Karoq Petrol Engines

croquemonsieur

My 1.0TSI DSG SE Tech must be a MY19 production - bought new 3+months ago and has a 10th character K in the VIN number.  Going by some of the messages here, am I correct in believing that this has a GPF exhaust particle filter?  Does anyone know what it looks like please - can you see it by opening the bonnet?

There was some interesting discussion about this a year ago along with WLTP testing causing production problems and there were suggestions that maybe in smaller engines GPFs have some adverse effect on fuel economy - not so much mention recently about these matters, not that I've read all the messages -- yet.

My Karoq is pretty economical anyway, typically indicating 50mpg on 150mile trips to Bristol, travelling at motorway speed limits (occasionally a bit more).  Going by the mileage at fuel refills this seems to be only a lttle flattering - my Yeti seemed much more optimistic.  The Karoq usually does a little bit better on the return journey to Epping Forest, at just a bit over 50mpg.  There are significant uphill bits on the outward journey, when the engine is cold, including early stages on the M25, whereas the Bristol return is level or downhill for the 1st 20+ minutes.

Mind you 50mpg doesn't seem significantly better than some figures being noted here for the 1.5 TSI (or is it a 0.75 TSI for much of the time), but that is a more sophisticated engine.

11 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

Mind you 50mpg doesn't seem significantly better than some figures being noted here for the 1.5 TSI (or is it a 0.75 TSI for much of the time), but that is a more sophisticated engine.

Ha ha.    I've found using half an engine makes little difference to fuel consumption. I'd be more than happy with those figures.

I'd have ordered a 1.0 DSG if I could but it's been dropped.  Only offering auto in certain trims seems par for the course now, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Yes, Scot5,  I'm more than pleased with my 1.0 DSG Edition, last one imported I was told so snap decision to buy.  I was going to wait 2 more years, but was lucky to have had the opportunity to buy this one.  I did consider order and wait for the 1.5 - £1500 more I think, but then I'd have been very tempted to include more goodies like lane assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive dampers and varioflex seats, adding substantially to costs - next car maybe, but I intend that to be in 8years time.

I should add that my quoted consumption figures include a fair stretch of the M4 being currently upgraded to Smart Motorway status and so speed limited to 50mph - this will be improving consumption significantly at the moment on that Bristol journey.  Overall indicated long term after 3,000miles is 43mpg - I hope that will improve a little over time.  Some 1.5 owners have talked about 45mpg overall, but could be less hilly roads than I use maybe.  What consumption do you get in the 1.5 out of interest on motorways and overall?

7 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

The 1.5TSi manual Karoq can be very economical too. Now done 20,800 miles.

Do you use your foot on the accelerator, or do you just tickle it with a feather? 😊

From my 1.5, I can manage about 50 mpg on a long run, but short runs in the winter are bringing that down to about 30mpg.

You can see that was in the summer with an ambient temp of 22C but averages about 45mpg in the winter. Try and activate the ACT by accelerating uphill and lifting off going downhill which is quite effective. Same with approaching the 14 roundabouts on my 27 mile commute try and lift off the gas pedal 300m before the roundabout and keep off the brakes as much as possible.;)

1 hour ago, croquemonsieur said:

What consumption do you get in the 1.5 out of interest on motorways and overall?

I'll tell you when it gets delivered. To be honest I'm not going to be the main driver and the car will be used almost exclusively on short journeys around town so not expecting much. The 1.4tsi with cylinder deactivation returns around 39 in manual guise. Have heard so much about the DSG - poorer figures, better figures, reliability... I'm just crossing my fingers for the best. One common thing I read about is a hesitation when setting of from say a roundabout. Had a drive of one earlier this week and I suppose if you were trying to drive it like a Ferrari then it's a tad more lethargic than the manual in 1st and 2nd gear but for ordinary 'old-man with a hat' driver like myself...  damned if I could detect any hesitation.

Regarding your comment re: Edition - apart from the adaptive dampers, those goodies you speak of are now standard. I noted Blind assist has now moved from on the door mirror to the mirror housing - all VAG's seem to have adopted this style now. It's probably a better location to be seen but the mirror housing more likely to be damaged than the glass so potential high repair bill.

