L&K Alloy Wheels - Diamond Cut?

dx4100

Thanks - feared they where but wanted to make sure...

I never realised how useless they where seems they don't last long.  How are people finding them on the Skoda ?    Mine comes in about 12 weeks and trying to work out how to care for them.

To care for them is like any other alloy (using pH neutral wheel cleaner), but if you kerb them they'll be much more expensive to repair than on regular alloys. Once kerbed, corrosion is more noticeable on diamond cut alloys, you should get them repaired sooner rather than later. That said, the tyres on the 19" rims stick out quite far, so I'd say there's a fat chance of you kerbing them unless you try...

All the alloy wheels on the UK Kodiaq's are diamond cut, except the Ratikon and Elbrus...

S - Ratikon

SE - Elbrus

SE L - Sirius

Edition - Triglav or Sirius

SportLine - Vega

Scout - Crater

L&K - Sirius

vRS - Xtreme

As mentioned using pH neutral cleaners helps a lot, but so does avoiding stone chips and kerbing.

The polished parts are not painted, they are only lacquered, so as soon as the lacquer is compromised and water gets underneath the corrosion of the alloy begins, often referred to as whiteworm...

Image result for diamond cut alloy corrosion

The slight positive is that as a result of the increased popularity of polished or diamond cut alloys, the mobile repairers have also upped their game, so access, availability and pricing of repairs has reduced.

• Like 1

Wow those are awful 😞  Hope they aren't yours 😞

Who the hell thought these where a good idea is beyond me.

My dealer has offered AutoTrust Cosmetic Repair and Alloy Wheel insurance for £450 for three years.  They cover diamond cut alloys.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I do know these insurance companies often say they won't fix corrosion which makes me think whats the point given what you are saying.

I am heavily considering getting some winter wheels and tyres.

Edited by dx4100

Regardless of having a set of winter wheels / tyres and safely storing your 'Good wheels'  or even removing when the car is brand new and collected and storing safely the 'White Worm' can be an issue and rear it's ugly head.

Then there is tyre changing where just a bit of careless handling or pressure on the bead breaker and tyre fitting machine can start off White Worm.

VW Group alloy wheels can have crap coatings.