vRS fuel and questions

Chris

In the new year I'm starting a new job and my XJ isn't the most economical vehicle in the world doing roughly 33mpg. I'll be doing a 25 mile each way commute and I'm looking for something that is going to give me reasonable economy whilst maintaining a little 'fun'. The Fabia vRS seems to tick the boxes and value wise seem reasonable. What sort of economy would I be looking at in the real world. The commute is a straight dual carriageway so it will probably spend most of its time on cruise control but I'd like the fun bit for when I decide to venture off the A road and find alternative ways home. 

Are the engines as problematic as they seemed when they first came out? Anything else I should look for. Budget probably around 5k.

by the latest model you can afford, CTHE engine cars are considered "better" than the CAVE engined cars which suffered oil consumtion issues.

5k "might" get a CTHE car, but its going to have a good few miles on it.

An early car re-engined could be worth a look, but need to confirm check history / paperwork

service history important and personallyy I would steer clear of modified cars

Expect 40-45 mpg if driven "nicely"....

And yes they are great fun !!

Also, dont discount the Mk1 vRS, they are also superb cars and nearly as much fun, I loved mine and the mpg for communiting is ideal....if they were still in production I would have bought a new one.

This is rare...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Skoda-Fabia-VRS-1-9-PD-TDI/184058279678?hash=item2adaba76fe:g:oQ8AAOSwRu5d36G6

Edited by UrbanPanzer
  • Like 1

I don't doubt it, but I did say "personally".............which you seem to have missed.

Most people tune / modify / chip cars to get more performance etc etc, its a simple fact that a modified car will have had a harder life than one that hasn't

Each to their own

• Like 1

At least 3 sold from being advertised on here in the past 2 years with lots of upgrade parts were mapped to Stage 1.   Only raced or rallied occasionally, as they are good for when not a crappy from the factory standard one from 2010-2012.

These were CAVE engines cars that had engines that had been replaced under warranty.

The good thing being that an APR Stage 1 on a CAVE engine is better than the crap Software / Engine Management that Skoda had 3 versions of.

It is each to their own, and good if you know what you are dealing with.

Buyers beware of early CTHE engines that some still had Oil Issues and required Spray Jets and software updates, there are CTHE engine cars with replaced engines, there is then CTHE's issue, the timing chain which was not a CAVE issue to the same extent.

Research of the TPI's and any warranty work or service campaigns being important.

Then 34F7 or 34H% service campaigns on the DSG.

Edited by Roottootemoot

1 hour ago, UrbanPanzer said:

by the latest model you can afford, CTHE engine cars are considered "better" than the CAVE engined cars which suffered oil consumtion issues.

5k "might" get a CTHE car, but its going to have a good few miles on it.

An early car re-engined could be worth a look, but need to confirm check history / paperwork

service history important and personallyy I would steer clear of modified cars

Expect 40-45 mpg if driven "nicely"....

And yes they are great fun !!

Also, dont discount the Mk1 vRS, they are also superb cars and nearly as much fun, I loved mine and the mpg for communiting is ideal....if they were still in production I would have bought a new one.

This is rare...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Skoda-Fabia-VRS-1-9-PD-TDI/184058279678?hash=item2adaba76fe:g:oQ8AAOSwRu5d36G6

Jeeez I wish I could get 40/45 mpg from my 11 plate rs lol to be fair it's quite a lot of short trips averaging about 35/38 mpg driving nicely maybe could do with a service to boost fuel economy

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

34F5 covers DQ200's from 2010-2012 and is a DVSA Safety Recall, sticker in the boot if done.

There are late 2012 that doesnot get 34F5 or 34H5.

'34H5' is 2013-2015 and many that should have it were missed, but it looks like maybe Skoda / VW hare having to treat as safety critical so it should be on the VIN checker if outstanding.

Ask at a Dealership or Skoda UK CS.

As to the TPI's Heated Seats, Wiring Looms, Track rods ends, timing chains etc, ask at Dealerships. There are ones.

I’ve had my 2011 VRS for almost a year now, I’ve found fuel consumption can vary wildly depending on how it’s driven as well as weather conditions. The sort of use you say you’ll give it should produce 45mpg+, short journeys in winter have been yielding me about 33-35, cold ambient temperatures means oil temperature takes a long time to climb, even with water temperature at normal 90 degrees it can take another 10 miles + to get the oil that warm (check the display) it’s only then the economy will be at its best. You mention cruise control, not many cars came fitted with it as standard, I had it retrofitted on mine for £350 in the summer, the 90 mile round trip to Awesomegti in Manchester returned the best economy figure I’ve managed, 51mpg on a scorching hot day.

Oil consumption too can vary wildly, my 2011 CAVE engine has done 60k miles now, long high speed motorway runs it uses about 0.3 litres/1000 miles but lots of short journeys from cold starts it’s closer to 1 litre/1000 miles needless to say weekly or fortnightly checks are recommended depending on the mileage you do. 

They do not need to use oil even with short trips, only oil users do...

They love cold weather as long as doing long enough trips. Saves using energy to keep cool like in warm weather.

I drove 5 winters with twinchargers.

Many had Cruise Control as standard. On the roads i drove Cruise Control used more fuel than just driving quickly and lifting off the throttle when needed, 

the CC had the car revving when not necessary IME.

Not that there were many Mk2 Fabia in the UK, under 3,000.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/261562-450-miles-in-a-vrs-45-mpg

Edited by Roottootemoot

Yes thats the strange thing, checked a few months ago and asked a dealer on the phone and they said nothing on the system.

Would like to know more about the 34H5 to see what it is supposed to solve as my car is currently running fine.

@UrbanPanzer

I have never heard of any adverse affects from having '34F5' carried out.

It was brought in as a preventative measure when there were DQ200's with pressure issues and oil leaks or failures with DSG's.

Just, 

Buy the one that does not use oil CAVE or CTHE,. maybe even one with a new engine, or it's 2nd replacement engine, 

and no DSG issues.  Or buy one dead cheap if you have all the gear and an idea.

Edited by Roottootemoot

2 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@UrbanPanzer

I have never heard of any adverse affects from having '34F5' carried out.

It was brought in as a preventative measure when there were DQ200's with pressure issues and oil leaks or failures with DSG's.

interesting read.....

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?15707-Dealer-changed-DSG-Software-now-sloppy-gearchange