Abs warning light

Ding

Hi

So this morning I went to start my 11 plate vrs and the abs warning light/run flat/traction warning lights came on and stayed on. 

Thinking this could just be a random blip being an older car I decided to turn off and start the car again. 

When I tried to restart the car there was no life from the ignition at all. I tried a few times. I then left it for 5 mins and went back at it started first time but the warning lights were still there. 

I took it to my local garage where they have replaced my old battery. They also tried to swap out the abs sensor but the sensor was fine and the problem was still there when the new one was fitted. The alternator was also checked and that was working fine as well. 

Does anybody have an idea what it could be. The garage suggested an auto electrician. 

If anybody could offer some advice that would be great. 

Thanks in advance. 

..You might just need to check and clear any codes listed then!

Oh, also, I had an intermittent fault a while back, where my ABS light would come on now and then. I changed the rear left sensor as that showed a fault, no change. Then came time to change the brake pads/discs and also a fluid swap, where it was noted the master cylinder seemed to be letting fluid back in, past the seals. A new master cylinder later, the warning light has stayed off ever since. Check the fluid level and colour of fluid as when it returns to the master cylinder, it is usually blackened, if old and contaminated.

Edited by mrgf
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Needs to be plugged in, the ABS fault "may" well be latched and need to be cleared.

So is it worth a call to an auto electrician?

16 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Needs to be plugged in, the ABS fault "may" well be latched and need to be cleared.

So is it worth a call to an auto electrician?

East lancs area. Accrington/blackburn/Burnley area 

Not so much an auto-electrician as someone who does the code reading. Preferably with VAG experience as a dealer/garage can charge anywhere from £50 to £90 just to read the codes. They might solver the issue too if simple or even deduct some of the coding cost from any work undertaken but it still adds up. 

The info UrbanPanzer gave you may be invaluable.

• Thanks 1

You just need to drive the car 25 metres or so and the christmas tree lights should go out, if you are left with the ABS one then just get it reset with a fault code reader.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Ding said:

No, in mine it esp/abs warning in the centre screen. Turned out to be abs module. 

No worries. 

Mine was also the ABS module in Simpsons Skodas (Colne) 'opinion'. Yet it was sent off to an independent company which found it had no fault found. Skoda replaced the module anyway which didnt fix the issue. Turns out the wire loom had corroded. Which was replaced and fixed the issue. Yet Simpsons claim that both issues were the fault. 

I usually use simpsons in colne too but I had mine looked at by 2 different independents and both thought it was the module. That coupled with a clutch that was about to give up pushed me towards selling it. 

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2020 at 14:54, Ding said:

I usually use simpsons in colne too but I had mine looked at by 2 different independents and both thought it was the module. That coupled with a clutch that was about to give up pushed me towards selling it. 

DING DONG-car gone!