MK2 VRS Daylight Running lights...?

Hello all

Is there anyway one can get the lights to come on when the car is on and off without the beeping when you turn the bloody thing off...?

In the front, I have two H7 or H4 cant remember which big bulbs for main beam and hi beam, I got two lights at the bottom with several tiny bulbs that are always on when the car is running, and I have two small bulbs ( sidelights) which never go on...  Whats that about...?

16 minutes ago, bobster62 said:

Hello all

Is there anyway one can get the lights to come on when the car is on and off without the beeping when you turn the bloody thing off...?

In the front, I have two H7 or H4 cant remember which big bulbs for main beam and hi beam, I got two lights at the bottom with several tiny bulbs that are always on when the car is running, and I have two small bulbs ( sidelights) which never go on...  Whats that about...?

The side lights are purely cosmetic and aren’t even wired up and serve no purpose.

Not sure what you mean about the beeping, Are you on about the audible alarm

to tell you that you’ve left your lights on? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mickmartin said:

The side lights are purely cosmetic and aren’t even wired up and serve no purpose.

Not sure what you mean about the beeping, Are you on about the audible alarm

to tell you that you’ve left your lights on? 

Yes, Alarm is the lights still on alarm...

7 minutes ago, bulla said:

If you pop off the fuse cover below the steering wheel there should be a grey(??) switch which effectively changes the bottom LEDs from "sidelights" to "DRLs".

The fronts are on all the time unless I turn them off at that fuse box switch, but the rears dont come on unless I turn the lights on at the light switch on the dashboard...

From the pics in the user manual, there seems to be a different dash switch with an extra position that would enable DRL's ...Is that so...?

42 minutes ago, bobster62 said:

The fronts are on all the time unless I turn them off at that fuse box switch, but the rears dont come on unless I turn the lights on at the light switch on the dashboard...

From the pics in the user manual, there seems to be a different dash switch with an extra position that would enable DRL's ...Is that so...?

Its only front drl's, We don't have rear DRL's.

If DRL's are on with the ignition they are brighter than when on a Front Sidelights / Position Lights.

Just 'Sidelight' bright if on as a 'Parking Light' , which is 1 front sidelight and 1 rear parking light. (& 1 number plate light on some cars.)

@bulla

Welcome.

The 'DRL' on / off switch was in beside the fuses with early Mk2 vRS and not later ones.

That just switches off the DRL's when they would be DRL's.    ie, brighter than as sidelights and on automatically with the ignition.

Then you have the sidelights when you switch on the Sidelights or Sidelight and headlights.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 2

Mines a late 2013 car and still have the DRL switch as I had to replace it.

If you configure the car for "rest of world" with VCDS your rear lights will come on as well (like volvos have been for years) so you can have rears with DRL's

PS you can easily wire up the front "un-used" sidelights....I did this as it annoyed me they didnt work.

sl1 (Medium).jpg

sl6 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 11:39, bobster62 said:

It's supposed to be annoying, it's trying to warn you that you've left your lights turned on and that there is a risk you'll flatten the battery.

To stop it sounding either turn the lights off or close the drivers door.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 11:39, bobster62 said:

I got two lights at the bottom with several tiny bulbs that are always on when the car is running, and I have two small bulbs ( sidelights) which never go on...  Whats that about...?

A poorly thought out design by the Skoda engineers.

Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) are often placed down by the foglights, but it is rare for them to completely replace the foglights. Also being round and bright (LED) they perfectly mimic fog lights.

Combine this with the fact that they are dual purpose (side/parking lights & DRL), and that means that at night with dipped headlights on, the DRL's are still illuminated, albeit in a dimmed state.

This makes oncoming cars think you're one of those drivers who like to drive around with their front foglights on in all conditions.

Luckily Skoda realised their mistake on the MkII Fabia vRS and haven't replicated the location and dual function DRL's since.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1