running yer car in

hi ya.any ideas how long does it usally take to run ur furby in,had mine only 3weeks and done 700miles

was told ( can't remember who by :confused: )at least 15000 to 19000 miles, to feel any sort of benefit or change in engine.

:confused: confused ! damm right i am.

First 1000 miles below 3000 rpm

Then gradually increase the rpms for the next 1000 rpm.

After 2000 miles changed the oil and filter, because although these engines are supposed to be run in, there will be a lot of wear products due to it's tightness.

After that run it as normal, checking the oil weekly, as up to 10,000 miles it is prone to using some.

After 10,000 miles it doesn't use any.

hi ya.any ideas how long does it usally take to run ur furby in' date='had mine only 3weeks and done 700miles[/color']

was told ( can't remember who by :confused: )at least 15000 to 19000 miles, to feel any sort of benefit or change in engine.

still waiting for 12000 miles to come up in mine. better start taking it easy again.

the car is a july 04 plate

Scott

PS hope you meant 1500,1900

After 10,000 miles it doesn't use any.

Don't bet on it! Had a bit of a scare a few months back - thought I'd check just to be on the safe side before a long journey, and it had somehow used nearly a litre of oil in about 3000 miles. It was right at the level where the dipstick curves back towards the end! :eek:

Checked religiously when I was running it in, but obviously got lax about it as the miles clocked up. No great hardship in checking from time to time - every couple of weeks now for me! :o

First 1000 miles below 3000 rpm

Then gradually increase the rpms for the next 1000 rpm.

After 2000 miles changed the oil and filter' date=' because although these engines are supposed to be run in, there will be a lot of wear products due to it's tightness.

After that run it as normal, checking the oil weekly, as up to 10,000 miles it is prone to using some.

After 10,000 miles it doesn't use any.[/quote']

I didn't put any oil in between the 10,000 and 20,000 mile services, but it did go down somewhat on the dipstick...

Best way to run a car in I've found, is get a dodgy boost sensor, or just unplug it. Car goes in to limp mode and there's no chance of ragging it. Simply plug back in at 1500 miles for normal service. :D

(ps: tongue-in-cheek)

Don't bet on it! Had a bit of a scare a few months back - thought I'd check just to be on the safe side before a long journey, and it had somehow used nearly a litre of oil in about 3000 miles. It was right at the level where the dipstick curves back towards the end! :eek:

How many miles did you have on the clock at this point, as generally after 10,000 miles the oil useage is nil to minimal.

Likewise its worth checking the level a week after an oil service just in case the air in the new oil filter has given a false indication of full when it was topped up by the garage.

I drove mine like normal from day one.

These engines just get better and better with age. My mate has a 60k miler, and its sooo smooth and quite a bit quicker. :thumbup:

hi ya.any ideas how long does it usally take to run ur furby in' date='had mine only 3weeks and done 700miles[/color']

I went with the advice of the long life oil manufacturers. No more than 1/2 throttle for the first 100 miles. Then gradually worked up to full throttle over the next couple of hundred miles. I drive the car pretty hard all the time and although i've only done about 4.5k so far, the car seems to be loosening up a bit, it's got quieter and i haven't used a drop of oil yet either.

My mate has a 1.9PD TDi MkV Golf. He has 5k on it, drove it very gently for the first 1,000 miles and still never revs to anywhere near full throttle. He has put 1.5 litres of oil into his car so far.

I drove mine like normal from day one.

These engines just get better and better with age. My mate has a 60k miler' date=' and its sooo smooth and quite a bit quicker. :thumbup:[/quote']

drove mine as normal from day one too, up to 32k now, and never had to put a drop of oil in it! it did seem to be loosened up at a bout 10k , thats when it seemed to be 'bedded in' :thumbup:

Hi

Ran mine in at less than half throttle and very rarely over 3000rpm for 1000 miles then ramped it up over a couple of days to full throttle and revs. The engine used around 800ml of oil in its first 10,000 miles. On its second 10-20, it went down to about half way between the top mark and bottom mark on the stick. The engine seemed to loosen up a bit at around 15000 miles and I now get better top end and better fuel economy which seems to be continuing to improve.

Chris