must got confused with the ones one the bonnet that do twist, Could of swore they twisted, anyway I think my issue with the rubbing can’t be fixed with theses stops, as I have a different gap from the boot to the taillights maybe from a previous crash 

On 04/11/2019 at 17:41, UrbanPanzer said:

Its more likely the bumper has been knocked and moved than the tailgate is out of adjustment.

Had this on my estate after the body shop replaced the bumper after a shunt. 100% more likely to be the plastics at fault.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So got this problem sorted with a somewhat easy fix in the end.  Thought id share as i see other users have had similar problems. There is an allen key screw in the centre of the plastic bit. Once that is unscrewed it comes away from the bootlid and it can then be adjusted.