Clutch not fully disengaging

sakta

Ive had intermittent issues which are more frequent now with the clutch. As far as I know its been replaced some time ago and it grips well, no slip, but even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, the clutch is still not fully disengaged. I can sometimes really struggle to engage reverse or first, sometimes its nigh on impossible, and sometimes nearly impossible to leave reverse. 

Any idea what it could be and what I need to look out for? Its getting serviced in a month or so, so wondering what to indicate to the mechanic, or at least an rough estimate.

I kid you not, a lady at the car park was complaining about stiff gear changes, a near impossible to engage reverse and first, and sluggish acceleration. I said "let me have a look". Lo and behold, various floor mats stacked on top of each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, juanse_2691 said:

I kid you not, a lady at the car park was complaining about stiff gear changes, a near impossible to engage reverse and first, and sluggish acceleration. I said "let me have a look". Lo and behold, various floor mats stacked on top of each other.

I only wish it was that easy.... I’ll look into the bleeding, probably a good place to start

18 hours ago, juanse_2691 said:

Not a bad idea to reset the gear selector cables. 

If it goes in all the gears without the engine running it's not going to be that. It's also not going to be the release bearing.

First and reverse are always the hardest gears to engage if the clutch isn't clearing properly. Bleeding should be the first course of action.

Edited by TMB

33 minutes ago, Damo152003 said:

If it goes in gear with the engine off it wont be adjustment.

bleed the clutch first. 

More than likely in the box ie weak pressure plate or slave. 

Would be alot cheaper try a master cylinder first to rule that out

Thanks damo and TMB

yes, it goes in with engine off, only first and reverse are hard when engine running (it seems to be random whether it will go in easily or not). sometimes with the clutch fully pressed in it feels like it’s still engaging and sometimes, even close to the bite point 

will try see a mechanic soonish and see those bits. Thanks guys

Edited by sakta

You say clutch doesn't fully disengage, does it creep when in 1st/reverse with clutch fully down, if not could be a gearbox shim issue?

Edited by KeithCheetham
Additional info

41 minutes ago, KeithCheetham said:

You say clutch doesn't fully disengage, does it creep when in 1st/reverse with clutch fully down, if not could be a gearbox shim issue?

Ever so slightly, there is a slight clutch bite when it’s fully depressed. Pumping clutch lots of times also doesn’t help. The thread you linked sounds similar, I’ll definitely check out the shim mod since it sounds so cheap!

no carpets here :) I wish it was that easy