Spare tyre still ok?

malcolmwoodyatt

6 minutes ago, malcolmwoodyatt said:

I have a 2014 Skoda Fabia 1.6 cr elegance, the spare tyre is now 5yrs old and has never seen the light of day, would this still be serviceable. I am changing the tyres on the car this month. Spare tyre is Bridgestone T005.

Should be ok for bit longer, but check for cracks which can happen 

if out of direct sunlight 8-10 years should be target for emergency tyre, but nearer 6 years limit for normal tyres

Also check it is still pumped up to appropriate pressure

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

As said above - check the pressure.

Otherwise - I know nobody who would change spare tyre because it's 5 years old. By the way, I had to take out spare tyre from my parent's car (year 2006 or 2007 car). The tyre looked really nice. No cracks or whatsoever.

• Confused 1

If the spare wheel and tyre came with the car from new then it is older than the car, & we are more than half way through 2020 so a while on since the OP,

but hopefully still good and maybe never going to be used because a puncture on the car.

Edited by Roottoot

My car (Mk 8 Fiesta) didn't come with a spare wheel and for some reason cars with pano roofs (like mine) didn't have the option to have one when new. I was able to have one from my brothers 2006 mk6 fiesta when his was scrapped. I was worried a 14 year old tyre might be too old, but can't see any cracks or problems with it. Pics of it attached below. I certainly prefer a spare than goo and compressor.

My spare in my Fabia was still perfectly OK after 15 years being the boot. I did use it a few times, so very glad it came with one. Again No cracks or any problems.

IMG_20200224_164906927.jpg

IMG_20200224_164943165.jpg

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1

I always have a spare wheel and tyre that is the same as on the car.

It then gets used / swapped so I don't end up with an old spare tyre.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1