TV Tuner in Superb Mk3 Retrofit?

1 hour ago, numskull said:

One word of caution to all those wanting this function. We have a March 2016 model and whilst the TV is really great to have, the picture quality is, to be frank, utterly abysmal; it’s SD and a very poor SD at that, so please bear that in mind before you spend more time and effort to retro fit this. It also doesn’t help that there are practically no picture adjustments either. That said, it was great to have DVD (remember those?!)  function whilst waiting for a ferry at Holyhead which had been delayed for 6 hours - wizzed though half of S3 of The West Wing! 

Hello , that can be a valueable information can you please see what are the amplifiers that  you car has ?

If you have time read this thread please https://www.drive2.ru/l/548204129177043627/.

Maybr because of this information it is better to buy the audi ones.

I think you’ll find all the VAG units are as awful as each other. Certainly an friend who has a 2017 A6 with the TV (something like an £800 option) is just as poor as the one in our 280. 

PS - the thread is a Russian site. What would up you like me to read? 😁

Edited by numskull

Use chrome browser for translation , right click on the page for example.

6 hours ago, numskull said:

I think you’ll find all the VAG units are as awful as each other. Certainly an friend who has a 2017 A6 with the TV (something like an £800 option) is just as poor as the one in our 280. 

PS - the thread is a Russian site. What would up you like me to read? 😁

Well, that’s 10 mins of my life I’ll never get back. Did you direct me there just for the part numbers? 
Anyway, I’m happy to help, but with one caveat; if it means dismantling half the boot, I’m afraid that ain’t gonna happen! Where are the amps on a Superb hatch?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 10:24, Camarao69 said:

Ok the correct harness is this one
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPh1i19

Not exactly "correct"... Notice one of the aerial coax cables is taped in with the wires that go to the head unit, but in the superb there is no aerial near the head unit, also one of the aerial wires in this kit is super short. Thirdly notice there is no double fakra connector, so it's not possible to attach the 3x aerials cables supplied here to the superb tuner which has a double fakra connector

Alternative

Hi Guys.. Bit of a curveball but here's a potential solution (It certainly works for me!)

Requirements.

Carplay enabled MIB

Jailbroken iPhone.

There's a Cydia app called 'CarBridge' 

It enables anything (For the most part) that's displayed on the phone screen to be visible on Carplay.

It even allows you to 'publish' apps so they become icons on your carplay dash.

Only real limitations are apps that have DRM (Netflix, Disney+ Sky Go etc).. These just display a black screen

There are plenty that do work flawlessly (BBC iplayer, Youtube, Kodi!)

See screenshots below

IMG_1231.PNG

IMG_1235.PNG

IMG_3048.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/04/2021 at 23:40, Camarao69 said:

I have almost all the parts , i'm only missing the antena amplifiers.

Have you made any progress ?

I did yesterday! 

I have done a lot of research and now know exactly where everything goes. My guides below are for sedan, maybe not for estate/kombi

Replaced the top left black DAB antenna, taking out 3v5035577F, putting in DAB/TV antenna 3v5035577E. 

This connects using  exactly 414cm of RG174A/U 50ohm cable (because the spec of this cable says it should be cut in multiples of 1.38 metres to achieve the best signal)  to TV tuner socket Tv2, which is the green fakra connector closest to the brown fakra on the back of the TV tuner. 

This antenna also connects to the rear glass via the 3pin connector on its other end as follows:

Pin 1 to “r183“ (DAB aerial on rear glass) 
Pin 2 to "R56" tv aerial 2 on rear glass
Pins 2 and 3 loopback

Replaced the top right FM/AM antenna, taking out 3v5035577, putting in FM/AM/TV antenna 3v5035577B. 

This connects again using 414cm of RG174A/U, this time to TV tuner socket Tv1, which is the brown fakra on the back of the TV tuner. 

This antenna also connects to the rear glass via the 3pin connector on its other end as follows:

Pin 1 to "R11" AM/FM aerial in rear glass
Pin 2 to "R55" TV aerial 1
Pins 2 and 3 loopback

Added new 3v503557C antenna at the bottom of the rear glass, I used 552cm of cable to connect to Tv3, the green fakra furthest away from the brown fakra. 

Connects to glass like this:

Pin 1 unused (auxiliary heater) 
Pin 2 r57 TV aerial 3
Pins 2 and 3 loopback

I used vcds to turn on the measurement data adaptation on the TV tuner so I could watch the attenuation levels as I plugged things in. I have about 20-25db on Tv1 and tv2, and about 12db on TV3 which isn't connected to the glass yet. 

Today I need to connect Tv3 to the glass, and also check the 3 pin glass connections on Tv1 and Tv2, because they should both have pin 1 to the glass for radio, but also pin 2 to separate TV aerials in the glass, and if pin 2 isn't there, I will have to add it on those

I will today also use Odis-s to remove component protection on the TV tuner. 

I have reception and channels now (no audio until I fix component protection), but I have to check all the glass aerials today to make sure I have the best reception. 

