New car TSI rattle

Linko

Hello friends!

I recently bought a Skoda Karoq 1.5 TSI and have this annoying and weird rattle inside the cabin when the engine is idle. It usually starts after 2-3 minutes after the engine is working.

Informed the dealer of course and he suggested to wait 1000-2000km as the car is still new. Now have 1.5k and the noise is still present.

• I don’t seem to hear it coming from the engine while listening carefully with the hood open.
  • I saw online that people had similar noise / issues with the transmission (manual) and the noise disappears when the clutch is pressed. Mine is still there.
  • It doesn’t stop once the engine gets fully heated (90C) and even after a normal drive (20min).

Here is a video of the sound (please use headphones if possible) and you can noise doesn’t start immediately and I also at the end increase the revs briefly to show that it goes away than reappears when idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjXanrw9kZo

Did somebody encounter this problem? Is it normal for a TSI engine?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome.

Best when you have possible issues to not wait longer because there might be a 2 year or 3 year warranty where you are but then there is the 6 months / 6,500 mile / 10,500 km bit in the T&C's that some Simply Clever people at Dealerships say affects your warranty claim.

So as in the T&C's report to an Authorised Repairer ASAP.

hi all and especially  @TemT. I went to the dealer and they said it’s a normal behavior of the engine because of  the fuel 

injection method. They sent this video to Skoda for clarification.

I don’t hear it as loud as before and what a surprise didn’t reveal itself at all when test driving with the dealer mechanic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do you have any update about that noise? I've bought my Skoda Kamiq 1.5 TSI  DSG 3 months ago and after 5k km I have the same noise....
I went to 2 different Skoda garage in Poland and they said that this noise is sth normal... but it isn't I dindn't have that noise at the beggining.

2 minutes ago, Krajes said:
3 minutes ago, Krajes said:

@Sanqhar Did you have that kind of problem and solved by using better petrol? 

I haven't had this problem but then I always use the best fuel available. I am just saying try a tank full, all you have to lose is a small hit on your wallet. 

I know there is constant debate regarding these fuels but I have a lot of respect for the opinions of the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent "Honest John".

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/66040/standard-vs-premium-petrol---which-is-best-

tom

Sainsburry's Super unleaded 97 or Tesco Momentum 99 Super Unleaded might cost no more than BP, Shell, Texaco, Gulf etc 95 ron.

No need to pay extra for Super Unleaded 97 ron at BP, ESSO, Gulf or 99 Ron Shell V-Power Nitro + unless you like spending more than you need to 

or no Sainsbury or Tesco available with Super Unleaded.

Grrenenergy that produces and supplies to Tesco & ESSO and others has a partnership with Royal Dutch Shell for importation of fuels and storage.

PS

When Honest John posted what is in the link about Shell V-Power Nitro + it had changed from 98 ron to 99 ron and Tesco Momentum was 99 before them.

Honest John went into administration this year and was bought by Heycar.  Part financed by VW & Daimler Benz.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Really?, the extra octane is what many do pay extra for.  Lovely 100-102 ron in Continental europe.

(Race fuels of 102 and 107 are nice in being more fuel and consistent and with less unnecessary additives.)

The anti foam, detergents etc comes with many Super Unleadeds or just Unleaded.   

Do you think that the Additive / Detergent Package added to Shell V-Power Nitro + is better by 10 pence a litre than the 

Additive / Detergent Package added to Tesco Momentum, Esso or Sainsburry's Super Unleaded?

You have detergents in the oil, detergents in the fuel, just how much cleaning does a new engine need that got put out with duff engine management to be able to achieve WLTP Certification that VW needed to get.

1811161339_Carbon_Factors_Petrol_Final_report.pdf

I would agree with you...

...but then we'd both be wrong.😷

This conversation is going nowhere. 

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

Simples really.

Find faults, find causes of rattles etc, get them fixed and have the car as the engineers designed them to be.

Then use Super Unleaded because it is a higher octane if you want to,

but not to fix a vehicle with poor build quality or an early snagging fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I know what makes that sound. After 3 visits in workshop they found the issue - it is engine compartment venting valve. You can't do enything with that - it is the way how it works. Sometimes it works louder.

I would say the worst part about owning a new/nearly new Skoda is the running in period.  It is an arse.  Typically, you have to try and ignore a lot of the squeaks, rattles, odd sounds and performance issues - and wait until your vehicle has done over 6500 miles / 10000kms when I would say the vehicle is properly run in.  Every generation of TDi engine I've had has been better than the one before, but the more you use your engine, the better it will generally get.  If you are worried, try going for that first (hopefully complimentary) service early.  I would make sure that things like oil and coolant are good (please let us know if you don't know how to check that) and tyres are at the correct pressure. 

@varaderoguy

There is an issue with that, and Warranty 'Exclusions'  and the 6,500 mile / 6 month one which dealership staff like to try as a get out of having to do anything.

So report as soon as possible, have issues logged even if no source of noises found and no resolution.  

& Read the Warranty T&C's.

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 12.12.51.png

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2018.59c8de521ff537083074db669bd4a47d.pdf

Jeez!

If I drive a car and I hear a noise which I think may be an issue and the garage tell me it's normal or ' a characteristic' as they so often do,  I ask to drive a similar car. Now if that car replicates the same noise then the garage is correct - it's normal.  If the other car doesn't doesn't replicate the same characterisitcs then the garage is wrong.

What on earth has fuel got to do with it? The car has been designed to run on the 95 ron avilable in my country therefore I couldn't give a **** about any other fuel.

As for the additives making a difference -  here we go again, armchair experts at their very best.  I suppose an explanation of WHY additives makes a difference is too much too ask?  Not even the fuel companies are able to answer that so it'd be interesting to hear the armchair expert's explanation.

Some people really do talk b0ll0cks.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

I would say the worst part about owning a new/nearly new Skoda is the running in period.  It is an arse.  Typically, you have to try and ignore a lot of the squeaks, rattles, odd sounds and performance issues - and wait until your vehicle has done over 6500 miles / 10000kms when I would say the vehicle is properly run in.  Every generation of TDi engine I've had has been better than the one before, but the more you use your engine, the better it will generally get.  If you are worried, try going for that first (hopefully complimentary) service early.  I would make sure that things like oil and coolant are good (please let us know if you don't know how to check that) and tyres are at the correct pressure. 

Only Skoda?

And what is the running in period? Where does this 6500 mile figure come from?

Experience of running in about 5 TDI engines over the past couple of years....its an opinion based on experience...not a fact laid down in any manual.

Not every TDI drivers experience either.   Plenty cars are fine from the off.  

But seeing as the OP is posting about a 1.5 TSI then really experiences of TDI's are neither here nor there.

The OP's issue might be because the car has a GPF.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479195-car-behaving-strangely