Jeez Oh, those are impressive fuel returns from everyone with 1.5 engines 😲  There isn't some Fred Flintstone type device where the floor opens up and you use feet power? If this car returns anymore than 40 around town, happy days. If it returns 30mpg in Winter then my next holiday will be to Dignitas.

Edited by Guest

I drive my 1.5 DSG with an eye on economy keeping to all speed limits, lifting off, avoiding use of brakes etc etc. 

I’m lucky to get 40 mpg

Did a 37 mile mainly motorway trip today. 35 there, 37 back. Sunday another mainly motorway trip 38 there 39 back. ACC set to 70 mph. 

The maxidot is fairly true to my brim to brim figures whereas my Yeti was about 10% optimistic. 

I drive in in normal mode ... rarely using eco or sport. 

• Like 1

I am a bit keen on mpg after having a wonderful Octi diesel since they first arrived in the UK all those years ago. The last one I got easily 60mpg.

But with the new Karoq I was hoping for 50mpg and that average is not possible (with DSG 1.5) and during the summer I averaged 47.

I have had a few trips slightly over 50mpg. The last two days with the ECU update I did a 100+ motorway trip and return X country via Cotswold. There I was going to hit 50mpg but hit the torrential rain and by end of journey it had dropped to 43mpg.

The return journey with more hills and stop start, A roads managed 42 mpg.

The car seems smoother with engine update, too early yet as not been able to test usual local runs, should have better idea next week.

BTW my motorway style (sorry for repeating this) is 65mph cruise mainly in left lane with some occasional boost to 70+ when overtaking lorries.

11 hours ago, Scot5 said:

I'll tell you when it gets delivered. To be honest I'm not going to be the main driver and the car will be used almost exclusively on short journeys around town so not expecting much. The 1.4tsi with cylinder deactivation returns around 39 in manual guise. Have heard so much about the DSG - poorer figures, better figures, reliability... I'm just crossing my fingers for the best. One common thing I read about is a hesitation when setting of from say a roundabout. Had a drive of one earlier this week and I suppose if you were trying to drive it like a Ferrari then it's a tad more lethargic than the manual in 1st and 2nd gear but for ordinary 'old-man with a hat' driver like myself...  damned if I could detect any hesitation.

Regarding your comment re: Edition - apart from the adaptive dampers, those goodies you speak of are now standard. I noted Blind assist has now moved from on the door mirror to the mirror housing - all VAG's seem to have adopted this style now. It's probably a better location to be seen but the mirror housing more likely to be damaged than the glass so potential high repair bill.

Jeez Oh, those are impressive fuel returns from everyone with 1.5 engines 😲  There isn't some Fred Flintstone type device where the floor opens up and you use feet power? If this car returns anymore than 40 around town, happy days. If it returns 30mpg in Winter then my next holiday will be to Dignitas.

Yesterday we got caught up in Leicester rush hour traffic after visiting my parents and with clogged roads and short traffic light sequences it took us 43 minutes to travel 4 miles at an average speed of about 7mph and onboard 24.7mpg readout, which is the worst I've ever seen barring doing a track day.:thumbdown:

This frosty morning the temp was 0.5 degree C and the initial idle speed on startup was back to 1250 rpm for around 20 seconds before dropping to 1000 rpm then 750ish rpm anyway headed off to the local pharmacy and other emporiums a trip of 21 miles in an air temp of 4.0 deg C, drove like a saint and the reported fuel consumption was 47.4 mpg.

On the return trip home I drove like a sinner, by then the air temp had risen to 5.5 deg C, and naturally more fuel was consumed with a reported figure of 40.2mpg.

Since the last 24EU recall update I've never got near to 50 mpg but then again it has been very cold up here for the last few weeks.

Hi Scot5, apologies, I clearly didn't fully absorb your initial message, the fact that your car is still on order.  Regarding the Edition model, I particularly wanted a Karoq with the smallest wheels/highest profile tyres possible i.e. 17".  I'd tried both 19" and 18" as well as 17" and decided the smaller wheels, the better it is for me.  Obviously short test drives took me over a limited range of roads & there's the showroom tyre inflation issue, I wasn't aware of then.  At the time, ride generally suit me better, the smaller the wheels got - I think this is still likely to be so.

