Rear wiper will not stop

Hi, I had a service, 70,000 miles, 2 days ago. I didn't notice the fault immediately after collection, but later that day I noticed that the rear wiper would not turn off. It's on intermittent when driving but it can be switched to other speeds. Anyone got an idea of where the problem is? Thanks.

Hello Carbman, first (and probably silly) question - although just realised that this may not be relevant on Mk2 - are you sure the control stalk hasn't accidentally been pushed one stop forward (into the intermittent wiper position) during the service ?  

Hi Warrior, I've had the stalk in all the different positions and the wiper functions as normal but when I leave it in 'OFF' it just operates in intermittent mode. Thanks anyway.

Don't know about that particular trait but my car doesn't do it.

I went back to the garage today and the mechanic told me that the wiper was doing that when I took the car in on Wednesday. He tried to sort it but wasn't successful. His boss said that if some water has got into a relay that could cause it, or if a wire had broken in the rear door and was touching something it shouldn't, that could cause it. If I can't sort it he's given me the number of the auto electrician they use. Thanks for your help.

This used happen with mk1 octys too. Im sure the rear wiper in a mk2 isnt much different..

The water pipe for washing runs through the centre of the wiper motor. Over time the pipe corrodes, water escapes into the motor and causes shorts - be it the rear turning on or not at all or oyhrr stuff depending on how the car reacts.

Mine caused my front wipers to come on constant one day and they wouldnt stop until i pulled the fuse for the rear...

Thanks for that mac11irl. On my frosty way into work yesterday, the rear wiper was still doing its own thing but on the way home 3 hours later it was back to 'normal' and has been fine ever since. The worst things ever designed into cars....the intermittent fault. I'll be aware that it might happen again at any time, but until then I'll leave well alone. Thanks again for your help.

On 29/11/2019 at 18:18, gav_is_con said:

Don’t some cars intermittent the rear wiper when the fronts are on constantly?  I think my Superb does this not sure my Octy2 does. 

Yes in the MFD settings there is an option for "auto rear wiper" which will basically operate the rear wiper intermittently based on the speed of the front wipers. I find it works pretty well in anything but very heavy rain in which case I switch the rear wiper on properly