Coding MFSW to 2007 Octavia

Hello everyone

I'm sure someone somewhere has covered this but I can't find it.

Car in question is a 2007 Octavia Elegance Estate 2.0 FSi Auto with Stream radio fitted.

I've got my hands on a MFSW from a Superb, I've changed the airbag loom and fitted it all to the car, everything fits fine and my own airbag even works with the "new" steering and loom. I tried to code with VCDS and I'm getting Coding rejected - Error 31 - Request out of range.

I've read about coding out the stalk for cruise control but can't find anything about how to do it. Cruise, radio etc all working as normal, no lights one but horn doesn't work. Horn issue has only been present since fitting the new air bag loom so I assume this is to do with the coding of the MF Buttons?

The clock spring part number is 1K0 959 653 C which from what I can find is compatible with MFSW

Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Edited by AndyD345

11 minutes ago, AndyD345 said:

What is the controller? Black box inside the steering?

The module that sits under the steering column

you can see it in the last picture, with the yellow plug

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Golf-Mk-5-Column-With-Key/153753015018?hash=item23cc64d2ea:g:e8cAAOSw8o9d61~s

• Like 1

Controller is 1K0 953 549 AP

Had a host of fault codes as well, 01411 I think, controller not configured correctly. 

I've put the original look back in and everything is working again as it should, tempted to scrap the idea and sell the steering wheel on!

That'll be your problem, the AP rev doesn't support a MFSW. If you change the steering controller you should be fine.

Rosstech have a list here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions#Part_Number_1K0-953-549

I think most use a 1K0 953 549 CH and it matches the AP rev for slip ring type and steering angle sensor.

• Like 1

It's Mk1 Superb wheel and it is identical to the one I removed to the point the airbags are interchangeable however the numbers are different so I haven't tried to plug them in, I'm using the original airbag.

So if I'm reading the table correctly any of the numbers below will work with my car and MFSW? My car being auto I need (want) the key lock to be working. The highlighted one is the controller currently fitted.

image.png.2b9446af6125ffebc5802c0afbb93afb.png

26 minutes ago, AndyD345 said:

It's Mk1 Superb wheel and it is identical to the one I removed to the point the airbags are interchangeable however the numbers are different so I haven't tried to plug them in, I'm using the original airbag.

So if I'm reading the table correctly any of the numbers below will work with my car and MFSW? My car being auto I need (want) the key lock to be working. The highlighted one is the controller currently fitted.

image.png.2b9446af6125ffebc5802c0afbb93afb.png

Yes, You can also use 1K0-953-549BK or BG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Back to this again, I sourced and fitted 1K0-953-549-BS (original was 1K0-953-549-AP) It has a higher software level but other than that its the same, I was advised by a VW guru this should work fine.

image.png.0a01a303acd17310dcc4d272045ef698.png

One difference I did notice was the plug circled was not there one the BS unit but is on the original.

Reason for this post - Before I start searching for coding related faults with VCDS I have the steering warning light on, would it be likely this unit isn't compatible or is it just likely to be a coding issue? Radio controls work however cruise control buttons not working but still cruise still working with the stalk which I believe is a coding issue. Horn not working either but I suspect this is an issue with the airbag loom inside the steering wheel.

Any advise gratefully received.

1K0-953-549-AM Type 1 SW 0070 Highline Yes 1.3 -
1K0-953-549-AN Type 2 SW 0070 Lowline Yes - -
1K0-953-549-AP Type 2 SW 0070 Midline Yes - -
1K0-953-549-AQ Type 2 SW 0070 Highline Yes 1.3 -
1K0-953-549-AR Type 2 SW 0070 Midline Yes - -

1K0-953-549-BN Type 2 SW 0100/0101 Midline Yes - -
1K0-953-549-BP Type 2 SW 0101 Highline Yes 1.3 #2
1K0-953-549-BQ Type 2 SW 0101 Lowline Yes - -
1K0-953-549-BR Type 2 SW 0101 Midline No - -
1K0-953-549-BS Type 2 SW 0101 Highline No 1.3 -
1K0-953-549-BT Type 2 SW 0101 Lowline Yes - -
1K0-953-549-CA Type 2 SW 0101 Midline Yes - -
1K0-953-549-CB Type 2 SW 0101 Midline Yes - -
1K0

as you can see your AP has a steering angle sensor and the BS doesn't

you need to make sure the module supports it

the ones without are for later cars that have the steering angle sensor built into the steering rack

also ross tech info is not always correct, i bought a CB and it doesn't support G85 

Edited by Eddie-NL

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, quick update. Got the right controller, coded in and all working with the exception of the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. Cruise works, but off the stalk so I assume if I replace the stalk with a non cruise stalk then the wheel buttons will work?

Wheel is a 4 spoke wheel taken off a Superb but it is identical to the Octavia wheel other than its MFSW. Are there other options available to replace the cruise buttons on the left of the wheel?

• 9 months later...

Hi, 

I have a Skoda Octavia mk2 MY2007, the original steering wheel controller was 1K0-953-549BC so midline. I have fitted maxidot cluster and cruise control stalk and RNS510 Columbus.

Now I've fitted mfsw and steering wheel controller 1K0-953-549BK (highline). I also got the airbag loom for mfsw, part no. 5K0971584C, the light on/off button worked, but the rest of the buttons and horn didn't,  so I did some modifications to it, and now the horn works.

On VCDS I can see when I press the buttons on the steering wheel. The only thing left to do is to code the RNS510 for the shortpress buttons, which I can't, because for some reason my unit doesn't save the coding.

Any solutions ?

11 hours ago, Eddie-NL said:

is the RNS510 a vw unit or a skoda unit?

check the firmware on the unit

which buttons don't work?

Is skoda unit. Took it from a 09 superb. The illumination button work, so I can turn on or off the mfsw buttons light. The others don't work. Is it because I have stalk with buttons for mfd ? And the volume up and down and mute buttons don't work, but on vcds on measuring values I can see the value changing when I press every single button.