Although my Karoq rides very well in many ways, better than most current 'affordable' cars in my limited experience, I find even the 17" wheels are a little nobbly and thumpy over small ridges and bumps.  I emphasize the little, but I am maybe overly fussy when it comes to low speed ride.  For instance my 90+ yr old Aunt really liked my Yeti's ride - she told me she likes a car with a firm ride.  I found it too firm, even after a wheel/tyre change, which in itself was a significant improvement.  The Karoq is much better than even the reshod Yeti, but I hope to improve on it further, when time comes to tyre replacement, but that's another topic I'd prefer to return to another day.

The amount of kit in the Edition is appealing, but it probably comes with leather seats - I prefer cloth.  Both this & ride firmness issue I admit are my taste and others have different views.

Are you all quoting the fuel economy as displayed by the car?

In which case, take it with a pinch of salt.

The only way to accurately calculate fuel economy is manually, each and every tank.

Last 10 fill ups. 337 miles 32.49 litres

448 miles 43.49 litres

264 miles 24.00 litres

381 miles 38.00 litres

308 miles 20.00 litres

385 miles 45.52 litres

393 miles 43.01 litres

237 miles 27.08 litres

183 miles 20.08 litres

354 miles 35.43 litres               329.10 litres or 72.39 gallons 3,290 miles at an average of 45.45mpg.

you lot want to feel good about your MPGs i've got a SPORTLINE  2.0TSI with 465 miles on the clock the best i've seen is 25 MPG and that was in eco mode  😂 hopefully get 30/35 one day 🤣  

• Haha 1

My 1.5 DSG 4 x 4 used to give me mid to high 30s in the summer although due to recent roadworks in Bristol near my works and now resorting to housing estate rat runs I'm in the low 30s. 50% motorway but slow city traffic. Fuel economy has definitely taken a hit with the recent high winds and lower temperatures though I've yet to hit the 20s. The car is due for a service soon so I'll see if any SW update (if available for the 4 x 4 1.5 TSi is available) makes any difference.

Winter diesel and / or the lower temperatures can hit fuel economy too.

More electrical load (heating, heated seats / steering wheel / windscreen / mirrors / washer nozzles etc.).

Windier, increased resistance from standing water etc. etc.

As I have stated on other posts, the best I have seen on a run is 47mpg. With my commute being 9 miles each way and short trips I get between 31 and 36 mpg. Not unusual to see low 20's on trips though.  So, when I hand it back next July it will be heavy oil for me I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong I like the engine and gearbox combination but I used to average 44 mpg in my Superb 2.0 diesel/DSG before this one.

From the messages here, it does seem that manuals are more economical than DSGs - to be expected I suppose and so 50mpg on a long run for my 1.0DSG is respectable economy.  Admittedly a very small sample and so limited significance, the best figures come from 'skoda1982' - 1.0 manual & 'shyVRS245' - 1.5 manual.  2 further factors here, both cars appear to have done a substantial mileage and are so are well run in - that's why (so far I've just done 3,000mls) I hope my mpg figures will gradually improve a bit - my Yeti did after a year or so, but it also had an engine/gearbox software update to take into account too.

Also quoted figures here indicate that the 4x4 arrangement is a further drain on economy, but that is well known - that must be due to mechanical losses as I believe Audi, years ago, found that ignoring those losses, 4 wheel drive otherwise has actually less drag - not pulling the rear wheels along with you - roll on electric drive to get the real benefit here.

The two above manual cars are to older specification, without GPF presumably, whereas I'm pretty sure mine has this (anyone know where it is & what it looks like).  It's inclusion is said to increase fuel consumption a bit, but if I'm overall polluting the atmosphere a bit less, that's OK.

Again statistically insignificant and likely in different driving conditions, shyVRS245's latest published mpg figures are down a bit compared with pre-software update, but if it drives alot better, that's good too.  Anyhow pre or post upgrade shy's figures are very impressive for the 1.5.  I could begin to regret not going for a 1.5 DSG, but the 1.0 is still a very nice car and one reason I chose it, is it's a simpler engine, most features tested over time whereas some of the clever bits on the 1.5 are fairly new and bound to take a while to fully get over teething troubles.  Remember the USA F-111 strike fighter - gave much trouble at first, but final versions, became fine dependable planes, I believe.

• Like 1