Light on backlight of cluster on table

skolaeast

Hi. I tried everythink to light on ilumination of clusters on table. I have BSG unit and connected via CAN-BUS. Everything wokrs (etc. VCDS, VAG-COM, K+CAN commander - everythink communication and works). I can light on only via test in VAG-COM. I can not found working pin on BSG to light on clusters. Very please for your help. On any concern car is more simply, but on Fabia MK1 not... Thanks

Hmmm, it doesn't seem to show the cluster backlights does it.

EDIT apparently 'e' is it but shows nothing else.

Edited by TMB

Realy thank you for replay, but... I thing that I am searching 60 and "e" like a Ilumination instrument is grounded at pin 8c/8. I got it (It is GND point of cluster terminal 31) but the second signal is from b1 (CAN communication). Do you have the same diagram for main control unit of the car (comfort unit) (BSG)? I do not know where to find this type of wiring. I have only original ŠKODA documentaion and its very more complicated :-). 

Just now, TMB said:

Hmmm, it doesn't seem to show the cluster backlights does it.

For light on instruments I need CAN comm. from BSG. But please, tell me some one a PIN no. on BSG... I can not found it.... 

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

The only wiring diagrams I personally have are these....

http://inhouse.uw.hu/elektronika/Skoda_Fabia_Praktik_1.9_SDi_2006_wiring.pdf

It's a perfect for anything next what I want to do, but... I'm founding a pin at BSG which get from Light switch info about parking lights which starts light in car... It must be a simple, becouse light switch does not have a CAN communication, it is only switch, nothing more... but I can't found it 😞 I have only this type of documentation and this is a light switch.... I thing, that I have to know where is going pin (terminal) 58 cable 1 mm green/blue at continuing [86]. Everything is described (not so good, but is), but this type of continuing isn't... 

testpng.jpg

27 minutes ago, skolaeast said:

I thing, that I have to know where is going pin (terminal) 58 cable 1 mm green/blue at continuing [86].

gr/bl  = grey/blue

ge/gn = yellow/green

There is a nice chap on here called Wino who is very good with this suff. He might be able to help you better than I can.

When mine broke I just fitted two 5mm green LEDs in the top of the cluster. Lights up a treat. It worked so well that I had to change the resistor I originally used to a higher value one to dim them a bit 😁

SS853825.jpg

SS853833.jpg

Edited by TMB

The numbers like 86 in rectangular boxes tell you the 'current track' number where that wire continues. Current track numbers are the ones at the bottom of each diagram.

If you scroll down a few pages on the diagram you have, you'll find the 'illumination regulator', E20, which seems to be a potentiometer. It isn't shown as a proper circuit, but I think the output is the wire going to the A11, and A4 in circles, from pin T7a/3 of the illumination regulator. This will be supplying a variable voltage to something inside the J519 module (A-D converter in a microcontroller, most likely) which will then allow J519 to command over CAN communications the illumination level at the instruments circuit board. Unless you can find a circled A11 or A4 associated with one of the wires going to the instrument cluster (dash panel insert, J285), I think this must be how the backlighting of J285 is controlled, via digital comms. 

10 minutes ago, Wino said:

See my reply just above, but I think you just need to connect up the illumination regulator to your BSG at T6c/2?

So... How can I simulate a light switch And connection to T6c/2? Any ideas? Or I have to buy a light switch? 😀 I do not want to buy complete switch

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Try just feeding in a voltage between 0 and 12V to that pin of the BSG/J519, maybe 5V for example?

I used a 10k OHM potenciometer (with LED diod) and feed 0V-12V to XS1 (T6c/2) in BSG (J519) and nothing going on... My LED diod with resistor is working, but backlight nothing... I founded that page about setting of backlighting, but I don't understand it... 😞 Everything work me... I can connect the clusters to PC and via app play a game and show real speed on clusters :D it is perfect, but this simply think like is backlight i can not run :(. I do not understand, what does it mean that A4, A9 etc. and continuing of cable [32] etc. 

spinac.jpg

5 hours ago, Wino said:

Try just feeding in a voltage between 0 and 12V to that pin of the BSG/J519, maybe 5V for example?

