Recommended roof rails

Hi

I'm in the market for some new roof bars for my estate as my old no-namers have bit the dust.

I've looked at Halfords and I like the look of the bog standard Thule bars but wondering if it's better to shell out a bit more for the aero bars?

I'm only going to be using them to carry bikes, they won't be left on all of the time, maybe 4x per month so not really bothered by wind noise if I got the square ones.

Are there any other brands out there that you'd recommend? My bike racks are Thule and have stood the test of nearly 16yrs of use so inclined to follow suit bar and footing wise. 

Thanks 🙂

I’ve used Thule aero bars for years for carrying both bikes and sea kayaks, but I tend to leave mine on all the time. I just change the foot packs when the car changes, but the cross bars have lasted for years, which in my opinion, tells of the quality.

If you only put yours on when you’re carrying the bikes, it’s probably not worth paying the extra for aero bars. Any extra wind noise or resistance won’t be noticeable above that created by the bikes.

The only bonus of going with Thule, is the longevity. I’ve got roof mounted bike carriers that must be close to 20 years old and still going strong.

9 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

I've used others but Thule, based on my experience, are hard to fault.

What's the actual price difference between square and aero / wing bars? 

£54; could probably narrow it down by using a different retailer I guess.

These Halfords Exodus are identical to the old Thule (Pre wingbar era) - This is what I brought when I needed larger ones.  Also T track compatible as thats how my Thule bike racks attach and Im using Thule footpack.

https://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/exodus-aero-bars-a127-pack-of-2

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2019 at 13:01, ScoutCJB said:

These Halfords Exodus are identical to the old Thule (Pre wingbar era) - This is what I brought when I needed larger ones.  Also T track compatible as thats how my Thule bike racks attach and Im using Thule footpack.

https://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/exodus-aero-bars-a127-pack-of-2

How's the wind noise, any idea how it compares to the wing bar?

I have thule aero bars on my estate all the time. T -track is great and i just whip off the bike racks when not needed after holidays etc. They are great and wind noise is really minimal. As others have said "hard to fault". Whispbar are another alternative. Check out the Roof Box Company for deals. 

Edited by paulski
Typo