Yellow oil light

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know why the oil level light (yellow jug) would be illuminated even after checking and topping up the oil.

Could it just be a sensor?

I've read another topic where you guys have said the MK1 fabia's in the UK don't have the yellow light but my Polo seems to have this. Any suggestions please?

Check that the bonnet switch wiring is intact first, I seem to remember that a bust wire there can cause this (might be mis-remembering though).

If that's OK, you'll have to get to the sensor connector (sensor in bottom of sump) and check for busted wires there.  You should get 12V between pins 1 and 2 with ignition on. Pin 3, the signal, goes via pin 12 of the 14-way connector near the nearside suspension turret, then into the cabin, ending up at cluster pin 4.

25 minutes ago, Wino said:

Check that the bonnet switch wiring is intact first, I seem to remember that a bust wire there can cause this (might be mis-remembering though).

If that's OK, you'll have to get to the sensor connector (sensor in bottom of sump) and check for busted wires there.  You should get 12V between pins 1 and 2 with ignition on. Pin 3, the signal, goes via pin 12 of the 14-way connector near the nearside suspension turret, then into the cabin, ending up at cluster pin 4.

Where would the bonnet switch wiring be Wino? Presumably under the bonnet somewhere

1 minute ago, Wino said:

There's a microswitch on the latch somewhere, with two wires coming off it to a connector nearby.

Look at the picky here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254187260655

Ohh yeah haha, feel stupid now. I'l have a look at that first before delving any deeper and report back. Thanks for the help

57 minutes ago, TMB said:

The sensor should look like this on the bottom of the sump Tom...

Untitled.png

Thanks @TMB and @Tech1e, I'l have a look at the bonnet catch in the morning and if its still illuminated, i'l get my mechanic to check the sensor under the sump when it goes in next week.

Cheers everybody 👍

Just an update. I ruled the bonnet catch out because the yellow light has now gone out. So it's possibly going to be the sensor underneath the sump that has a loose wire which I'll get my mechanic to check when it goes in next week.

Cheers Guys