Just ideas from back of head. If helpful- OK. IF NOT -IGNORE .

+ supply output from a USB convertor, or a 7805 . It will accept up to 18v on the input . Very simple 3 terminal voltage stabiliser . One terminal in, one ground and other out. Strictly speaking it needs a capacitor on both input and output, but as you're on a stable supply ,and for a quick test ,it should be ok. Just keep an eye on the temperature of the device. ( If it is hot to touch, then it's too hot)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&ei=fmgLXufYEJKg1fAPmeetgAo&q=7805&oq=7805&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i67l3j0l7.129509.129925..134970...0.0..0.231.598.0j3j1....3..0....1..gws-wiz.5O1VF0ST9MA

OP- as a driver , simple Q-

a)  are all the warning lights illuminated at switch on, or

b)is it just nightime illumination of dash  that has failed.

If a)- ignore.

If b), then Wino , does the module have a not input ,where if lights are not on, then the line is "0" ( or "1" if negative logic employed ) , or is it just lit ( to varying degrees ) by the voltage from the light switch adjuster

FWI- TNB- consider a pot ( aka variable resistor ) . Formula is (Volts (car ) - V ( forward drop of diodes) ) /current of LED ( in amps).

You'd need to consider the ranges of V(car ) to keep within the limits of the LED. I'd suggest that 10 mA(10/1000A) with max volts is a good starting point. Other way is as above 7805 to give a constant volts out, then apply formula. But with car running you would need the in & out capacitors. And possibly an insulated heatsink. ( car body is a good one )

Edited by VWD

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Reading this should help you or anyone else understand the diagrams:

CFD expanations.pdf 285.54 kB · 2 downloads

Apologies for the typo in the title of the pdf, can't be bothered to rename and reupload.

This I have... But i do not understunding to "Reference  to  continuation  of  wiring". Where is the continuing... for next things above i will look tomorow. I have an New Year party 🙂 THX a lot for this time. Happy New Year to all of you. 

As I said a few posts ago, the number in the box is the number of the current path (defined/shown on first page of download) where the wire continues.

8 hours ago, Wino said:

The numbers like 86 in rectangular boxes tell you the 'current track' number where that wire continues. Current track numbers are the ones at the bottom of each diagram.

When you look at the current path/track number that is pointed to, you'll see another rectangle box with the number the continuation is from.

Here's an example of (radiator fan wiring)  where continuation rectangular boxes of source and destination are on the same page, so I've highlighted the linked track numbers by joining them with a green line. Usually the destination is on a different page. 

This example also shows some circled numbers where the wires joined are actually also on the same page, and linked with thin black horizontal lines.

Radfans.png

Edited by Wino

On 12/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, Wino said:

As I said a few posts ago, the number in the box is the number of the current path (defined/shown on first page of download) where the wire continues.

When you look at the current path/track number that is pointed to, you'll see another rectangle box with the number the continuation is from.

Here's an example of (radiator fan wiring)  where continuation rectangular boxes of source and destination are on the same page, so I've highlighted the linked track numbers by joining them with a green line. Usually the destination is on a different page. 

This example also shows some circled numbers where the wires joined are actually also on the same page, and linked with thin black horizontal lines.

I understand it now :D thx so much for explain this 🙂

" you did reference your inputted variable voltage  to the same 0V/earth as the cluster is getting, did you?" Yes, i had a common GND point, but nothing happend. Now I have maybe about ten + cables to BSG and I am not sure, which I need and which not. Maybe I have some extra or I miss one... 😞 I will try it from begin. If you have some ideas, which pins on BSG must have +12V and which GND... 🙂