Rear lights left not working - help pls

MikeRoom

Indicator works. Left rear lights don't. Tested bulbs for continuity - through outer case & inner 'lump' on the bottom. Can't make head nor tail of fuses - panel diagram doesn't seem to correlate to what's there . What are the rear bulbs / lights called? parking lights? Thanks. Have tested each fuse in panel with multimeter except the extra large ones without the testing window. 

20191226_124649.jpg

20191226_124708.jpg

20191226_124729.jpg

20191226_130025.jpg

Tail light is what it's called. Does the front left sidelight work, and the number plate light(s)?

What year is the car?

PS: spin that sticker of fuse assignments 180° for a better match. No. 17 is the one, top right on your fusebox.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wino said:

Tail light is what it's called. Does the front left sidelight work, and the number plate light(s)?

What year is the car?

PS: spin that sticker of fuse assignments 180° for a better match. No. 17 is the one, top right on your fusebox.

yes number plate works & fron tleft side light  - ok thanks top right - but it works anyway - dont have any of those smaller fuses - will need to get some 

FIXED! In desperation gave a bang to the whole unit - suddenly it's working - on the upside I now know the fuse unit & how to remove the lights / bulbs etc. Also didn't realise there were 2 sizes of fuse - need to buy some of the mini ones (do they have a name??)

Must have been loose somewhere.

Cheers Wino

I had intermittent problems with my rear lights, and also number plate lamps. Lights would flicker closing hatch, and sometimes they'd go out and come back if i tapped the lamp.

I realized that the rubber o-rings on the light bulb holders were broken and didn't fix the lamp properly, and replacing there fixed the lamps. I assume that the o-ring applies some pressure to make sure the circuit is tight? (only sensible guess I can come up with?)

On 28/12/2019 at 11:29, ca6 said:

I had intermittent problems with my rear lights, and also number plate lamps. Lights would flicker closing hatch, and sometimes they'd go out and come back if i tapped the lamp.

I realized that the rubber o-rings on the light bulb holders were broken and didn't fix the lamp properly, and replacing there fixed the lamps. I assume that the o-ring applies some pressure to make sure the circuit is tight? (only sensible guess I can come up with?)

Thankyou CA6- sounds really plausible - just bog standard o rings ?- will look for these next time I open it up - appreciated

2 hours ago, MikeRoom said:

Thankyou CA6- sounds really plausible - just bog standard o rings ?- will look for these next time I open it up - appreciated

I brought an old one with me and the clerk at the car parts store picked out four generic new ones that looked similar sized, paid ~€4 and it solved my problem.

I found this on a german site, if you want dimensions to order online: https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/dichtungen-fahrlicht-hinten.124816/page-2

Edited by ca6
spelling

@MikeRoom, not sure if you spotted this during your testing, but the tail (parking) lights are these bulbs here (circled in red)...

image.png.9bb449488f3601c4be68e06a57e643cd.png

They are difficult to spot (as they are on the MkII Octavia) and are regularly missed.

Either way, looks like it wasn't the bulbs but this might be useful for others.

• Like 1