Heated wing mirrors

teppin

Hi, I have heated wing mirrors on my mk2 Scout. But only one works. Does anyone know of a quick fix for this? Do they share a fuse or are they separate for example. 

Any thoughts/experience?

Cheers,  James 

24 minutes ago, teppin said:

heated wing mirrors on my mk2 Scout. But only one works.

Not from that information, no.

Do both adjusters work? If so, then the one element is probably burnt out. If the adjusters don't work either, then check the fuses,

• Like 1

Shared fuse and relay. 

Most likely the mirror element itself or the wire feeding it from the a-pillar connector is bust. Black* wire from pin 13 of the 28-way connector each side.

I'm hoping all mk2 fabias are the same irrespective of year, as you don't mention what year yours is, and I lack the patience to look it up in 3 different wiring diagrams.

*black/red on one side, black on t'other.

Less likely to be the earth wire as that is from inside the door loom, so less likely to get broken.

Mk2's are shocking for broken wires in the door bellows, so start there for a possible free fix.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 3

...If you can be bothered, try swapping the left and right glass over for a try. I think the plugs are the same so the dodgy one should still not work and the good one should, if there is no power. If however, the duff one does work and the good one does not, then it will be the element in the glass. New glass unless you can see a break and repair it but they are cheap enough from Eurocarparts, eBay or similar. Main dealer mirror glass is around £26-30. Not sure if scout has exact same mirrors though but the swapping should still work!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Don't even need to swap it, pull the one that does not work, switch them on and see if there is +12v at the mirror element wires, if there is the glass is fubar.

Yeah, you got to get pretty much behind the glass tho so if you don't have testing equipment, the swap is a simple thing. You won't put the glass in the frame, just connect the wires. Popping the glass is simple but take care not to crack it.

• Like 1