New Octavia 2020 vRS?

uno234

On 15/10/2020 at 09:23, TonyTonic said:

Well, I've seen a few reviews online that show it, whether it's really true I don't know.

I don't know if this clears it up or not, from the press release

"Hybrid mode also offers the option of charging the battery via recuperation or the engine whilst the car is moving. If the box marked ‘Auto’ in the central display is left unticked, the driver can set their own desired battery level. If the current charge is below the specified amount, the vehicle tops up the battery using the petrol engine and brake energy recovery until the desired mark is reached. If the current charge is higher than specified, the energy is used until the desired level is met, and this is then maintained. If ‘Auto’ is selected, the charging system operates completely autonomously. This means the control unit decides based on the current driving situation when to draw power from the battery and when to recharge it using recovered energy."

2 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

wow, bit pricey

Agree, bit surprised really. Thought it'd be a bit closer to price of the petrol vRS than it is. It'd take me quite a while to recoup the extra outlay from savings at the pump. 

1 minute ago, Czechers said:

I don't know if this clears it up or not, from the press release

"Hybrid mode also offers the option of charging the battery via recuperation or the engine whilst the car is moving. If the box marked ‘Auto’ in the central display is left unticked, the driver can set their own desired battery level. If the current charge is below the specified amount, the vehicle tops up the battery using the petrol engine and brake energy recovery until the desired mark is reached. If the current charge is higher than specified, the energy is used until the desired level is met, and this is then maintained. If ‘Auto’ is selected, the charging system operates completely autonomously. This means the control unit decides based on the current driving situation when to draw power from the battery and when to recharge it using recovered energy."

Yes, I know how it works as have read up on it. This is if you drive normally but if you push it hard (for example a long drive on holiday on the german autobahn doing 160-180) it won't have a chance to recharge.

1 minute ago, Czechers said:

Agree, bit surprised really. Thought it'd be a bit closer to price of the petrol vRS than it is. It'd take me quite a while to recoup the extra outlay from savings at the pump. 

Rather have a Superb at that price.

3 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

Yes, I know how it works as have read up on it. This is if you drive normally but if you push it hard (for example a long drive on holiday on the german autobahn doing 160-180) it won't have a chance to recharge.

Well yes, but for the majority of journeys it seems perfectly feasible. 

• Thanks 1

My August 2017 Vrs245 when tested on a rolling road using 99 octane petrol actually produced 400nm and not the 370nm Skoda claimed at the time. The new hybrid is just over 1,700kg with raised suspension and has a top speed of 139mph for £35,000 for the hatch. My 2017 weighed 1,370kg and cost £27,595 and was very well specified as standard. It would also do an indicated 160mph as standard, 168mph at stage 1 and 177mph at stage 2. Better to spend £35,000 on a Superb IMHO.

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Better to spend £35,000 on a Superb IMHO.

agreed, up to a point, remember the Octavia has newer tech and is probably a better car. Imagine how much the next Superb will cost , EDIT: if they even make one

Edited by TonyTonic
  • Like 1

The Nm Torque and PS is the minimum you should gets and that you are paying for in the worst of conditions.

So in the UK you will not be more than 3,000 ft above sea level, not in air temps above 40*oc or lower than -30*oC, and the 95 octane fuel minimum will be 95 octane minimum 

so there is going to be better power produced than the figure that the car should achieve in adverse conditions.

1 minute ago, TonyTonic said:

agreed, up to a point, remember the Octavia has newer tech and is probably a better car. Imagine how much the next Superb will cost 

Exactly this. If you don't need a hybrid then you can save £3k by buying a petrol Octavia vRS. For anyone that wants a hybrid then the Superb has less power than the Octavia and is still £35k even with a discount. 

The hybrid is 2.2 seconds quicker than the petrol from 50-70mph according to the press release. That seems massive in a real world scenario and impressive given the weight penalty. Wonder what the 30-70 difference is?

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

The hybrid is 2.2 seconds quicker than the petrol from 50-70mph according to the press release. That seems massive in a real world scenario and impressive given the weight penalty. Wonder what the 30-70 difference is?

My Superb 272 went from 50-70mph in 2.3 seconds with a £450 remap and cost just under £24,000 at 9 months old.

• Groan 1

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My Superb 272 went from 50-70mph in 2.3 seconds with a £450 remap and cost just under £24,000 at 9 months old.

That's great and all, not really sure how it relates to my post about a hybrid Octavia though ;)

• Like 3

Just now, ahenners said:

That's great and all, not really sure how it relates to my post about a hybrid Octavia though ;)

Demonstrates how slow the 245 is if the hybrid is 2.2 seconds faster between 50-70mph. Having read the same press malarky they don't state what gear both cars were in either? They have to justify the high price after all.

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Demonstrates how slow the 245 is if the hybrid is 2.2 seconds faster between 50-70mph. Having read the same press malarky they don't state what gear both cars were in either? They have to justify the high price after all.

Could you not have just said that first time round instead of talking about a completely unrelated car :D

26 minutes ago, ahenners said:

A stage 1 mapped 245 2.0 TSI will make 480Nm and theoretically out -accelerate  the hybrid. 

• Like 1

Whether buying or leasing the last thing i'd be doing is risking my warranty on a new £30k+ car by mapping it. If others want to do that, fair enough but it's definitely something people should be doing without thinking about it first. 

13 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

What has any of that to do with someone leasing a car so not buying so not modding as they do not own it and just wanting the savings that they will get from HMRC with a car for using for work?

A lot of people on this forum drive cars on PCP or PCH and either map them or stick a DTUK box on trying to hide this from VWFS or their insurers. Who cares? It’s just a comment.  

• Groan 1

What i know for a fact is a lot of people claim to have remapped lease cars as nobody will actually know if they have or not they just have their word on it and if their rented car is some speed machine  and they are just trying to be big and smart.

Car is as they got it and goes back as they got it.

Briskoda has various driving gods who post how they have blown off some sports car or fast car that the driver probably never knew they were in a race.

Funny how they never say the left another Skoda in their dust, maybe because that driver might be on here and post that they never knew they were being challenged and they were just driving someplace.

Edited by e-Roottoot