IMG_20210605_190149.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2021 at 08:09, AlVal said:

I did yesterday! 

I have done a lot of research and now know exactly where everything goes. My guides below are for sedan, maybe not for estate/kombi

Replaced the top left black DAB antenna, taking out 3v5035577F, putting in DAB/TV antenna 3v5035577E. 

This connects using  exactly 414cm of RG174A/U 50ohm cable (because the spec of this cable says it should be cut in multiples of 1.38 metres to achieve the best signal)  to TV tuner socket Tv2, which is the green fakra connector closest to the brown fakra on the back of the TV tuner. 

Pins 2 and 3 loopback

Replaced the top right FM/AM antenna, taking out 3v5035577, putting in FM/AM/TV antenna 3v5035577B. 

This connects again using 414cm of RG174A/U, this time to TV tuner socket Tv1, which is the brown fakra on the back of the TV tuner. 

Pins 2 and 3 loopback

Added new 3v503557C antenna at the bottom of the rear glass, I used 552cm of cable to connect to Tv3, the green fakra furthest away from the brown fakra. 

Pin 2 r57 TV aerial 3
Pins 2 and 3 loopback

I used vcds to turn on the measurement data adaptation on the TV tuner so I could watch the attenuation levels as I plugged things in. I have about 20-25db on Tv1 and tv2, and about 12db on TV3 which isn't connected to the glass yet. 

Today I need to connect Tv3 to the glass, and also check the 3 pin glass connections on Tv1 and Tv2, because they should both have pin 1 to the glass for radio, but also pin 2 to separate TV aerials in the glass, and if pin 2 isn't there, I will have to add it on those

I have reception and channels now (no audio until I fix component protection), but I have to check all the glass aerials today to make sure I have the best reception. 

IMG_20210605_190149.jpg

Great job

I still didn´t had enough time to start this retrofit (i have 18 months baby that takes all of my time) and have been working on another project  too that i´m almost finishing ,

I made a 3d printed fake exhaust tips, i´m in the process of sanding them for the crome paint coverage , i had to build a 3d printer to print them i have other ideas to print and this made me buy it  ,it took some time too (already upgraded the printer with all mods an Anet A8), i think i will finish this week these parts. Maybe they will be better than the ones from milotec.

You had to buy new cables or used the Chinese ones ?

Didn´t know the tv had component protection what a boomer .

I think the amplifiers in the superb estate/combi are in the same place as the octavia so i will fallow berryman instruction.

The Chinese antenna cables are all wrong so I used their harness but not their rf cables, and bought my own antenna cable and fakra connectors. 

For sound to work, the tv tuner had to be set to audio profile 3 in adaptations also. 

Tv1 and Tv2 already had the glass antenna wires for tv attached between the existing amplifiers and the glass, so only for the new TV3 antenna I needed to solder the new wire to the glass aerial. The TV is the solder point on the left, the one on the right is for auxiliary heating. 

IMG_20210620_185946_087~2.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 06/05/2021 at 20:07, AlVal said:

Not exactly "correct"... Notice one of the aerial coax cables is taped in with the wires that go to the head unit, but in the superb there is no aerial near the head unit, also one of the aerial wires in this kit is super short. Thirdly notice there is no double fakra connector, so it's not possible to attach the 3x aerials cables supplied here to the superb tuner which has a double fakra connector

Hello Alval, i´m beggining this project , yesterday i bought the antenas (the audi ones). The one you mean tapped is the one with that puff ball correct ? and the head unit  is  the tv tuner?. I think this is because this cables wore made to be used in cars where the tv tuner goes in the trunk (golf for example)

On 06/06/2021 at 08:09, AlVal said:

I did yesterday! 

Pins 2 and 3 loopback

Pins 2 and 3 loopback

Pin 2 r57 TV aerial 3
Pins 2 and 3 loopback

IMG_20210605_190149.jpg

20211012_101735.thumb.jpg.fbd42aca50033dd936d463563ec183ce.jpg

Alval Can you please help me with the connection on this cable, so what did you do with the most cable , one goes to the back of the tv tuner and the other what did you?

The brown cable is ground , but there are 2 cable green/purple and red/back where did you fit them ?

20211012_102421.thumb.jpg.9e0df73d0d19c90b37d5e000b281d43d.jpg

You did not use any of these correct?

What have you done, instead bough or made it your self ?

Thank you

On 15/10/2021 at 18:27, Camarao69 said:

It seems i was not correct these are the correct locations.1230828882_instalao.jpg.0e1812ff7b0f4c50aa72c0e20b876c2e.jpg

no, your first aerial locations are correct, not this

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone, i'am almost done with this retrofit, i have installed everything , now it's time for coding .

I need some help with this can anyone share a vcds map for 5f and 57  (someone with tv tuner), i know Alval finished this but he has not been able to anwser my questions.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if tv tuner lights up (red optical) when it is being powered ?

I'am having a hard time making this work , obd11 does not show tv tuner in my gateway list . Any help would be apreciated.

