Coolant Loss 63 plate 1.4TSI

We seem to be suffering frequent coolant loss on our 1.4TSI over the last 2-3 months, I've had to top it up two or three times in that period. It's done around 60k miles.

Last year we had the cambelt change, but I'm not sure offhand if the water pump was done (it seems like there may be issues with water pumps for cars of that age?). I will have to check the receipt when I get chance, but I vaguely recall being told it didn't need replacing at the time. 

Is that likely to be the most likely source? And is it going to be a pain to do if it's generally done with a cambelt change? 

If it is the water pump then it isn’t a pain to do.

The water pump is on the opposite end of the engine to the cam belt and is driven by its own separate little toothed belt from the exhaust camshaft.

Its not totally straightforward as I believe the pump itself has to be turned using a torque wrench to tension the belt, before  tightening it up (obviously recommended to renew that belt as well). 
Also the cooling system should be vacuum filled to prevent air locks.

Whoever did the cam belt would probably be best place to do the pump.

in any case I’d get it a proper diagnosis done as it could be anything.

9 hours ago, classic said:

If it is the water pump then it isn’t a pain to do.

The water pump is on the opposite end of the engine to the cam belt and is driven by its own separate little toothed belt from the exhaust camshaft.

Its not totally straightforward as I believe the pump itself has to be turned using a torque wrench to tension the belt, before  tightening it up (obviously recommended to renew that belt as well). 
Also the cooling system should be vacuum filled to prevent air locks.

Whoever did the cam belt would probably be best place to do the pump.

in any case I’d get it a proper diagnosis done as it could be anything.

Water pump on these is about a five hour job as just like the 1.8tsi and 2.0tsi the inlet manifold has to be removed to do the job properly, it also contains the thermostat housing and a sensor, also best to a genuine water pump as they tend to be more durable and longer lasting. No need for a torque wrench to tension the belt as  a new belt is tight enough once fitted, driven off the end of the balancer shaft.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Water pump on these is about a five hour job as just like the 1.8tsi and 2.0tsi the inlet manifold has to be removed to do the job properly, it also contains the thermostat housing and a sensor, also best to a genuine water pump as they tend to be more durable and longer lasting. No need for a torque wrench to tension the belt as  a new belt is tight enough once fitted, driven off the end of the balancer shaft.

With all due respect, it’s a totally different engine to the 1.8/2.0 tsi.

You don’t need to remove the inlet manifold.

The pump is driven by a toothed belt from the gearbox end of the exhaust camshaft.

There is no balancer shaft on the 1.4 tsi engine.

On my 1.4TSI the water pump started leaking at 100kms/5yrs. I got it fixed at an independent place specializing in VAG cars, and they said it was a common issue with these cars.

They have apparently missed the part in the manual about filling it up under pressure as they said it took them several hours to bleed the system and I had to add small amounts of coolant every morning for about a week after the replacement - then it stabilized and it's fine ever since then.

It was a yr ago so I can't remember the exact number but they certainly did not charge for 5hrs of labor - the pump itself wasn't cheap but the overall cost wasn't staggering.

I had the same symptoms on my 2014 1.4tsi earlier this year.

Replacement water pump by dealer at other end of engine to cambelt.

They did remove inlet manifold and reported they cleaned out some accumulated grunge as well.

I was not entirely happy with how the job was done and end high costs but was too emotionally affected by other circumstances at the time to contest.

I also did a lot of distance in their free new loan Fabia as a cost offset.

I have a1.4tsi my15 with 100000 kms and would be horrified if it needed any sort of major repair at this age or mileage. In 54 years of car ownership of a multitude of makes I have never had a water pump failure. I expect the Octavia to see at least 200000 kms and ten years, it is running beautifully and I do my own servicing.

Poshphil why did you have your timing belt changed? Service manual is 240000 inspection thereafter 30000 kms

I have just bought a new my20 Karoq to replace my Toyota Kluger and this is a joy to own

regards

Roger

6 hours ago, mobil531 said:

I have a1.4tsi my15 with 100000 kms and would be horrified if it needed any sort of major repair at this age or mileage. In 54 years of car ownership of a multitude of makes I have never had a water pump failure. I expect the Octavia to see at least 200000 kms and ten years, it is running beautifully and I do my own servicing.

Poshphil why did you have your timing belt changed? Service manual is 240000 inspection thereafter 30000 kms

I have just bought a new my20 Karoq to replace my Toyota Kluger and this is a joy to own

regards

Roger

I certainly was not happy as my car had only done around 50k km at the time.

Water pumps on the diesels are regularly reported on this forum to need replacement around the 50k km mark but reports for  the 1.2/1.4tsi engines are much rarer.

The only good thing was the failure was not disastrous and could have occurred earlier during our long interstate trip while in some pretty remote parts of the country.

As it was a simple top up got us through the final 100km to Adelaide and there was no overheating.