Our octavia

The first job was to rid the stereo of all the previous owners information, I'd have thought they would have deleted their home address and all the places they had been before they sold it. 

Also after checking the maps version it was last updated in 2014, so I'll the the 6gb update on the go tomorrow. 

After going through all the owners manuals it has the amundsen stereo with sat nav and dab. 

Anyway today took it out for a long drive to get a dpf regen done. 

When we picked it up yesterday it was at 83%

Screenshot_20200118-124137.thumb.png.8a2c1a1a1e5ffb5a866830576179f416.png

The regen kicked in at around 95%

Screenshot_20200119-103723.thumb.png.467b3b213963d152ab47bf26b74b1282.png

Screenshot_20200119-104554.thumb.png.707e2ac04f012ada004c9e2854d7f2d2.png

And stopped at 24% 

Screenshot_20200119-104644.thumb.png.7079660fbe6bbbe70438482ea2d2b66c.png

I've also ordered a set of genuine skoda rubber floor mats. 

They're screen shots from an android app called vag dpf. It gives a readout of all the variables for the dpf including soot content and oil ash residue, the oil ash give you an idea of the life left. As the soot is burned off during a regeneration small amounts of it that can't be burned off are left and eventually fill the dpf to a point where it will need replacing. Mine is currently on 23g or 29% full at 71k miles so theoretically if it rises at the same rate it should be 200k before I need to replace it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caprixpack said:

They're screen shots from an android app called vag dpf. It gives a readout of all the variables for the dpf including soot content and oil ash residue, the oil ash give you an idea of the life left. As the soot is burned off during a regeneration small amounts of it that can't be burned off are left and eventually fill the dpf to a point where it will need replacing. Mine is currently on 23g or 29% full at 71k miles so theoretically if it rises at the same rate it should be 200k before I need to replace it. 

Thanks very much for the explanation - very informative!

That what I did on Sunday, took it out for a decent run on national speed limits roads.  Hopefully next weekend we'll be off to visit family 170 miles away so it will have a good chance to finish off what it started. 

Edited by caprixpack

On 20/01/2020 at 11:38, varaderoguy said:

A good brisk drive will fix your DPF issues!

Having participated in a few threads about DPFs on here, I think it's fair to say that it's much more complicated than that. If the DPF warning light comes on, there are some instructions in the user manual for speed and revs that amount to a good brisk drive, but if the warning light is not on then that style of driving is probably not going to help the DPF. A style of driving which uses more fuel is going to generate more soot, and ultimately more ash. Unless the DPF warning light comes on, I believe it is best to leave the car to take care of the DPF for itself.

It is a commonly held belief that diesels are not very suitable for low mileage drivers. I do around 8,000 miles per annum in my Octavia Scout, so petrol would seem to be a better choice for me, but only diesel was on offer in the MK3 Scout. Yet despite probably doing the wrong sort of mileage and wrong kind of journeys for a diesel, I have not seen the DPF warning light or experienced any DPF or engine issues in 4 years and 32,000 miles. If the car can be left to take care of the DPF for itself in the circumstances that apply to my car, then I reckon the same should apply to most other similar cars. From comments that I have seen on here it would seem that earlier cars with DPFs were more prone to problems, but I would expect any car the same age as mine (65 reg) or newer to be fine.

After 4 years of ownership I can tell when an active regen is in progress - fast idle speed and fan continuing to run with burning smell  after engine is switched off. The regens often seem to take place at unlikely times, e.g. at the end of a short local run after a run from Dorset to Norwich the previous day, and in slow traffic shortly after setting out. If a regen is interrupted, the car will keep trying to repeat it until it completes successfully.

I have the VAG DPF app and find it very reassuring to see that my DPF is in good health despite anything that I am doing or not doing to help it.  My advice would be to just enjoy the car, have a good brisk drive if the mood takes you, and let the car take care of the DPF for itself.                          

Thank you for that last reply. Yes, I would tend to agree that letting the DPF sort itself out is fine; my advice is generally there for short mileage drivers who are just use their diesels around toon and wonder why the DPF light comes on. Take the car for a good brisk drive and get plenty of heat into the DPF and engine will be good for the car.

@OldBoyScout

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

my advice is generally there for short mileage drivers who are just use their diesels around toon and wonder why the DPF light comes on.

I would say I was mainly that sort of a driver, except that I have never had the DPF light come on. Many trips are to a local superstore a couple of miles down the road, though we usually go out for a longer drive at weekends, more pootling about than a brisk drive. Anyway it seems that the car can take care of the DPF with my pattern of driving, and it is not a thing to worry about unduly.

I understand that an active regen should be triggered when the soot level reaches 45%, and further attempts will be made if it is not completed. The VAG DPF data from the OP starting with a soot level of 83% would suggest that a number of incomplete regens occurred before he took possession of the car, but he has successfully got it down to 24%.

39 minutes ago, caprixpack said:

My reasoning for triggering a regen was with it being sat of a forecourt for however many moths and an almost full dpf, I just wanted a clean slate so to put it to start with. 

Makes sense, not just for the DPF, but for the car generally which has not had the benefit of regular use for a while.

Assume you've got the 2.0 TDI, cracking engine, responds well to tuning and still gives 60-70mpg depending on how heavy your right foot is. My only grip was the poor throttle response but PedalBox sorted that out 😁. One more thing, when I got mine it had never been to a Skoda garage for service so had several outstanding recalls/updates which the garage did the first time I had it serviced (free of charge).

56 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

Makes sense, not just for the DPF, but for the car generally which has not had the benefit of regular use for a while.

Yeah, also I'm going to do the oil and filter, air and fuel filter. The oil and filter was changed when they did the timing belt and pulleys but again its just for my own reassurance. 

@vRSWitter it's the 1.6tdi, as its my wifes car tuning isn't really on the cards. Luckily it's been the skoda for all but the last service. 

Edited by caprixpack

I started this morning with pumping around 20 litres of diesel out of the passat then putting it into the octavia. 

IMG_25012020_095632_(1080_x_810_pixel).thumb.jpg.a01b1c56bb9850d3fa31a3a2e4985a70.jpg

Then after reading the post about the silica bag in the header tank, checked mine and removed said bag.

IMG_25012020_095648_(1080_x_810_pixel).thumb.jpg.8af29f86575019e5e4579448f891bfa8.jpg

I was going to do the oil and filter but as usual in Cumbria it's raining. 

Are fuel stations rare in Cumbria, or is the Passat dead?

If you're not bothered by premium brands for oil, then VAG'S own VW507.00 oil from Fuch's can be found for a lot less than the Castrol...

Screenshot_20200125-122323_eBay.thumb.jpg.219593c9467216e11ee4bd87ed083e9a.jpg

Passat is well dead, and though the best part of £30 worth of bp ultimate diesel would be better in the octavia than in the scrap man's car. 

Thats the same stuff I used in our passat but the castrol edge stuff was only £28 with free next day delivery so went with that.

Funnily enough from the same place. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223598844670

Although I've noticed the price of the vag brand stuff has been slowly rising, last time I bought it it was £24 and the time before that £20.

Edited by caprixpack
  • Like 1