6 hours ago, Camarao69 said:

Does anyone know if tv tuner lights up (red optical) when it is being powered ?

I'am having a hard time making this work , obd11 does not show tv tuner in my gateway list . Any help would be apreciated.

You’ll have to give us some more details.

have you checked for power and ground at the tuner?

have you enabled the tuner in the gateway list?

can you connect to the module in any way?

Hello ApertureS

I´m sure i have 12v to the tv tuner i mesuered it with a multimeter. I have tv tuner 8v0919191B  and as everything i tried did not work i bought the correct one 8v0919191C thinking that baybe the unit was dead.

but this one is the same, obd11 does not show me the 57 -tv tuner in the installation list  so can´t enable it there.

If i go to adaptation in gateway on specified installations and enable it there i get a no comunication error on the gateway.

One thing that is odd is, if  i  disconnect the optical cable from the tv tuner 5f it gives me an optical error that it can´t comunicate with tv tuner .

9 hours ago, Camarao69 said:

Hello ApertureS

I´m sure i have 12v to the tv tuner i mesuered it with a multimeter. I have tv tuner 8v0919191B  and as everything i tried did not work i bought the correct one 8v0919191C thinking that baybe the unit was dead.

but this one is the same, obd11 does not show me the 57 -tv tuner in the installation list  so can´t enable it there.

If i go to adaptation in gateway on specified installations and enable it there i get a no comunication error on the gateway.

One thing that is odd is, if  i  disconnect the optical cable from the tv tuner 5f it gives me an optical error that it can´t comunicate with tv tuner .

it would give that error as its expecting it. If you dont have coms then it will be one of 2 things.

Either no power and ground or no canbus/most connection.

Have you got a canbus connection to it or is it just done via most and a single lin wire back to the 5f module... did you fit the single wire :D

EDIT: Checked the wiring diagram and other than the 3 aeriel connections you will have a power, ground, single wire to the 5F module on grey connector pin 3 and the most connection.

Have you confirmed the single violet and green wire (if oem colours) is connected correctly, if this is all okay then the MOST needs checking, how has this been connected up, have you spliced into it where and did you use a Y splitter.

Edited by ApertureS

4 hours ago, ApertureS said:

it would give that error as its expecting it. If you dont have coms then it will be one of 2 things.

Either no power and ground or no canbus/most connection.

Have you got a canbus connection to it or is it just done via most and a single lin wire back to the 5f module... did you fit the single wire :D

EDIT: Checked the wiring diagram and other than the 3 aeriel connections you will have a power, ground, single wire to the 5F module on grey connector pin 3 and the most connection.

Have you confirmed the single violet and green wire (if oem colours) is connected correctly, if this is all okay then the MOST needs checking, how has this been connected up, have you spliced into it where and did you use a Y splitter.

I have conected the ring break diagnostic cable to the back of the mib unit in the grey switch pin 3. Most is working as i have virtual cockpit  and nav is shown in the virtual cockpit . The odd thing is when i disconnect the optical from the tv tuner a error appears in 5f saying there is no optical connection to tv tuner.

I used a optical spliter that is directly connected to 5f, i have a red light to the tv tuner the tuner when powered does not show a red light, is this normal ?

Edited by Camarao69

7 hours ago, Camarao69 said:

I have conected the ring break diagnostic cable to the back of the mib unit in the grey switch pin 3. Most is working as i have virtual cockpit  and nav is shown in the virtual cockpit . The odd thing is when i disconnect the optical from the tv tuner a error appears in 5f saying there is no optical connection to tv tuner.

I used a optical spliter that is directly connected to 5f, i have a red light to the tv tuner the tuner when powered does not show a red light, is this normal ?

Not sure if the MOST would be outputting but I’d assume yes.

before jumping at correct/incorrect parts I’d first be checking the car with something like odis or vcds to just confirm a more purpose built tool can’t read it, then I’d be looking at either faulty or incorrect hardware 

• 6 months later...

Well the other day i was able  to check via vcds that i had component protection activated on  the tv tuner. I was able today to remove component protection using odis-s and was able  to plug the antenas cables  . I have no errors on tv tuner now (in odis-s) but still have no 57- tv tuner as a installed component i' not understanding that.  Obd11 does not see it either , i'm at a loss don' t know what to do.

10 hours ago, Camarao69 said:

Well the other day i was able  to check via vcds that i had component protection activated on  the tv tuner. I was able today to remove component protection using odis-s and was able  to plug the antenas cables  . I have no errors on tv tuner now (in odis-s) but still have no 57- tv tuner as a installed component i' not understanding that.  Obd11 does not see it either , i'm at a loss don' t know what to do.

Have you added it in the gateway installation list?

3 hours ago, Camarao69 said:

Well if i add it to the installation list i have a no comunication error.

Is the tv tuner a subsystem of mib 5F ?

I believe it’s a system on its own. 
If you have no comms then maybe it’s wired incorrectly or not at all, or on the wrong canbus network