One month owner, impressions

Hello, I have been driving my Škoda superb 2020 (facelift) sports line tdi 190 dsg with most of the extras for a month,  coming from a bmw 320D state with no extras.

its a comfortable car, quite big, easy to drive lots of room, good finishes etc. I’m happy overall, I’m really impressed with the auto slow down when using ACc and approaching a tight bend in the road. 

But  there are somethings that bother me.
- kessy: it will not close the car automatically when I eso away. This is a huge problem for me, my expectations were obviously wrong. I find really bothering to have to reach the Car key or to have to touch the door handle.

- Adaptative suspension, performance overall is good I’m happy, but something bothers me, on the softer setting when over a speed bump a little fast, suspension extents totally and I hear a loud knock. To me I’m not goingfast enough for it, but it happens 

- lane assist. It does a great job keeping me between the lines but I find a big issue on the lack of warning when the system stops working ( no visible lines, curve too tight) I expected some kind of sound.

- following up the front car. Does a great job but when stopping, after 3 seconds the car does not automatically resume it way, I have to push the gas pedal

I’ll update 

Edited by poseido

Kessy: it’s a design decision with pros and cons. If you have the key in your pocket and walk away and the doors lock - what happens if there is someone inside? How about when you want to unlock the doors so your family can load unload the car? If the doors lock every time you walk back to the house, that would be a big nuisance. Of course there are other times when it would be good if the doors locked automatically but there is no “right answer” to how it should work, unless it’s armed with telepathy!

Loud knock on suspension doesn’t sound right, I have never had this with mine. Dealers have a habit of leaving in transit blocks, perhaps not all yours were removed at PDI?

Lane assist - yes I would tend to agree but it could be quite annoying if it “boinged” every time the white lines faded out (common in U.K.!). I suppose the manufacturer would say that it is a supplement to driving, not a means of driving, and therefore there should be no effect on driver behaviour - whether or not it is working, the driver needs to steer! If no change in driver behaviour is required, there is no point in an irritating boing.

Resume after 3 seconds stopped. I think the point is that, after being stationary for a while, the driver might have lost concentration and it would be bad if the car just set off on its own. However I think that 3 seconds is much too short a time.

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Kessy: it’s a design decision with pros and cons. If you have the key in your pocket and walk away and the doors lock - what happens if there is someone inside? How about when you want to unlock the doors so your family can load unload the car? If the doors lock every time you walk back to the house, that would be a big nuisance. Of course there are other times when it would be good if the doors locked automatically but there is no “right answer” to how it should work, unless it’s armed with telepathy!

Loud knock on suspension doesn’t sound right, I have never had this with mine. Dealers have a habit of leaving in transit blocks, perhaps not all yours were removed at PDI?

Lane assist - yes I would tend to agree but it could be quite annoying if it “boinged” every time the white lines faded out (common in U.K.!). I suppose the manufacturer would say that it is a supplement to driving, not a means of driving, and therefore there should be no effect on driver behaviour - whether or not it is working, the driver needs to steer! If no change in driver behaviour is required, there is no point in an irritating boing.

Resume after 3 seconds stopped. I think the point is that, after being stationary for a while, the driver might have lost concentration and it would be bad if the car just set off on its own. However I think that 3 seconds is much too short a time.

Obviously there are reasons behind this decisions, but I don’t agree with them... and they do ruin  my experience with the car. They are little things but to me very annoying (kessy issue the most) 

The car can be coded with VCDS to lock automatically when you close the door, I am not aware of anyway (other than touching the door handle or remote) to fold the mirrors if you code it to auto lock though. 

13 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

The car can be coded with VCDS to lock automatically when you close the door, I am not aware of anyway (other than touching the door handle or remote) to fold the mirrors if you code it to auto lock though. 

Do you mean  that can be coded to this behavior:

stop the car, switch ignition off,  get off, close the door (not touching the door handle) walk away, and when you are at a distance ( couple of metters) the car will lock itself automatically as long you have the key with you? 

20 minutes ago, poseido said:

Do you mean  that can be coded to this behavior:

stop the car, switch ignition off,  get off, close the door (not touching the door handle) walk away, and when you are at a distance ( couple of metters) the car will lock itself automatically as long you have the key with you? 

Not quite,

as soon as the door closes the car locks, not tried to see what happens if you close your door before the other doors, I assume it would then lock when the last door is closed? 

You would need the keys on you as it will not lock if they are detected in the car. 

1 hour ago, poseido said:

But  there are somethings that bother me.
- kessy: it will not close the car automatically when I eso away. This is a huge problem for me, my expectations were obviously wrong. I find really bothering to have to reach the Car key or to have to touch the door handle.

Just out of curiosity does any current kessy system on any brand work in this manner? (anybody?...)

Kind of thought they all needed operator input of some sort to function. 

These systems are designed to work the way they do for security reasons rather than a system that blindly locks and unlocks a car at x amount of meters range.

Also surely its hardly a hassle to touch the door handle as you walk away from or upto the car. 

20 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

Just out of curiosity does any current kessy system on any brand work in this manner? (anybody?...)

Kind of thought they all needed operator input of some sort to function. 

These systems are designed to work the way they do for security reasons rather than a system that blindly locks and unlocks a car at x amount of meters range.

Also surely its hardly a hassle to touch the door handle as you walk away from or upto the car. 

Renault does for sure 
I think Opel too

Edited by poseido

9 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Renault do/did, you could simply walk away as the key carrying passenger, leaving the keyless driver unable to restart and therefore stranded - inevitably at the front of a traffic queue. Can't remember if it auto locked to stop the hapless driver being vulnerable to annoyed traffic behind (I got back there sharpish).

Stupid system.

3 hours ago, NJRJ said:

Renault do/did, you could simply walk away as the key carrying passenger, leaving the keyless driver unable to restart and therefore stranded - inevitably at the front of a traffic queue. Can't remember if it auto locked to stop the hapless driver being vulnerable to annoyed traffic behind (I got back there sharpish).

Stupid system.

That’s a very specific situation, yes.

but I don’t find it much more strange that with current kessy system forget to close the car and hace your sunglasses (or worse) stolen at the parking lot. 

Both cases are someone forgetting something, and to me is much more complex that the passenger carries my key than me forgetting to manually locking   the door...

I don't like KESSY as a system, but it was fitted to my car as standard.  In so far as how it works, I prefer to be sure that the car is locked when I want it to be, so I would not be happy with depending on an automatic lock when I walked away. I wouldn't know if it was locked or not.  I do not find it any hassle to touch the door handle when I want to lock the car. In fact I have the lock set up so it makes a sound when it locks to confirm that it hasn't been grabbed.

1 hour ago, Caspian said:

I don't like KESSY as a system, but it was fitted to my car as standard.  In so far as how it works, I prefer to be sure that the car is locked when I want it to be, so I would not be happy with depending on an automatic lock when I walked away. I wouldn't know if it was locked or not.  I do not find it any hassle to touch the door handle when I want to lock the car. In fact I have the lock set up so it makes a sound when it locks to confirm that it hasn't been grabbed.

Fun to see so manny (and opposite) opinions about kessy. 

ovbiously it’s a controversial system 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkodian said:

Re: ACC stopping after 3 seconds stationary: you don’t have to touch the accelerator pedal, just pull the ACC stalk towards you when you want to go again. The dash says “ACC Ready” and sets off again.

Thanks, I didn’t knewabout that.